EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EcoBoost Ticking at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost Ticking at Idle

Hey everyone...here's my first post...just joined the site!

I did a little searching through the forums but was not able to find anything on this issue. Hopefully I am not duplicating a prior post somewhere. Anyhow...I test drove an EcoBoost 150 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that at idle, I can hear a ticking sound from the engine about every second or so. I only hear it when I was outside the cab. It's pretty pronounced but not necessarilly like a "bad" sound. My dealer said it is the high pressure fuel pump. This makes sense in some respects but I wanted to see if this is normal with the new EBoost engine?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

(My new F150 SCrew with EBoost will be in hopefully next week...I can't wait!)

Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Welcome to FTE! The Ford rep said that it's the injectors. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and it will make a whining or humming sound if any at all.

Anyway, this ticking is perfectly normal for the ecoboost engine.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question for you 2011+ owners:
I've always associated the injector "ticking" as more of a clicking (plastic sound) than a ticking (metallic sound). To me the injectors sound more like a relay click (like the click of a ball point pen) than a metal on metal tick, like say a predetonation "ping".
Are the injectors on the new engines making the same sound as the 04-08s did?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
gixer311
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed this when I first bought mine. 5K later, it seems a little more pronounced...along with the erratic idle(even when warmed up). Its starting to get to me, especially when going through the drive through at Dunkin donuts...which I do alot.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
todd230
Senior User
The ticking described sounds like the fuel injectors which on these truck is VERY high pressure similar to that of a diesel. On my 99 PSD I had a programmer which switched up the tune on the fly. You could really hear the difference when switching. Also Fords have a test program with the motor off - you should hear how loud an injector is at 2500psi without the motor running.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
Thanks for the replies thus far...definately helpful. I've heard injector clicking before, this just seemed a little bit more pronounced...sounds like it's from the higher fuel pressure. Anyway...I can't wait...I mean..I CAN'T WAIT! to get my new truck soon!!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The fuel pressure in an Ecoboost engine is over 2000 lbs/square inch compared to maybe 60-80 for a conventional port injected engine. It makes sense that the injectors would have to "clamp" closed very hard because they are right in the combustion chamber and would have to close tightly enough to keep the explosion pressure in the cylinder from kicking back into the injector after they squirt the fuel into the cylinder. Regular port injectors are on the intake side of the intake valve and would have very little pressure to hold back.

Just envisioning the physics here, it seems completely logical that the injectors in a direct injected engine would have to be pretty darn loud to clamp shut during the fuel/air explosions!

And welcome to the site, MKEBoost. Lots of accumulated knowledge here.

George

Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Originally Posted by gixer311
I noticed this when I first bought mine. 5K later, it seems a little more pronounced...along with the erratic idle(even when warmed up). Its starting to get to me, especially when going through the drive through at Dunkin donuts...which I do alot.
You running your a/c or defroster?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's the high pressure fuel pump you are hearing.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
gixer311
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast
You running your a/c or defroster?
No sir...it was 48 degrees this morning and I let it warm up for about 2 minutes than headed to DD. First red light about a mile down the road, the truck, actually jumped forward with my foot on the brake(as I was stopped at the light). Idle was about 1000 rpm, after a little more warming up, the rpm's hovered from 500 to 700...and no jumping ahead. I didn't have a lot of pressure on the brake, which is probably why it was able to jump forward...but, it was strange to say the least. I definitely will be applying more force in the future.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
012 FX4
New User
Been having the same problem as Gixer311 although mine goes a little bit further. I will occasionally have rough idle, somethimes on cold engine sometimes on warm. But have also noticed this roughness at highway speed. I really have to be paying attention to feel it, it is slight, but it is definitely there SOMETIMES!! Also when I am experiencing the rought idle the ticking sound is certainly louder. Have taken the truck to the dealer twice, they could reproduce the issue, they did change the converter but did not correct this issue. Going to leave the truck with the dealer for several days while I am on vacation and told them to let one of their two most experienced techs drive it as a personal vehicle during that time. Hope they can find something. Right now I have 10k on it but its been doing this since around 5k. Considering purchasing extended warranty on this truck just in case. Sure would appreciate any information that anyone may have on this!! Thanks

Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Sugars Pop
New User
Ticking is normal according to Ford and is related to the high pressure fuel pump noted a couple times in this tread.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
012 FX4
New User
Thanks for the follow up Sugar Pops! I believe that I know the ticking that you are referring to and mine certainly has that tick of the high pressure fuel system but occassionally mine gets noticeably louder and as I said the engine roughness accompanies the noise.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
JeffHerd
New User
Just joined the site, and I to have noticed my 2013 F150 Ecoboost ticks at idle. Glad I found this post. Thanks all for the info!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 PM
2013 Ecoboost 2.0
New User
Originally Posted by 012 FX4
Been having the same problem as Gixer311 although mine goes a little bit further. I will occasionally have rough idle, somethimes on cold engine sometimes on warm. But have also noticed this roughness at highway speed. I really have to be paying attention to feel it, it is slight, but it is definitely there SOMETIMES!! Also when I am experiencing the rought idle the ticking sound is certainly louder. Have taken the truck to the dealer twice, they could reproduce the issue, they did change the converter but did not correct this issue. Going to leave the truck with the dealer for several days while I am on vacation and told them to let one of their two most experienced techs drive it as a personal vehicle during that time. Hope they can find something. Right now I have 10k on it but its been doing this since around 5k. Considering purchasing extended warranty on this truck just in case. Sure would appreciate any information that anyone may have on this!! Thanks
My 2012 Edge Ecoboost 2.0 seems to be doing some of the same things you described in this post. What was the final outcome? My powertrain warranty is almost over and the dealer claims they can' reproduce problem Thanks!!

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Ticking at Idle