the best cast iron heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 02:11 AM
camarokid81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best cast iron heads

putting an engine together for my van 1991 e150 5.0 aod
have a 25000 mile shortblock in the garage from a crash and heads are gone. was going to put this engine in a ford ranger with aluminum heads. sold the ranger and now i need this engine for the van. the heads that are on my van now are in need of work and not the orignal (engine or heads was mix matched) i am using a parts locating service to find heads for the van low mile wrecks and rollovers. i have found a set of 1990 mustang heads with 8000 miles on them and was thinking of getting them. i`am not building a hot rod van but would like the best stock heads that will work with the speed densidy injection system. eventually the truck will have equal length headers and equal length duel exaust. also was thinking of putting a good fuel pressure regulater and upping the pressure to the stock injectors like 3psi. i have access to gt40p heads but dont know if the stock computer will have problems with them. also they wont work with the stock exaust manifolds and the price is up there a little. like i said rite now the truck is stock and i just want to get it running rite now before i start modding it. heads are easier to change while i have it on the stand. the stock head casting number that the van came factory with is e7te-pa i have a good set of heads in the garage now casting number e6se-aa. they have heart shaped combustion chainbers. whats on the van now i was told are from a 89 cougar. i have no idea what they are yet but i know they take a odd spark plug. stock van plugs are different
and are the same as a stang. out of all this would i be better off with the gt40p heads and has anyone put them on a f150 or e150 using the stock computer and what did you do for exaust?
will mustang headers fit the trucks?? i just want to get the most i can using stock parts. keep cost to a minimum and make everything as easy as possible. because this is my daily driver i`am doing this to and not sure how long the engine has left .
going to try to get this done in the next 2 weeks so i dont trash this engine that is in the van now. it can be built into a 347 and stuffed in to something small and light thanks for reading

Old 04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
PigFarmer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best cast iron heads

You'd get along fine with the 40-P's and speed density. That be my first choice of the heads you have available- as long as you can address the spark plug placement issue. My second would be to work on the exhaust ports on the E7TE's and utilize them. You can remove the thermactor bumps and polish the exhaust runners and they'll flow good enough for what you're objective is. Running a good SD dual pattern cam with the E7TE's will wake 'er up.

Randy

Old 04-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the best cast iron heads

Or find a set of GT40, not GT40P heads and use them. They are pretty much the same as the P heads except the spark plugs are in the normal loaction. They came on the earlier (before 1997 I think) Explorer 5L engine and also on Mustang Cobras around 1993-5.

Old 04-12-2003, 01:03 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best cast iron heads

So here's yet another differing opinion.

The E6SE heads are excellent heads - closed chamber, high swirl heads, but the chambers are 69 cc's. The E7TE heads are truck heads - open chamber, but they have 64 cc chambers.

I don't know if your short block has pistons with notches in them. If not, you want the E6SE heads. If your pistons have notches, you'll have to use the E7TE heads. The E6SE heads will fit the block with notched pistons, but the compression will be lower. BTW, the E7TE heads might have a valve to piston problem with the un-notched pistons if that's what you have.

The GT-40p heads require different headers to clear the spark plugs. They're excellent heads, Ford's best, but the special headers are an extra expense. In stock form, they should clear un-notched pistons.

Oh, if your short block does not have notched pistons, it might not have the GT camshaft. Use the stock 5.0 GT cam, it's a good part and it works with speed density. Guys sell them for cheap on the corral.net.