Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
after market exhaust ??

Ok guys in so cal.

Im looking to put an exhaust on my truck soon.

I hear that if you mod the exhaust in so cal it will not pass smog inspection. ?

I know they are starting to smog our trucks. my best friend who lives in Bakersfield got a smog inspection at test only center on his last registration.
03 250 7.3.
fortunately his truck is all stock and he had just finished a complete long block.

i know i can keep my old exhaust and put it back on for inspection if or when my time comes. i dont want to go hog wild on the exhaust, just something that will help the motor a little.

do i need a full exhaust ??

whats your thoughts
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Elder User

DieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to all
The only concern would be if you have a catalytic converter or not. IIRC you shouldn't have a cat on your truck. Take a look underneath just to make sure. If you don't have a cat, then you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you have a cat, then you will have to reinstall it before smog inspection.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:49 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
You can modify your exhaust and be just fine with SMOG. Some 7.3s came with a catalytic converter. If yous does you will need to keep it. Other wise you may do what ever you want to it (SMOG wise..).

However, if your exhaust is too loud (hard to do on a truck with a turbo) or if you dont have a muffler, you can get a ticket. But that will not fail you on a SMOG. All SMOG does is check for emissions standards, and as of right now (just tested earlier this year) very little testing is being done. They check for check engine lights, excessive smoke on acceleration, and "obvious modifications to the emissions systems." So with an exhaust system you're safe.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Postmaster

orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.orng1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Like they said only thing to worry about is if it has a cat. If it doesn't you're good.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter

Tags
2011, 250, 73, 73catalyticconverter, aftet, aftrr, exchaust, exhaust, f150, ford, forumd, market