Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add-On Tach install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:12 PM
luke_trash
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add-On Tach install

I don't have a service manual yet, and it's so cold here, that I don't want to go poking around for hours...

What wire do I hook the pickup (green wire) on my aftermarket tachometer to the ignition coil?

Also, where can I find a wire that controls dashboard illumination?

thanks for any info, or tips on an easy install (places to tap in to power it)

I read that some of you have swapped in the guage cluster with the tach and it just 'works'

SO, this leads me to believe one of the wires hooked to the guage cluster is directly hooked to the ignition coil.

So which one is it?

(what color is it)

Luke

Last edited by luke_trash; 04-07-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:51 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Add-On Tach install

All you have to do is hook the tach up to the coil. I hooked mine up to the yellow wire on top side the TFI ignition module that goes to the coil. This is located on the driver side inner fender behind the air box close to the brake master cylinder and has a heat sink on it. Yours may be on the distributor. For illumination just hook into one of the wires on the back of you fuse box on the fuse that is labeled for illumination. Then all you have to do is hook up the ground wire. That can go almost anywhere. The easiest way to splice into the wires is to use the blue or red trailer connectors that slide over the wire and have a place for the new wire. I used the red ones. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 AM
luke_trash
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add-On Tach install

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, my kit came with the red clip ons that draw power from existing wires, without doing too much damage.

This tach has onboard illumination, so it has 4 seperate wires.

(what the 2nd switched 12v one does, is beyond me)

Every tach I've ever installed was one wire that hooked to the coil...

But then again, I usually stay away from fancy items like this

Thanks for the heads up though.