6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best thing for 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
souther32
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing for 6.0?

Looking for a long term fix for my 2005 (late model perhaps 2006) f250 6.0 2wd

At 80k miles new EGR Valve and bad ICP (stranded on the side of the road multiple times)

I'm about to spend some money on making this a truck that will run for 200k+ without anymore trouble.
What upgrades would you do and in which order since I won't be doing them all at the same time.
Heard EGR Delete is a must (true on 2005 models?), but what about Head studs/head gaskets?

Also heard that most of the trucks were fixed by 2005, is this true?
Does the way you drive the truck affect its reliability?
New exhaust? Does there need to be turbo back pressure?
New Air intake?

Or am I just over reacting to the 6.0 problem hype... and I just need to shut up and drive.
Questions go on and on so please inform me of your experiences with this truck and recommendations you have.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best fix for a 6 leaker is trade it for a good V-10 if you can find one. The 6.0 is the worst engine Ford ever made. The only folks that love them are the Ford dealer service departments. I feel sorry for you dude.

Pap

A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by souther32
New Air intake?
Many issues were fixed by 2005. But not all.
You can do what ever you want to the exhaust (laws permitting). The turbo creates all the back pressure your motor needs.
Personally I like the 6.0 intake, no need to change it but there are lots of aftermarket options.

sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by souther32
Looking for a long term fix for my 2005 (late model perhaps 2006) f250 6.0 2wd

At 80k miles new EGR Valve and bad ICP (stranded on the side of the road multiple times)

I'm about to spend some money on making this a truck that will run for 200k+ without anymore trouble.
What upgrades would you do and in which order since I won't be doing them all at the same time.
Heard EGR Delete is a must (true on 2005 models?), but what about Head studs/head gaskets?

New Air intake?

Or am I just over reacting to the 6.0 problem hype... and I just need to shut up and drive.
Questions go on and on so please inform me of your experiences with this truck and recommendations you have.
Thanks
Go to the 6.0 section and read up the info in the Tech folder. Great information in there to keep the 6.0 reliable for a long time.

Basically, a coolant filter is very good, OEM filters only, Change oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k, No need for an Air Intake on a stock truck, Also no need for studs unless you're running a Tuner. Oh, and drive it hard sometimes, 6.0's loved to be worked.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pappy19
Best fix for a 6 leaker is trade it for a good V-10 if you can find one. The 6.0 is the worst engine Ford ever made. The only folks that love them are the Ford dealer service departments. I feel sorry for you dude.

Pap
There is no need for that. It helps no one. Keep it to yourself.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM
sammy77
Postmaster

Pap

Thanks for your help. Don't know where we'd all be without your useful info here.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
There is no need for that. It helps no one. Keep it to yourself.

You're right, I appologize.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Hopefully the OP will get some sound advice in this forum.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,517 Likes on 1,749 Posts
The main vulnerabilities for the 05-07 are leaks in the high pressure oil system. There are known fixes: one piece STC fitting, new standpipes, and new dummy plugs. After that, I would get gauges (scangaugeII is a great buy at $140 to $160) and a coolant filter. For myself, I sent the FICM (fuel injection control module or IDM for the 7.3L guys) off to have some electronics components upgraded and the solder reflowed - was $250 or so. Lastly, installation of the blue spring in the fuel pressure regulator will help maintain proper fuel pressure.

After that - proper maintenance!!!
OEM style filters, proper fluids, proper fluid change intervals, good fuel, keep batteries and alternator healthy, etc.

Just as an FYI - MANY people driving stock 6.0L trucks without even these mods and doing well. It is all about how proactive you want to be.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
You're right, I appologize.
Repentance is in order. Go get you a 6.0 pap.

For the OP. Get yourself a ScanGauge II(about $150). This little monitor can tell you a lot about what's going on inside the engine. There are ton of people here running them, and they are always willing to help someone decipher the data.

Change your oil regularly. Use only Motorcraft oil filters(FL-2016 <$20 at Wally World).

Start a regular service interval for your fuel filters. 10K-15K is common. There is an upper and lower filter. Once again, use factory fuel filters, or one of the few suitable alternatives.

Driving the vehicle on a regular basis is good to maintain the operation of the turbo. There are some internal parts that can perform poorly if left to sit for extended periods.

Head gaskets don't need to be replaced unless your current head gaskets are having problems. Be prepared, they may need to be replaced at some point. If it comes to that, there is a much more reliable fix.

EGR deletes are anyone's call. There are differing opinions. I won't say it's a mandatory mod.

A new exhaust can help reduce exhaust temps when under heavy loads, other then that it's personal preference. An aftermarket intake on a basically stock 6.0l is a waste of money IMO.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. This is the most supportive group of 6.0 owners you will ever find.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pap
What a bountiful font of wisdom there. I guess I should retire my 6.0. Over 200k and the only thing that I couldn't attribute to my mod happy frenzy is the FICM going out, oddly enough still covered by warranty (1.5 yrs ago).

Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru

Pap
Your ignorance is amazing! First of all Ford didn't make the 6.0. Secondly there are literally millions of 6.0's on the road that are trouble free. Also 80% off the problems are due to the egr system. So blame the damn government!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Also 80% off the problems are due to the egr system. So blame the damn government!

Not exactly true. The EGR system is just one of the easiest indicators that people can identify as being an issue, but not the root cause of the issue. The fact that it's an EPA mandated piece of equipment is icing on the cake for some people.

This is subject to much debate (chicken/egg type of debate), however, I honestly do not believe that the EGR system is the vile malignant system that people depict it to be.

Flowing 40% more fuel, still have the original fully functioning EGR system. Add on top of that I have one of the supposed worst years for EGR Coolers that are subject to failure.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 PM
dwalphinVT
Junior User
Dang, thats the second V10 fellow that has posted something on the 6.0 forum today! They must really know something we don't to be over here giving advice, maybe I made a wrong choice in motors.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 PM
IHbase
Elder User
There is no cost-effective long term fix (unless your labor is free and you are a great Ford tech!). Either you have a trouble-free unit or you are in for some significant service / prevention costs. Some engines are awesome. Some are from hell. Some things seem to help some issues. Stock motors worked hard with good maintenance seem to have the fewest issues with injectors, glow plugs and turbos. The HEUI system performs better with clean, quality oil. Staying on top of batteries and charging systems will help control modules. But other things may fail and you can not do anything about that besides change trucks. My engine has been awesome- but others have had endless issues. -Mike

Quick Reply: Best thing for 6.0?