Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projector headlight retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Projector headlight retrofit

Decided I needed to stop whoring all my pictures in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread and also told a few people I would do a "write up" So here we go.

Okay I had 8000k plug and play HIDs in my headlights and foglights for over 2 years and started looking more into projectors since the stock headlights are designed for halogen bulbs and HIDs cause glare in halogen housings.

So I started off with buying my headlights. Went to ebay and bought smoked "euro" style headlights. Paid $93 for the headlights and corners (already had bottom "bumper lights")

Here is what they looked like.

Then bought my Morimoto MH1 4.0 projector kit with the CCFL angel eyes
Here is a link to where you can buy the complete kit.
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

This is what they look like without the shrouds. The red and black wires plug into your relay harness and when you flip your high beams on it flips down the cutoff shield in the projectors which give you high beams.

Then the fun begins.. Opening up the headlights.. How you do this is get a heat gun, a few different sized flathead screw drivers, puddy knife, razor blade, butter knife, or whatever else you prefer to pry the lens open.

Then begin heating the headlights where the lens meets the housing. The glue will begin to soften up allowing you to pry open the lens. Takes quite a few tries, plenty of time and patience.. To much heat will melt the plastic housing so you have to be careful. But if it deforms a little you can just heat it up and form it back. You wont be able to see it at all once the headlights are in.

Then unscrew the phillips head screw holding on the stock bulb cover that is in the headlights. Where the screw was will need to be drilled out big enough to fit the wiring for the high beams and or the halos if you want them.

You can test fit your projectors and make sure everything works fine. The kit comes with 2 rubber washers. I used the thick washer.

As you can see the back of the headlight will need some work. It will have to be cut off so you can fit all the hardware for the projector(adapter ring, lock ring, and bulb holder assembly)

Here is with the back ground down and everything assembled including the bulbs.

Once the back is ground down you can assemble everything and tighten everything down.

Put the lens back on just to see what all your hard work looks like.

Then bring them into the garage to play with them... ( not exactly necessary) lol

Check out your nice cutoff. Do the "washer mod" if you want some more blue in the cutoff.

You can seal them back up if your happy with them. You can use silicon($6 walmart) or butyl tape( window weld) is even better ($20 at napa) Make sure the lens are clean and no finger prints in the housings or insides of the lenses before you reseal them!

But I recommend installing the headlights without the lenses. That way if you need to rotate the projectors any you wont have to open them up again. Once everything is perfect then reseal the lenses.

Removing the headlights is a big PITA also. There is a video on youtube that will help you with removing them. I didn't take any pics of the process.

Installing the headlights is pretty simple. Push the adjusters into the holes and push the headlight clips in place.

Make sure everything is working before putting everything back together. Then adjust the headlight adjusters so they are sitting flush and aimed correctly

Put everything back together and check them out!

Daytime pics

I wired my Angel eyes to my parking lights. Just soldering the negative and positive wires into the negative and positive of the corner light. If you want angel eyes you can do the same or wire them to a switch in the truck if you like.

Some more adjusting to the headlights to get them aimed correctly and your done! Go enjoy your new projector headlights. My driveway is slanted and my headlights needed a few more adjustments but you get the idea.

Pretty colors!

Low beams

High beams. Kinda foggy out.

Picture showing some of the blue in the cutoff. Again really uneven ground.

Video playing with them in the garage.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mALf_F3qizU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Quick video I took right when I got them in.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z3tCefLKa68" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

My over all opinion is that they are well worth the money! Nothing better than being able to see so great at night and the high beams are amazing!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
nice job man! The smoked lights look better then I thought.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This I like
Very nice looking ride

Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Originally Posted by StealthWyvern
nice job man! The smoked lights look better then I thought.
Thanks. I like to be a little different. Most run the crystal clears but im going for a red/black look.

Originally Posted by Slowroll90
This I like
Very nice looking ride
Thank you

Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
nice job brother

are they worth to do it or not , because i was planing to do FX-R retrofit to my 01 f250 , but they need a lot of work and i don't have time or skills to do it
my work route is like off roading every day in dark muddy horrible road full with big bumps and obstacles it is just to dark
so i need an advice .

Thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mr.noodi
nice job brother

are they worth to do it or not , because i was planing to do FX-R retrofit to my 01 f250 , but they need a lot of work and i don't have time or skills to do it
my work route is like off roading every day in dark muddy horrible road full with big bumps and obstacles it is just to dark
so i need an advice .

Thanks
The morimotos are much simpler to install than the FX-R projectors as there is less cutting involved
There are some people who do this sort of thing very professionally for a fee
Customlightz is one. I think he is somewhere around north Carolina
I got a quote for $300 labor plus parts and he backs his work
I choose to do my own because that was steep for me. But it's something you may consider

Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
nice job brother

so i need an advice .

Thanks
Thank you

Absolutely worth it. Like Slowroll said the Morimotos are much easier than the FXRs. Again like he said there are people that can do it for you. But the most time consuming part to me was just getting the lenses open. After that there isnt much to it at all.

TRS has a big sale going on right now. MH1s for $70! and FXRs for $50! Was thinking about picking up a pair of FXRs just because of the price.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Originally Posted by 86F150302
Thank you

Absolutely worth it. Like Slowroll said the Morimotos are much easier than the FXRs. Again like he said there are people that can do it for you. But the most time consuming part to me was just getting the lenses open. After that there isnt much to it at all.

TRS has a big sale going on right now. MH1s for $70! and FXRs for $50! Was thinking about picking up a pair of FXRs just because of the price.
brother i can't find the sale mh1 is $120 and fx-r is $135

Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
That is a great write up and nice looking truck Slowroll!

Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
brother i can't find the sale mh1 is $120 and fx-r is $135

TRS Garage Sale! Morimoto Mini H1, Morimoto Mini D2S, and FX-R Bi-xenon closeout deals!!

Originally Posted by Edgethis
That is a great write up and nice looking truck Slowroll!
I dont think he posted any pictures in here.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 PM
traxx808
Senior User
hey 86f150......that was a great write up. i like the way it looks on your ride. makes me want to do it too. i got the same headlight as you, only its clear. i was thinking that after i get the lens off, it would be me to get that glue on my finger and touch the inside of the lens. lol. i went to the web site via the link and saw the options for adapter plate and wire harness. whats up with that plate and harness........

Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Originally Posted by traxx808
hey 86f150......that was a great write up. i like the way it looks on your ride. makes me want to do it too. i got the same headlight as you, only its clear. i was thinking that after i get the lens off, it would be me to get that glue on my finger and touch the inside of the lens. lol. i went to the web site via the link and saw the options for adapter plate and wire harness. whats up with that plate and harness........
Thank you

Lol if you got the glue on the lens you should be able to heat it up some and wipe it off.

The adapter plates help you align the projectors in the headlights (honestly not really needed)

The wiring harness is a relay harness. It draws power directly from the battery instead of from the headlight switch(loses voltage going from battery to headlight switch then to headlights). The headlight switches in these trucks are already known for catching fire.

Even if you didnt run projectors or HIDs I would still recommend getting a relay harness. LMC sells them for the halogen headlights.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Slowroll90
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 86F150302
I didn't. Lol

Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Slowroll90
I didn't. Lol
Lol rep points for making me laugh!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
kyflaresideon20s
Junior User
greap post whith pics and info. though maybe this was something you could buy and plug and play but i realy do like those halo lights. something i need to add to my list lol it seemed in one of your pics your turn signal lighs seemed pretty bright as well or could have been a flash just wondering i have clears now as well but always like brighter i just hate spending 20 for a bulb that isnt much of a differance

Quick Reply: Projector headlight retrofit