Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rear end locker?? Anyone have one??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 AM
1982_f150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end locker?? Anyone have one??

Hey guys? I was hoping someone could shine some light on these things for me. My truck is 2wd, and I recently moved to northern Alberta where it's snow 5 months out of the year, will a rear end locker work to my advantage? Any one use one in the snow? Thanks

Grant

Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be hesitant to run a locker any where that ice is an occurring thing! I have been on ice with a tru-trac once and an old Detroit locker a couple of times! That cured me quick! They swapped ends on me ^so fast I didn't remember which way I started! I'll stick with a good limited slip for my snow truck it's predictable! Granted I don't drive in it all the time ^so maybe someone else has better experiences! ^so I'll let them talk...
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 01:06 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good snow tires will be the best thing you can do for yourself.

And since you're on here asking about this and have a 2wd I'm going to assume you are heading there from somewhere less snowy.

I highly suggest some type of undercoating on your truck, like Fluid Film, before winter starts to help keep some of the rust away. You can't prevent it 100% but you can minimize the damage.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
I have been on ice with a tru-trac once and...That cured me quick! They swapped ends on me ^so fast I didn't remember which way I started! I'll stick with a good limited slip for my snow truck it's predictable!
Huh? A TrueTrac is a limited slip design, just clutchless. You had problems with it in the snow?

Stewart

Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Sorry stewart my bad that was what I replaced it with! I guess it was ^so bad my brain is trying to erase all evidence of it! Power Traxx, was that P.O.S. Thanks for the catch
Jim and fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Ah, ok.

I was gonna say, I have a TrueTrac in my Lightning and it's been great whether I was drag racing, autocrossing, daily driving, or driving in the snow in Nevada one weekend a few years back.

Stewart

Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
A lightning in the snow! That must have been a hand full
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
My dually has the spicer 80,4:10 LS....and its a scary ride on ice...and a couple inches of snow required 4x4. It's great for leaving 4 black stripes on a dry road....but crappy on everything else, a slight rain and I can donut it easily. Hopefully it'll wear out soon and I can drive normally. I vote quality snow tires

Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Airjammer
Freshman User
I have grown up and spent most of my life in the mud and snow. Whether for fun or for work, Tires are where to start, all the high tech stuff may help some but in the end if you cant get the power onto the road then you're just spinnin yer wheels.
Skinny tires work better for the snow, wide tires for the mud.
Hope that helps.
AJ

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Hmmm...maybe a grippy set of super singles on my rig for winter !!!? You may be on to something, it'll look odd....but looking cool doesn't get you un-stuck...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mtdigger
Hmmm...maybe a grippy set of super singles on my rig for winter !!!? You may be on to something, it'll look odd....but looking cool doesn't get you un-stuck...
If you are goin to be in more mud than snow that would be a good avenue to look down. if snow I'd look at some aggressive 9.50 wides stay dualed and get a set of chains.

AJ

Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 AM
1982_f150
Senior User
Yea I moved here from Vancouver island, only snows there 3 time a year. I'm not so much worried about ice as I am about getting stuck getting out of my back ally and onto the plowed roads.. Thanks 7.3 Rocket, I'll look into that, isn't fluid film just lube? I was thinkin about throwin a coat of rubberized undercoat under her.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1982_f150
Yea I moved here from Vancouver island, only snows there 3 time a year. I'm not so much worried about ice as I am about getting stuck getting out of my back ally and onto the plowed roads.. Thanks 7.3 Rocket, I'll look into that, isn't fluid film just lube? I was thinkin about throwin a coat of rubberized undercoat under her.
It is a corrosion inhibiter. It will only last you a winter or so but it does work. We use it on salt spreaders and snow plows here.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM
1982_f150
Senior User
I'll give it a shot, thanks. Anyone have a good winter tire to suggest? Im running BFG all terrains now

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
The new all terrain design is so-so in the snow, the older ones are better. Anything with deep spaced out treads is good, and x2 yes thin is better. I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life and had a 2wd 85 GMC 1500 for my first vehicle, no lockers, no abs, no power windows, you get the picture. I found that the best thing to do is put as much weight as you can in the bed. I don't mean fill it to the brim with sand, but add a good 600 lbs of bricks, CMU, sand, etc. I used to put a 2x10 scaffold plank up against my wheel well and fill from that to the tailgate with bricks.

Lockers would be nice, but I'm 50/50 on having a permanently locked rear. You'll really only need it some of the time, but mostly you wont. Granted it would be great to have when you need it, but I still don't think that outweighs having to deal with it all the time.

Your best path is good tires, a lot of weight above your rear wheels, and skilled light foot driving.

Edit: Carry the gear to get unstuck too. If you do get stuck, don't dig yourself deep. The earlier you quit the smaller the vehicle/crew that can get you out. I still carry a short shovel, grippy 2x10, and chain. Back in the day I'd carry a floor mat or piece of carpet too, something that will grip the tire and ground if you stick it under a tire

I dont have many problems any more, and yes....your truck will rust faster than you will believe. 1 winter with salty roads is like 10 years anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Rear end locker?? Anyone have one??