2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
No way in hell I'd put Non-Skid onto a vehicle. Or 2 part epoxy paint.

Non-Skid is...think of Linex, but with sharp edges that will rip your pants. 2 Part epoxy paint is some foul stuff as well.

I picked up some self-etching primer today. It's supposed to combat existing rust. But since I'm going to grind down to bare metal, that shouldn't be a factor. I just want a good adhesion primer for when I lay down the Duplicolor Black paint.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure a number of us would like to see the finished job as there have to be many here with the same problem. Good luck with it.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tylus, is it worth going to your local TV news stations for this repeat issue? Here in Tulsa we have a channel that does a "Problem Solvers" show weeknights. Viewers with legitimate problems with companies, landlords, etc that can not get them resolved contact the news station and the investigative reporters get involved. Once the people/business are contacted and scared to receive big bad press for their wrong doing they resolve the issue with the complainant real quick.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I've already sent out feeler e-mails to the local news station. Guess I should call and see if they are interested. Not likely to get a response, but you never know.

Also got an e-mail reply back from Ford today. I had demanded my case get reviewed by higher authority. My Complaint Rep finally told me to e-mail him pictures of the area and he would have his Supervisor look into it. So I used my Canon SLR pics (not rinky dink 5MP camera Dealer used).

here is the reply. I'm a little pissed. It rains every ****ing day. I'd have to wash my vehicle daily based on his reply. Strange how my 2006 F-250 has been on island since Jan 2006 and it's blemish free
On 11/2/2011 9:49 AM, Cleary, Mark (M.) wrote:
Mr. Griggs,

I submitted the pictures to my in-house engineer, and this is his response.

Mark,
The rust is from salt water sitting on the roof, morning mist, rain etc... He lives on an island surrounded by salt water. Needs to wash his car more often. It would not be covered under warranty because its surface rust and not a perforation.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide better news. Please feel free to contact me in the future with any other concerns with your vehicle.

Mark Cleary
Customer Service Manager, Los Angeles and Hawaii
Ford Motor Company Customer Care Team
(866) 631-3788 x77786

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jeremiah Griggs [mailto:*************
> Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:11 PM
> To: Cleary, Mark (M.)
> Subject: 2008 Expedition with rusting roof
>
> Hello,
>
> We have spoken on the phone several times previously and lastly today.
>
> Jeremiah Griggs
> Home: 808-XXX-XXXX
> Cell: 808-XXX-XXXX
>
> Case #: 475601419
> 2008 Expedition EL Limited
> VIN #: 1FMFK19538LA51992
>
> Please look at the attached pictures and have a supervisor as well. I am not certain how this is being categorized as anything other than rust. You can clearly see the paint bubbling and bare metal on 3 spots. The entire roof is representative of this, just to lesser degrees.
>
> I would like to re-iterate that I paid $40,000 for this vehicle 2.5 yrs ago. It has been painted 4 times now to correct paint deficiencies from the factory. I simply cannot understand how this vehicle has repeatedly had paint issues time after time, and yet Ford slams the door in my face for this repair.
>
> In addition, it makes no sense that Ford will not fix this now, but is perfectly willing to let this all rust out and perforate the roof. Thus requiring more repairs, more paint, and more time in the repair shop.
> All which will ultimately cost more money.
>
> Thank you for your time.
> Jeremiah Griggs

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Sent this back as a reply. Not gonna achieve anything, but it makes me feel better.
Mark,

I would like to thank you for your help in this matter.

Unfortunately Ford has seen fit to drive me away from their brand. I was a loyal Customer for many years. I have owned many used Fords, and purchased 3 brand new in the last 5 yrs. I fail to understand how Ford can treat a customer as I've been treated. Especially one who has spent over $110,000 to buy said NEW vehicles.

As a further insult to injury, each of those 3 vehicles I have purchased BRAND NEW have required paint repairs. The Expedition alone was painted by 3 different shops on 4 separate visits. It was actually painted 6 times in total using 2 different Dealerships. Each of the 3 paint shops did inadequate repairs that required several reworks.

I find it funny that I can search Ford discussion forums and find MANY people who have had exactly the same paint issues as me. From my 2009 Mustang (hood corrosion) to my 2008 Expedition (hood, tailgate, doors, and ROOF). It's even a big enough problem that Technical Service Bullitens (TSB) have been issued.

Between the Dealership and paint issues in 2009 where they lost and damaged my vehicle during a time period of 37 days, to my latest warranty repairs done in Sept 2011, and now yet another paint defect that I'm being refused coverage on...well, it's hard to keep eating on a rotten sandwhich.

I refuse to drive a rusting vehicle that I've owned since new for 2.5yrs...and hope that the roof perforates before the Corrosion Warranty expires. Then deal with the inadequate and incompetent Dealerships, and Ford itself. I will be fixing my vehicle personally out of pocket, then selling the Expedition. Since Ford failed to fix their mistake, I will take my business elsewhere. I would rather not drive a Suburban, but that is what I'm being forced to do. Fool me once, Shame on You. Fool me Twice, shame on ME!

If Ford suddenly decides to do the right thing, Ford has my contact information. I will not be making another $40,000+ mistake with this company again. This nightmare has to end at some point.

Thank you,
Jeremiah Griggs

P.S. I am doing everything in my power to spread the word about this situation. This and my previous problems have been blogged/posted on several Ford Forums. I am also pursuing News Stations and any other media outlets available to me. This Warranty repair situation is ridiculous and never should have been a debate. Hopefully I can affect Ford's bottom line with sales. The more the better. Feel free to forward this to superiors. Maybe someone higher up can retract head from **** orifice and do the correct thing for a long-time customer.

P.S.S. Regarding the washing my vehicle comment. I am Active Duty Navy. It rains every single day in Hawaii. I was deployed >10 months this last yr. Basically you are telling me that I must wash my vehicle every single day or it will rust out. I challenge that statement. I have owned many Fords in the past that failed to rust out when they weren't washed. My current 2006 F-250 has been in Hawaii since Jan 2006. It still looks like a brand new truck. Strange seeing as it is treated exactly as my Expedition is...if not worse since it's my personal vehicle and it sits for months at a time. My wife takes the Expedition to a local carwash at least 3 times per month. Blaming salt and rain is nothing more than an EXCUSE to avoid fixing my vehicle.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
. My current 2006 F-250 has been in Hawaii since Jan 2006. It still looks like a brand new truck. Strange seeing as it is treated exactly as my Expedition is...if not worse since it's my personal vehicle and it sits for months at a time. My wife takes the Expedition to a local carwash at least 3 times per month. Blaming salt and rain is nothing more than an EXCUSE to avoid fixing my vehicle.
Bravo, Bravo, Author, Author.

All of it was great but I think that pointing out that an older vehicle is in great nick while the newer rots alongside is a great point.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Beechkid
Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
These guys might be able to help- they have done a ton of reasearch and documentation of the oem paint problems
Zestar Corporation
Ford Paint Peeling, Ford Paint Problems, Dodge Paint Peeling, Honda Paint Peeling, Chrysler Paint Peeling, GM Paint Peeling, Ford Paint Chips, Toyota Paint Peeling, Nissan Paint Peeling, Mitsubishi Paint Peeling, Mercedes Paint Peeling, Hyundai Paint
3422 West Oaks Drive
Novi, Michigan, 48377
888-755-2658

Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Thanks for the link Beechkid, but as far as I can tell, the Zestar Corporation is basically a company trying to sell a book. That and they consult Dealerships and Companies about paint. Maybe I'm wrong. Their site is very cluttered and makes no sense to me

I did find this nifty video from September of this year by NBC Chicago detailing Fords craptastic paint issues.
| NBC Chicago

Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the link Beechkid, but as far as I can tell, the Zestar Corporation is basically a company trying to sell a book. That and they consult Dealerships and Companies about paint. Maybe I'm wrong. Their site is very cluttered and makes no sense to me

I did find this nifty video from September of this year by NBC Chicago detailing Fords craptastic paint issues.
| NBC Chicago
good video, i wonder what all vehicle this effects? i dont seem to have any paint issues other then abuse on out 00 ex

Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
We do get the vehicles with the rail fallout, in from the dealer, right off the transporter.
We clean them up and fix any problems.
That can mean as much as a repaint from bare metal outward.
We were one of the shops selected to do the repaint of patrol units here on the Ms. coast.
Complete paint strip down to metal including E-coat.
I have not seen any Fords with your problems.
I wonder if lemon laws might be applicable in this case.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on the state there are time limitations on the "Lemon Laws."

Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,441 Likes on 2,115 Posts
Intersting and educational thread. I thought the paint problems of the 1970's were a thing of the past.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Beechkid
Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

| NBC Chicago
Yeah they do like to sell their book...call em though...they will help.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

A strange thing happened today. We have a 2008 F-150 HD on the pier for people working on my Boat.

I was curious and looked her over. Shouldn't be, but I was surprised at the paint carnage. Truck has fewer miles than my Expy

Rear Tail Drivers side and 4x4 sticker

Fuel Door

Roof

Drivers/Passengers Pillars where they meet Fender

Granted that this is a work truck...but damn that's alot of spots. Roofs isn't terrible yet. It's at point where a little scrubbing could nix most of the rust

Glad to see Ford has such a quality product. This was a random chance discovery. For me to find that many problems on a random truck. Especially another 2008 model. WOW!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
man they dont make um like they used to. they sure do cost allot more now though

Quick Reply: Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me