Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
The skinny on EBPV pedestal gut and plug, already done it - take note

I did some probing today to check out the passages of the turbo pedestal so I could plug it off and leave the solenoid plugged in.

What I found leads me to believe everyone that has been unplugging their solenoid so it "doesn't flood the actuator chamber" is wrong.

Using an led probe going into the oil feed passage from the engine I found that there is a jetted passage to the ebpv cavity right off the bat! The other passage in the chamber goes to the front of the pedestal to the solenoid. From the solenoid the oil gets dumped into the oil return passage. So what happens is the oil is continually flowing threw the ebpv actuator camber via the oil feed passage jet. The oil flows continually threw the solenoid and into the dump passage. When the solenoid is triggered the oil passage to the dump is cut off so oil cannot flow out of the actuator chamber. The oil still feeds in threw the jetted passage building pressure pushing the plunger and closing the ebpv. When the solenoid is opened back up the oil flows out of the chamber and dumped into the return oil passage to the motor.

Pics: In the oil feed passage from the motor
Click the image to open in full size.

The jetted passage to the ebpv actuator

And to the turbo

Oil passage leaving the actuator chamber

here you can see the tooling (drill) passage from the actuator chamber and the passage up to the solenoid

Oil leaves the turbo

Collects/junctions with the oil leaving the ebpv actuator chamber via solenoid

The oil return also passages with the low pressure side of the ebpv actuator chamber. This also brings up another point about the gut and plug most have been doing. With the plunger gone the oil is still flowing in the jetted passage, across the chamber and dumping into the oil return passage. So just plugging the hole for the actuator arm and leaving the solenoid plugged in will not flood the chamber any more then it already is when activated.

So what I simply did was plug the actuator arm hole like documented before but I also welded up the jetted port to the actuator chamber. If needed it can be drilled out and used again. No need to dump the oil in there any more. With the solenoid still plugged in all it will be doing now is just opening closing or opening up a second oil return passage for the turbo. No need for resistors or codes.

Pic of jetted oil feed passage to the actuator chamber

Welded up, this port could also be drilled, tapped, and plugged, or the right size ball bearing could be pressed in, etc.

And the plug, yes I wiped after the pic, wanted to show I used a sealer because you can't see it after wiping.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Oh, also wanted to note that it is possible that if there is some oil at your actuator rod it could be blowby from the engine and not a plunger leak.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior User

69Cobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dumb question here but can you explain to me the advantage of doing this mod?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Post Fiend

In my case a cheap fix to a leaking EBPV actuator, along with this if you gut the exhaust housing I hear you can expect lower egt's.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Postmaster

ToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud of
ToMang07
My only comment is, is there a chance the weld could come loose? That would be bad. I found a CHEAP non-EBV pedestal, so I used that. Plus, depending on how this winter goes with no EBV, I still have my stock EBV Pedestal that I can rebuild if need be.

Great write-up!
~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203* TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Post Fiend

Worst case scenario is the weld breaks out, washes down the the return port to the bottom of the oil pan and gets stuck in the pickup screen or makes its way threw the pump and gets stuck in the filter.

I don't think my weld will fall out, I've been doing stuff like this for awhile. I can't vouch for others aluminum welds though. :P

The easiest without a welder would be the right size ball bearing and press it in or push it in and punch the rim to keep it in. Other option would be to drill the hole out a bit bigger and all the way threw then tap it and plug it.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Posting Guru

hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
Great idea! I like the thought of not having a 5oz dead chamber of oil! That's the only reason I used the van ped! I never thought of doing the mod like this, Reps your way! Rep Police won't let me someone please hit Snowseaker for me!
Jim & fat Monty
"I'm Jim and I'm a modaholic"PAA#111 '02 CC lariat, 4x4 6" 37x12.5 70R17 BAJA TA's, JW trans, 7.3, AFE intake, blade runner, AFE 5" exh., GTP38R non-wastegated, Beans stage II, Mahle ceramics, crower rods, 6.0 spearco CAC, Adrenaline HPOP, ceramic manifolds, TS Performance by BDP and yes, it's FAST!;'07 4x4 DRW CC Lariat moonroof & leather, 6", 6.0L PSD, 4" AFE, CAC & high ram, tuning by spartan, '07 Warrior 39 CR. '98 &'99 Expey's, custom rack by Dr. Fam

Last edited by hotroddsl; 10-06-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Rep cops!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Senior User

Krazymaan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I use the Van pedestal too, mainly because I have a van.
But anyway I did the EBPV elimination too. Pulled the plunger, tapped and screwed in a plug and I also keep my sending unit plugged in, always have always will. I never had a problem or a light come on.
4" exhaust, fuel mod, wicked wheel, Boost Annihilator, 32psi's of boost, 97 engine, Stage 1 injectors, PHP tune, No converter, No muffler. Pyro, tranny, egt and fuel pressure gauges along with a high torque starter and two 1100 cca batteries. Just the way Ford should have done it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for the compliments and reps guys! I just wanted to fully understand the part before just plugging holes and unplugging wires.

Working on the dead head fuel system now. Our Earls fittings guy retired and no one took over the shop so it is harder for me to find good fittings for stuff like this. On the other hand it does save me money though. It was to easy before to just run down the street and spend $100+ at a time for AN fittings and braided line.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddsl View Post
Great idea! I like the thought of not having a 5oz dead chamber of oil! That's the only reason I used the van ped! I never thought of doing the mod like this, Reps your way! Rep Police won't let me someone please hit Snowseaker for me!
Jim & fat Monty
Reps sent! Got him for you (and me too)
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 10-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Post Fiend

Just wanted to pass the link here in case some are interested. The fuel side of this truck.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-update-2.html
Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anybody know the different heights between the early pedistal and the late one. I just got one from a freind and want to know if its right before I take mine apart. I am updating mine from early to late model. Thanks, Chet
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Thanks for posting this information.
I already have the van pedastal now, but it's always good to know a better (less expensive) way.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 PM
New User

SirVive is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the info :)

I think I understand your post correctly, please confirm (sooner the better - I hope to do this tomorrow if possible) . Plugging the little inlet hole like you did will eliminate the danger of robbing oil from the turbo like some have complained about, correct? Just want to make sure ... !! I am very handy in the shop and can do this in 5 min. but I don't want to take any risks either. BTW when this goes out like mine just did it really goes - lost a quart in a matter of min.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
This is one way of preventing the oil starvation, previous to this thread many(myself included) would gut the valve plug the hole where the rod comes out by tapping and adding a 1/4 plug, then to prevent starvation leave the solenoid unplugged. This only throws a soft code, but can be eliminated with a 1/2 Watt 470 Ohm resistor wired into the plug.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, 73l, actuator, cutting, ebpv, ebv, epbv, ford, gut, le, obs, pedestal, plug, size, skinny, snowseeker, turbo