Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
Started rebuilding the doors.

After all ... there are 4!!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

We replaced the inner and outer panels on both drivers side doors. It seems I forgot to take pictures of the outer skin install... (lots of hammer & dolly action)

I am waiting on My latest Mid Fifty order so we can rebuild the passenger side doors, rebuild the rear leafs, and the master cylinder.

Click Here to become a RI Chapter Member

Tom - Rhode Island Chapter Leader

"Speed is just a question of money... How fast can you go?" - Mad Max
Old 03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
We rolled the truck out to check out the new roof skin.

After striking out with local Sheet metal shops for my drip rail, I headed to my buddies Salvage yard. I was determined to find "donor" drip rail!

He had a 70's Ford Country squire wagon. The wagon had good drip rail on one side, but the other was shot(rotted). I didnt feel safe with only one side, so I kept looking.

I then came apon a 1975 Ford Pinto Woody wagon (lol... decals and fake wood trim). The Pinto Wagon had good drip rail on both sides and the profile looked almost exact!!

I broke out the saws all, and cut the WHOLE roof of the pinto, brought it back to the garage where the crew cab is, and we dismantled the drip rail.

We then fitted the drip rail to the truck.

And recycled some of the roof skin as filler panels. (see the cream material)

Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Excellent work. Good find. Great thread.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Fitted the roof panel to the existing roof area.

We step flanged the forward seam, and cleco'd the panel to the front roof.

Trimmed the excess and radius the corners.

Clecos are your friends.

We removed the roof, trimmed, fitted, trimmed some more, then step flanged the rear of the second cab.

Started spot welding everything together starting at the front.

Then worked around to the back.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Great progress! You're making it look so easy.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Gotta hand it to ya, man, that's one helluva project! Looking good, and making great progress!! Keep it up and those pics commin!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Posting Guru

Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Looking awesome!

Wanted: '53-56 horn button, '56 wiper arm
Parts I have that I don't need: F600 Running boards, F600 running board brackets (2), 272 fuel pump
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Interesting direction you've taken. I hope I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect your flat roof panel is going to warp and oilcan during the welding and/or when you take it outside in the summertime and the sun heats it. The flanged joints are not going to be able to be stretched after welding. I think I would have looked for a panel truck roof or maybe a station wagon if you wanted a flatter profile so it would have had a compound crown to it. There's a good reason vehicles don't have perfectly flat panels.
As you've found and maverikman will find, the drip rails are not just an L or U shaped piece of metal welded to the body, but is a somewhat complex assembly of multiple panel edges spotwelded together inside the gutter (and then covered in sealer) that cannot be simply cut off.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Elder User

keith56_cruz_cab has a good reputation on FTE.keith56_cruz_cab has a good reputation on FTE.
you can weld ribs on it ....worked for me

Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 AM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Oh wow! Suicide rear doors?? And a lowered lid! Niiiiice. That's a nice lookin quad-cab you got there, Keith.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Junior User

joe doyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 56 Crew Cab Show

Tom it looks like you are a experienced body man you make it look to easy.How did you form the roof was it just a flat sheet hand formed in place or did you use the fancy metal shaping tools.How did you mach up the two cabs from looking at mine the back is wider than the front?You should have your truck build put on one of the saturday truck shows keep up the good work.Keep on trucking
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Elder User

rustyrelic has a great reputation on FTE.rustyrelic has a great reputation on FTE.rustyrelic has a great reputation on FTE.rustyrelic has a great reputation on FTE.
Great build, thanks for taking the time to post pictures. Looking forward to all your updates.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

We finished welding up the roof and brought it ouside to take some more pics.

You can really see the Curve to the roof now.

Well.... I think a 190 pounds of Fabricator guy shows just how strong our roof is!!!!

We accomplished the strengh by both radiusing the new roof skin and by the useage of some Dodge Panel truck roof bows from my buddies part truck he was scrapping.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

While my buddie started mudding the roof I worked on installing the fuel tank. I ended up using the F-28-D fuel tank that seems to be popular with the F100 crowd.

I trimmed 3/8" off the chassis rails, and cut about 1" off the crossmember to get the tank where I needed it.

I then installed a 1-1/2" square tube behind the cut out crossmember to strengthen up the crossmember. I still need to finish the crossmember but it gives you an idea of where im heading.

I did run into a small issue that I didnt remember reading about.

If your running the stock rear suspension and or the rear hangers, your going to have clearance issues with the square tube frame you build for the tank to sit on.

I solved the problem buy suspending the tank with some 1-1/2 x 1/4" straping, front and rear.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
New User

MrMach71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That thing is sweet!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1956, 56, buddy, cab, cabs, crew, double, f100, fioo, fire, maryland, md, pictures, sale, truck