Sponsored by: DP Tuner

F350 Cam Sensor bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F350 Cam Sensor bad

Posted a problem last week about my 2000 F350 4 x 4 dually. Cam sensor went bad and the engine just died while cruising. Ford changed out under warranty. What scares me is that in talking to a guy while waiting in the service dept., he tells me that last year, same thing happened to him. His engine just died, without warning. He happened to be travelling down I-10 about 75 mph when it happened, put the truck in neutral trying to start it again. Said he'd slowed to about 40 mph, when a BUS slammed into him!!! From your posts, I gather that the cam sensor is a problem. For me, I was alone, on a straight road, going about 45 mph when mine died. Some of you told me you carry extra sensors!

Seems this is a potentially dangerous problem. Anyone familiar with any Ford bulletins on the problem? Anything one can do to prevent it from happening? Is there ever any warning that the cam sensor is bad??

Old 04-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Cam Sensor bad

The way yours went out, and the other guy's too, are kinda rare, from what I've heard and experienced. Mine followed the "classic" style of failure. It started by the truck dying a few times at idle. It would start back up without a problem. Not knowing what was causing it at the time, I kept driving it. After a few days of doing this, it started dying at slightly higher speeds, like coasting up to a red light. After a few more days, it started dying while slowing down to make a turn in a residential area. At that point I discovered what was causing it, and replaced the CPS. I haven't had a problem with it since. Did yours ever die for no apparent reason?

Old 04-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

No. In 58,000 miles, I've thought this was the most dependable truck I've ever owned. Never died under any circumstance before. I have the oil changed regularly. Already had the tranny fluid changed, fuel filter at 55,000 miles. I keep the K&N clean. Everything I can to make sure it is dependable. Now I'm worried that this cam sensor will go out, lets say, next spring break, pulling an 8000 travel trailer down a 10% grade on a 2-lane mountain road in NM......

Old 04-09-2003, 09:42 PM
futureserv
New User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

I am having my cam sensor changes at the ford dealership right now. It kept stalling all the time. The first was while driving on the highway also. I thought it was a fuel problem. Worst thing is that the ford service advisor made it sound like it was new to him. After hearing tht it is a recurring problem I am about to give him some **** when i pick it up.

//Chris

Old 04-11-2003, 04:18 AM
tobetaxfree
Junior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

I have been experiencing some "stalling". The engine seems like it misses, and doesn't fire, but it doesn't completely stall out. It has done this at idle,low speeds and at high speeds. I was wondering if it could be the CPS or if it would be an injector. I changed the fuel filter 3000 miles ago and filled the bowl with stanadyne thinking an injector might be dirty. If it is the CPS, can you fix it yourself, or is it a big job. Also, I thought I saw someone post that you can clean them and it fixes it most of the time.

Old 04-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
F350 Cam Sensor bad

I've never heard of anyone cleaning their CPS, but changing one is an easy do-it-yourself project. The cost of a CPS through International is $86, and about twice that at Ford.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:30 AM
DL
Senior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

can someone tell us exactly where the cam sensor is located and how to replace one? Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 PM
1997 crewcab
New User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

its the black plug thingy

Old 04-23-2003, 12:51 PM
DL
Senior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

THANKS 1997 crewcab. Do you just unbolt the old and stick in a new one? Or is there somemore to it than that (ie, resetting computer, etc.)? I take it that there is a wire harness plugged into it. I'll take a look at my 2001 tonight and see if I can find it.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:10 PM
1997 crewcab
New User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

Its my understanding that it is a direct swap, nothing else to do. I have heard of a couple people having to shim the sensor out by .005 to .010 because the sensor was just a little too long. But that is all I have heard of.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
DL
Senior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

Thanks for the reply. Man I love this forum, theres alot of people that really know their stuff!

Old 04-25-2003, 09:56 AM
lostbuckaroo
Senior User
F350 Cam Sensor bad

1997 Crew Cab, Thanks!

I've been experiencing some stall out for the year or so. I would run fine for a month and all of a sudden start stalling out at any speed even sometimes on the freeway and jerk the crap out of me. Then go away for another month. More recently I have been pulling a trailer and it would stall out when slowing to a stop. My truck just turned over 100 Thousand Miles and I figured the CPS should be justifiably replaced. Since I needed it right now I bought it at Ford ($160+) but it could not be eaiser to swap out. Unplug the wire harness, back out one bolt, twist and pull it out the sensor. Put the new one in and the truck runs as good as new. I considering buying a CPS just to put in the glove box for a spare. What do you guys think?

Anyway this forum has been very helpful. I really appreciate everyone who participates. There's lots of very useful info here.

Thank you,

LostBuckaroo

Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM
6mmbr
New User
2000 F350 diesel crew cab srw

I have been having repeated episodes of the engine suddenly stopping, usually within the first 10 minutes of driving. Can be quite unnerving because the power steering dies too - usually put in neutral and can get started while coasting, but occassionally had to pull to side before would restart. "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, but of course doesn't come on again after have stopped engine (intentionally) for the day. I spent a lot of time at the side of the road draining the fuel from the fuel filter thinking I had water contamination until finally got into the shop.

Its in the shop now and just got a call that the cam sensor is bad and needs replaced at >$300.

Wish I'd checked with this forum sooner! Really p*sses me off when I have to pay for any "plug 'n play" repair jobs.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
I want to know where in New Mexico that there is a 10% grade? Ive been to alot of places including the grapevine(boring) and the cabbage (one heck of a ride) to the east coast hole in the wall and virginia appalachians.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
6mmbr, I would defenitly recomend keeping one as a spare. But get it at an International dealer or ebay. International is around $90 I picked one up on ebay for $55 with shipping. Put it in to make sure it was good and then changed back to old one all in les then 15 minutes. Just remember to pull the #7 fuse under the hood before you do this. Hope this helps. LPR

Quick Reply: F350 Cam Sensor bad