2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Law
I think that makes my point about this being a design defect, I don't think that an owner should be required to get on top of their trucks and washing and waxing the roof as much as really needs to be required with this design. Really it is not easy to do. As salts and acidic minerals deposit up there they will eventually eat through the paint causing this. If they just reversed the dimples this would have never happened.

My Suburban's roof is dimpled outward, are GM engineers a bit smarter, I really don't think so. I can't figure out why they did this.

Johnny
Good point. I assume the dimples are for sheer strength but should work reversed. Probably not as pleasant to look at but man, that rust is bad. Has it eaten through the clear coat in front of the channel also Tylus?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah they are there for strength as that is a very large panel. Any weight and it would just flex without the dimples.

I'm not even tall enough to see the top of my truck without stepping on the running boards or the tires and I'm not a too short at 6ft. So reversing the dimples probably wouldn't be much of a aesthetic hit. When is the last time you really looked at the top of your Expy?

On my Suburban they went full length and put rubber strips on top to prevent damage from something going up there. I think that is what is saved by going inward. The cost of wear strips....

There is no way this is Tylus' fault even if he didn't wash his car from day one IMO. Here he has to deal with the pain of getting it fixed. Should never have happened.

Johnny

Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It's getting more interesting. Ford Customer Complaint guy called me 3 days after I filed my complaint. Told me to take it to Honolulu Ford. Apparently he was told by Cutter Ford that the other Dealership had done Warranty repairs on the roof in 2009.

I corrected him on that. So he is "investigating" the situation. Roof has never been painted. So I have no idea where that story came from.

So far I've been getting alot of finger pointing and nobody who will step up and tell me who I should be dealing with. Sounds like Cutter Ford is trying to wash their hands of me before things go any further.
I'm going the path of being a major annoyance now. Calling, e-mailing, and talking in person to every person I can think of who might be interested in hearing my story. Whether they want to or not.
Originally Posted by XB70
That didn't happen overnight. The OP makes it sound like all those rust spots just appeared one day. I think this is the first time he's looked at his roof.
Nope. I'm part of this small organization called the US Navy onboard a Fast Attack Submarine in Pearl Harbor. Rather than washing my vehicles and seeing my family I was somewhere in the Middle East. I just got back from a small 6 month deployment. Prior to that, I was only in Port for 10 days following a 2 month deployment. Last year I was deployed damn near 11 months. FYI: I won't be washing either vehicle next month either

Originally Posted by berry1234
Good point. I assume the dimples are for sheer strength but should work reversed. Probably not as pleasant to look at but man, that rust is bad. Has it eaten through the clear coat in front of the channel also Tylus?
no. strangly the rust problem is strictly limited the the channels. The paint from windshield to where the channels start is in great condition

Originally Posted by Johnny Law
When is the last time you really looked at the top of your Expy?

Here he has to deal with the pain of getting it fixed. Should never have happened.
I am 6'3"...so seeing up there isn't a problem really. I think April was the last time I looked up there. We had hauled some toys for the kids and I had to strap things down. Don't remember seeing anything then

Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

FYI on the Warranty for Paint

1yr/12k miles for general rust - no questions asked
5yr/60k miles for corrsion/rust - must completely perforate the panel. surface rust is not sufficient for repairs

I currently fall under the 5yr/60k warranty. But I can't nail down a straight answer about repairs. I keep getting a "it depends" answer on whether or not Ford will fix the roof at this point.

Fingers crossed that they'll fix it now vice later down the road when it finally rusts completely through. Don't know what I'll do if they decide to wait

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
oh well by the time i get a ford it needs a paint job anyhow

Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tylus
INope. I'm part of this small organization called the US Navy onboard a Fast Attack Submarine in Pearl Harbor. Rather than washing my vehicles and seeing my family I was somewhere in the Middle East. I just got back from a small 6 month deployment. Prior to that, I was only in Port for 10 days following a 2 month deployment. Last year I was deployed damn near 11 months. FYI: I won't be washing either vehicle next month either
If you're a submariner, you're short and not tall enough to see or wash the roof.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
buck up little feller, its ok, dont go leaving ford over something so small.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
huggyb1972
Tuned
Man that stinks I had a 03 Supercrew was down on the ground cleaning the door frames trying to take care of my first new truck extra special I started to wipe of the bottom of the door and noticed the fisheyes in the paint and the lack of coverage the sealer on the door panels would not let paint stick to it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by b-uno
buck up little feller, its ok, dont go leaving ford over something so small.
Im not leaving Ford, but i am done with this vehicle. Every single panel except the roof has been repainted. And now that too will be sprayed

Been pricing 2005 Excursions and 2010/2011 used Flex. Cant do anything until i know if Ford is going to fix it, or make me wait until a hole rusts through

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tylus
Im not leaving Ford, but i am done with this vehicle. Every single panel except the roof has been repainted. And now that too will be sprayed

Been pricing 2005 Excursions and 2010/2011 used Flex. Cant do anything until i know if Ford is going to fix it, or make me wait until a hole rusts through
muritic acid is your friend.

or table spoons of salt on them spots wetted to a paste.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I'll keep that in mind. It's 1 PM and still no call from Ford. They didn't call yesterday and haven't returned my calls from yesterday. I hate this crap

Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Thumbs down

What you're advocating is warranty fraud, plain and simple. It's illegal anywhere you go and could eventually land someone in jail.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Crazy001

What you're advocating is warranty fraud, plain and simple. It's illegal anywhere you go and could eventually land someone in jail.

would it be fraud to park next to the ocean everyday too instead of in the arizona desert?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ford-trucks.com ("Site")
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE

You are strictly prohibited from posting or transmitting any unlawful ................ material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
well if the area had paint on it, the muratic acid or salt would have no effect right?

dont put it on your truck, it could be illegal tho.

Quick Reply: Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me