Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very irritating heat shield-like noise coming from transmission at 2000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Jamerian
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok i will check asap tomorrow. It's funny i try to drown it out with music but its such a piercing sound that you cant. The worst is in the parkade where you hear everything..
My only issue about exhaust shields is the fact that it only does it when it's in gear. If it was the shields it would do it in park as well..
I am going to record the sound so we are on the same page.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
I had my Y pipe reworked when I had the duals put on so those shields are gone anyways.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Airslot
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a couple shield issues, and they only showed under accerlaration or certain cruise rpms. I remember the first was going over the rear axle, the second at the ypipe. They both sounded like transmission issues.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Jamerian
Junior User
I FOUND IT!!!!!!

So i had givin up on the noise issue i had since i bought this truck last year... i kind of dealt with it(turned music louder). So i was getting my truck ready for a cross canada excursion *punn intended* and noticed i did not put back on my inspection plate that goes on the tranny bellhousing. ( i had removed it a few months ago to see if it was causing the noise). The 2 screws were m.i.a. so i got two new ones that were a lot longer. I had to really reef them in because there was so much dirt built up on the threads but eventually did it. On the way home ...the sound was GONE!
so maybe the longer bolts did the trick?

Old 03-14-2016, 05:53 AM
MSG Milton
New User
Did you ever fix the problem? I have the same irritating noise on my 2010 f-150

Old 03-16-2016, 08:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
His last post says he put his inspection plate back on and the noise was gone. Possibly the motor to trans plate was vibrating and the inspection cover puts pressure on the trans plate which makes it stop making noise.

Milton have you checked your inspection plate to see if it is loose? Tap on it with your finger without the engine running to see if you can make it rattle.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:16 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
His last post says he put his inspection plate back on and the noise was gone. Possibly the motor to trans plate was vibrating and the inspection cover puts pressure on the trans plate which makes it stop making noise.

Milton have you checked your inspection plate to see if it is loose? Tap on it with your finger without the engine running to see if you can make it rattle.
Exactly what I thought it was.... Here is his original post....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-sound-is.html

Old 03-20-2016, 02:01 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
YAY! Thanks guys the new to me Limited I just got with 6.8L is doing exactly that and I can't find it when running and sitting under it!

Okay now to go check it out.........

Great throw back to infomation

Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
New limited? And no pics?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:50 PM
MSG Milton
New User
Two mechanics believe it's the torque converter. I'm having it replaced tomorrow. Hope this fixes the noise. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:41 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As stated previously check that inspection plate cover and the heat shields. Those little spot welds on the heat shields break and sound is very annoying. I put a large hose clamp on mine and noise was gone.

If it is the torque converter consider updating to a triple disc or a heavier duty one if you do any kind of towing.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:48 AM
HiZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
New limited? And no pics?
Here is some Sweet action

Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Nice looking X! Love the color!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM
gncw
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just picked up 2004 which i noted this same noise at 2000 rpm during the test drives. At the time, I stayed optimistic for a cheap and easy fix of a heat shield. Thanks to this thread, I inspected the state of my inspection plate and found that, while the bolts were tight, there was a gap between the center of the plate and the housing. My guess was it was acting like a reed at certain frequencies and contacting the housing to generate the rattle. As a first attempt to correct it, I removed the plate and hand bent the plate concave so that the center of the plate stayed in contact with the housing when the bolts were tightened. It was a 15 min fix that eliminated the noise so far. Before and after pics:

Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
That's exactly what mine was doing. I read this post on my phone the first time and jumped outside in the parking lot. Found some fresh leaves, stole the stems and stuck them in the plate to case contact point. DONE! Did it up and there is was. Completely gone.
Got home, remove bolts and doddle daddle bendy bendy, replace plate and install bolts. Even better!!!

Quick Reply: Very irritating heat shield-like noise coming from transmission at 2000rpm