Sponsored by:

dyingtolive's '84 F-150 Build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 AM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dyingtolive's '84 F-150 Build.

Alright, so the build hasn't officially started yet, as I don't have anything on my list yet, as I'm somewhat strapped for cash. It'll be kind of a slow process, as the income of a waiter at a Mexican joint isn't all that great. But, I figured I'd go ahead and get the thread going, and get some input/flaming/ribbing/whatever.

1984 F-150, Short Bed, Reg. Cab, 300 c.i. Inline Six, T-18 4 speed, 3.25 9" rear, 3.07 D44TTB (Yes, front and rear gears are different, my 8.8 rear bit the big one, and I needed a rear end fast. The 9" was cheap and readily available.), 31x10.50x15 A/T's.

The plan:

1. Find a 460
2. Do a mild to somewhat moderate build. Weiand Stealth intake, Edelbrock 750 carb, P&P heads, valve job, high volume oil pump, roller rockers, headers, cam (not sure which one yet, I'd love to have one with a nice lope, but I'm not too sure if 108 degrees of LSA would be too practical.), MSD Ignition. Not sure that I want to bump the compression any, though, as this will be a DD, and my funds are always limited. And considering it's 3:30 AM, I'm sure I'm leaving something out.
3. If I can find one on the cheap, I'll go ahead and mate the 460 to a ZF-5 speed. If not, I'll just suck it up and get a bellhousing to fit my T-18.
4. Swap in some F-250 coil springs. (For now.)
5. Get matching gears in the front and rear (3.55's), and upgrade to 33x12.50x15 M/T's (this way, I can get 4 wheel drive back before winter hits, just in case we get hit with another ice storm like last year).
6. Swap in the 460 and save the I6 for some unknown project on down the line.
7. Wheel as much as I can during the winter, while saving up for a D60 front. (Assuming I don't go to basic training before I can do so.)
8. Acquire a High-Pinion, Kingpin Dana 60 front. Rebuild it. Set it up for coil springs.
9. Acquire a Sterling 10.25 rear. Get matching gears for the front and rear.
10. Acquire 38-40" tires, 16-17" wheels (I need at least 16" to clear the brakes on the D60/10.25, right?), and necessary parts for a 10" lift.
11. Acquire an NP205 (which will be twin-sticked at some point.)
12. Swap in the D60/10.25 combo, install lift, set up hydraulic ram-assist steering, install NP205, fabricate radius arm brackets and install extended radius arms with bling heims, set up brakes, check flex and clearances, align it, etc, etc, etc.
13. Strengthen anything that needs it.
14. Wheel like there's no tomorrow.

The budget for this build is non-existant. Given my income, I'll have to save up and buy parts one at a time. Currently, I've got about $350 in my wallet and a $300 credit limit on my card. Right now, I'm tracking down some leads on a 460. Found one at a Pull-A-Part in Norcross, GA. Got it pulled out of the truck, only to realize that it was blown to bits. I was pissed. However, I should be coming home with a 460 by the end of this week, if not next week. I'm also waiting to hear back about a job at Summit Racing. If I can get on over there, that'll make this build go much quicker. Feel free to add any suggestions, as I'm open to as much input/flaming/ribbing as I can get. Every little bit helps.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
1. 460 needs to be pre FI if your goin with a Stealth (well any carbed intake as it wont fit FI heads)

2. forget the Edle junk carb youll be better off

4. WHY??

5. aslong as your not running your 4x4 on asphalt or rocks that small gear difference inst gonna hurt you aslong as your in mud or ice, that being said if your dead set on gear swap and 33's go 4.11's atleast

10. yes you need 16" BUT WHY DO YOU WANT 10" lift for 38's talk bout big freaking GHEY florDUH truck....

anyways good luck on your Job at scummit if you get on there hook me up with some good prices bish!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just gonna throw this out there; don't worry about what ain't broke right now. forget about a 460 at this time unless the I6 is shot. and to be honest if you are heading off to basic i'd say screw it and wait to do anything to the truck. i was never in the .mil, but you can stash away all your money and live 100% free if you are ok with chitty food and living on base once you are done with basic, and that's what i would do. money is always a limiting factor, and a build that starts out with some green will get done quicker and you won't have to compromise and cut corners as much. plus you might have enough cash laying around after basic that you decide to buy a newer truck altogether.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Dan has a very Valid point there aswell!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
Privates always get stupid right out of basic. They get a "big" paycheck and it gets blown quickly. I saw many soldiers that made decent money but got in debt so quick it wasn't funny.

My advice for you, don't be a stupid private.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77mud
1. 460 needs to be pre FI if your goin with a Stealth (well any carbed intake as it wont fit FI heads)

2. forget the Edle junk carb youll be better off

4. WHY??

5. aslong as your not running your 4x4 on asphalt or rocks that small gear difference inst gonna hurt you aslong as your in mud or ice, that being said if your dead set on gear swap and 33's go 4.11's atleast

10. yes you need 16" BUT WHY DO YOU WANT 10" lift for 38's talk bout big freaking GHEY florDUH truck....

anyways good luck on your Job at scummit if you get on there hook me up with some good prices bish!

5. That's fine for running around town, but I drive an hour on the highway up to Douglasville every chance that I get. With 33's and 4.11's, I'll be at like 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH. That's wound up a little higher than I'd like. Maybe 3.73's?

10. I want 10" lift so that the truck is proportionate, and so that I don't have to trim the fenders or cut out the fenderwells. I've been leaning more towards 40's than 38's though, lately.

And, Summit called today, asked me all kinds of questions. I've got an interview over there tomorrow morning at 11. So hopefully this pans out.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatdan460
just gonna throw this out there; don't worry about what ain't broke right now. forget about a 460 at this time unless the I6 is shot. and to be honest if you are heading off to basic i'd say screw it and wait to do anything to the truck. i was never in the .mil, but you can stash away all your money and live 100% free if you are ok with chitty food and living on base once you are done with basic, and that's what i would do. money is always a limiting factor, and a build that starts out with some green will get done quicker and you won't have to compromise and cut corners as much. plus you might have enough cash laying around after basic that you decide to buy a newer truck altogether.
I understand what you're saying. The I6 has its little problems, nothing that I can't fix given a couple days or so. But since I got the truck, I've wanted to put a 460 in it, and it's almost driving me crazy. Also, I've been waiting to go to MEPS and actually swear in for almost 6 months now, and still don't have a definite date. The Recruiting Battalion moves so slow it's not even funny. And then, my ship date may be 3-6 months after I swear in. Hell, it could be almost a year before I actually report to Ft. Benning. Needing a waiver brings the suck. If nothing else, I at least want to get started on this build, and swap in the 460, gears and tires before I ship out, so that I can finish it up when I get out of basic/Airborne/possibly RIP. And yes, I plan to live on post for as long as I can, so that frees up a majority of my paycheck every month.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just throwing this out there....

Why dont you buy a 85.5 up 350 with a 460/zf and go from there? Or better yet, a 99-04 250/350 and have a nicer truck as an end product with less money tied up in upgrading parts you already have to build what you want. Its just not feasible to anymore to piece together trucks when so many are available for much less money, not to mention the headache.

You do realize your proposed build is probably in the in the 10-12k range.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Ya what Kris said....

Plus a 460+ big tires and axles make little half ton frame

Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 AM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
Just throwing this out there....

Why dont you buy a 85.5 up 350 with a 460/zf and go from there? Or better yet, a 99-04 250/350 and have a nicer truck as an end product with less money tied up in upgrading parts you already have to build what you want. Its just not feasible to anymore to piece together trucks when so many are available for much less money, not to mention the headache.

You do realize your proposed build is probably in the in the 10-12k range.
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Ya what Kris said....

Plus a 460+ big tires and axles make little half ton frame
I realize exactly what stands before me, and how much it'll cost. I've accepted it, and I'm ready to move forward.

And the frame can always be re-inforced. The biggest reason that I want to build this particular truck is that the truck was given to me by my dad. When I was younger, he and I went everywhere in this truck. Took me to school every morning, took me to work, all over the place. When I became old enough to drive, he helped me get it running again, and he had always wanted to build and restore it with me, but shizz went down with my crazy/sorry excuse for a mother, and it never happened. So I want to build this truck, not just for me, but for the both of us..

Anyway, enough sentimental shizz. My interview at Summit went pretty well today. I gave an elaborate answer to a question about the most important lesson I've learned at work, and the customer service manager said that in all his years of doing what he does, that my answer was the best one that he had ever heard. So that's good, I suppose. Unfortunately, they said it'll be a couple of weeks before I hear anything about a third and/or fourth interview. But, on the bright side, I think I made the second cut..

Still looking for a reasonably priced 460...

Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
I can appreciate that but in my experience you are more likely to finish the project and are usually more happy with it when youre done when you start with a truck closer to the end goal.

I realize absolutely nothing we say will change your mind but if nothing I am a realist when it comes to projects and toys. Time and money are ALWAYS the limiting factor on them ever being completed and you can quickly lose interest if visible progress isnt made pretty often - trust me. At the end of the day do you really want your dads truck torn apart on jack stands for years with half enough parts to finish it and not much money to spend?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
Time and money are ALWAYS the limiting factor on them ever being completed and you can quickly lose interest if visible progress isnt made pretty often - trust me. At the end of the day do you really want your dads truck torn apart on jack stands for years with half enough parts to finish it and not much money to spend?
exactly why mines still not running

and mines not on jackstands but it still kills me

Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Don't listen to these a holes, I started with a half ton and now look at it....

Sitting in the yard not running. Actually, listen to them. Give it a mild restore/refresh and drive it with stockish reliability. Throw a small lift on and some bigger tires. Go get a beater to do the one ton/460 stuff to so when you finish it you don't have to worry about smashing it off of trees and breaking sheot.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
For once, listen to Paul...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Well. The general plan for this build is, don't pull the truck offline until/unless I have everything prepped and ready to go into it, and then bring it back online ASAP. The most down-time for the truck that I'm anticipating is about a day or so at a time. Two days, max. The whole reason for putting one-tons under it is so that I can do some moderate wheeling with it, without having to worry so much about breaking something so that I can continue to drive it daily. If I get into a situation that I'd be worried about smashing it up, I'd rather it live to fight another day. As far as the 460 goes, that's just because I can, not necessarily because I need it.

Then, at some point after this build is finished, I'll begin work on a beater/hardcore wheeler. Either an F-350 or a one-ton Ranger build. Who knows. We'll see.

Quick Reply: dyingtolive's '84 F-150 Build.