6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Exhaust temp sensor failure / Complete shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 PM
TexasTroop
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust temp sensor failure / Complete shutdown

Ok guys,

So I just finished up a nice family vacation at Port Aransas and was heading back to the Dallas area. I was passing a farm tractor and 3 other cars that were driving very slow. It was a 2 lane State Highway so had to pass as soon as possible. Got up to 95 and as I was slowing back down and getting back into my lane, the entire truck went dead. Display read something like Stop Safely Now. I pulled over and it was done. Had to sit in 100 degree heat for 1.5hours, towed to Ford dealership an hour away, and they diagnosed it as a busted exhaust temp sensor because the exhaust got too hot according to them. I only have 46,000 miles so they said they'd warranty it. However, they saw the speed readout and hinted my speed was responsible. Now I don't drive 95 everywhere I go but I frequently drive in rural areas and when you pass 3 cars or so at a time it's not uncommon to momentarily reach 90-95.

They couldn't get the sensor until Monday so my truck is now 500 miles from home and I had to pay for a rental car to get home. I'm so sick of all these problems with the DPF, regens and the massive amount of heat. I've read about the Spartan tuners and DPF delete packages but I don't know much about them. What do ya'll recommend? I rarely tow anymore these days and definitely won't be doing any racing. I don't have to do an emissions test for my inspection so I'm not too worried about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2008 F-350 6.4L Crew Cab 4x4 3.73

Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Do it, you won't regret it.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What he said... You'll love it!!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:45 AM
TexasTroop
Freshman User
I looked at their website and wasn't sure of which specific package to get. Obviously I want the tuner and DPF delete but there was just so many options I wasn't sure which way to go. I haven't been on this site in a while and had never heard of Spartan until a few weeks ago when I picked my truck up from the dealership. My service advisor told me about it!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
This is my opinion. Get the tuner, a 5" downpipe back exhaust, and an S&B intake. Buy 3 new temperature sensors to place in the exhaust if your truck has some miles on it. They can be tough to get out.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
What was the EGT temp? Which sensor? I have hit 1425 a couple of times with no ill effects.

Mine happened on long grades towing following a downshift into 4th gear though. They were just brief spikes.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM
couch2
New User
What's the cost of the egt sensors I am also seriously considering this kit? Anybody wanna buy a edge juice programmer?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 PM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasTroop
Ok guys,

So I just finished up a nice family vacation at Port Aransas and was heading back to the Dallas area. I was passing a farm tractor and 3 other cars that were driving very slow. It was a 2 lane State Highway so had to pass as soon as possible. Got up to 95 and as I was slowing back down and getting back into my lane, the entire truck went dead. Display read something like Stop Safely Now. I pulled over and it was done. Had to sit in 100 degree heat for 1.5hours, towed to Ford dealership an hour away, and they diagnosed it as a busted exhaust temp sensor because the exhaust got too hot according to them. I only have 46,000 miles so they said they'd warranty it. However, they saw the speed readout and hinted my speed was responsible. Now I don't drive 95 everywhere I go but I frequently drive in rural areas and when you pass 3 cars or so at a time it's not uncommon to momentarily reach 90-95.

They couldn't get the sensor until Monday so my truck is now 500 miles from home and I had to pay for a rental car to get home. I'm so sick of all these problems with the DPF, regens and the massive amount of heat. I've read about the Spartan tuners and DPF delete packages but I don't know much about them. What do ya'll recommend? I rarely tow anymore these days and definitely won't be doing any racing. I don't have to do an emissions test for my inspection so I'm not too worried about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2008 F-350 6.4L Crew Cab 4x4 3.73

Let me revive this thread to state this just happened to me. I was driving and got the warning notice [Stop Safely Now]. I pulled over and my truck was dead. The electrical came on, but the engine refused to turn over. I got towed, they ran the diag on the truck and it came back as a failed Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. Argh!!!!!

The part is gonna cost me $128 (Local Shop's Marked up price), $105 for the Diag, and 2/hrs labor to replace it. WTF!!!! A Stupid Exhaust sensor shuts down the whole truck?

Can somebody confirm for me that if I got a DPF Delete Kit installed, this failing sensor issue would never be a problem again?

Thanks,
Alby

Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
confirmed, I think. (boy, is that wishy washy or what) There is still an EGT sensor after deleting. That's a good thing, you need it to monitor EGT. But, you can set the tuner to defuel the engine before you get the EGTs too hot. What I don't know is where the sensor you cooked is. If it's in the exhaust stream south of the downpipe then it will not fail again because it will be in you attic. I'm not sure what the source of the EGTs is after deleteing but someone wh knows will be along shortly.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue prior to deleting the DPF. Now I only have the ones by the turbo left. The exhaust ones are gone with the minimax and lo and behold, no more loss of power due to a sensor in the damn exhaust.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I recall correctly, the most common failure of a EGT sensor is the last one in the exhaust. Many people have had the sensor fail & Ford denies warranty because their argument is that it isn't part of the emissions because it's not in the DOC or DPF. A close friend had his fail, sane issue, truck dies and several hundred dollar repair.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
I had the same issue prior to deleting the DPF. Now I only have the ones by the turbo left. The exhaust ones are gone with the minimax and lo and behold, no more loss of power due to a sensor in the damn exhaust.

Thank God.

Sounds like the DPF is more trouble than it's worth. I just can't get over why anybody at Ford designed a system so that your whole truck shuts down because a sensor fails. Couldn't it just flash a message like, "EGT Sensor Failed -- Replace Immediately" and let you keep on driving? Who gives a rat's azz if the DPF isn't properly filtering. Gezzz!!!

It's like having a Christmas Light blow out and the whole strand fails.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have no problems with my sensors or dpf but if I did I would delete immediatly.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM
AlbyVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I have no problems with my sensors or dpf but if I did I would delete immediatly.

Now that my 2008 F250 has passed 5 years on my 5yr/100,000 warranty, the time has come to start modding my truck like crazy.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM
mich800
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
If I recall correctly, the most common failure of a EGT sensor is the last one in the exhaust. Many people have had the sensor fail & Ford denies warranty because their argument is that it isn't part of the emissions because it's not in the DOC or DPF. A close friend had his fail, sane issue, truck dies and several hundred dollar repair.
Yep, that is exactly what happened to me.

Quick Reply: Exhaust temp sensor failure / Complete shutdown