1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential problem 05 F-350 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing the rear diff cover IS simple....and not a bad idea anyway to change the fluid. tube of silicone, and if your cheap you can reuse the diff fluid. the advice i gave the OP was simple and cheap. thats how i start when trying to diagnose a problem. i also hav'nt come across a bad rear wheel bearing let alone two at the same time. OP says both sides feel the same way.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinella
removing the rear diff cover IS simple....and not a bad idea anyway to change the fluid. tube of silicone, and if your cheap you can reuse the diff fluid. the advice i gave the OP was simple and cheap. thats how i start when trying to diagnose a problem. i also hav'nt come across a bad rear wheel bearing let alone two at the same time. OP says both sides feel the same way.

Ok, ok. I see you're not going to take it so well but I'd still like to know, just how exactly is the DIFFERENTIAL going to affect wheel wobble? ??

You know what, forget it. It will just devolve into some kind of pissin contest anyway and clutter up the guys thread. You're right. I'm wrong. On with my day...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, the differential will not cause wheel wobble since (as I already posted) the wheel is located by the hub bearing. If the rear axle is the cause of the wandering, it is most likely caused by really bad wheel hub bearings or sticky brake calipers.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM
spinella
Postmaster
he would be able to see if there is exessive play in the axles. does everything have to be a pissing match?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
.......does everything have to be a pissing match?
In short, no it doesn't.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
spinella
Postmaster
seems to be where ever he post it is....just do a search.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wandering issues with these trucks has usually been attributed to other issues...i.e...ball joints, front axle u-joint's, steering gear play, tires, alignment spec's, and some others. I would suspect that if you had bad hub bearings in the rear axle (Sterling 10.5 with single rear wheel) that you might see a grease seal leak also...but maybe not. What has changed since you noticed the wandering issue? Check tire pressures lately? If you are talking about the slop in the rear axle while "rotating" the rear tires you are probably experiencing "gear lash" and some is normal. Just the right amount of lash is magnified at the tires, so it may feel like a lot. If you can place your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock ( or 3 and 9 o'clock) position on the tire and pull the wheel in and out (or otherwise move it) you might have a bearing/hub problem...possibly the hub bearing locknut is not tensioned properly...so the bearing preload is off. Hope this helps...let us know what you find out.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:14 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jakebrake
Wandering issues with these trucks has usually been attributed to other issues...i.e...ball joints, front axle u-joint's, steering gear play, tires, alignment spec's, and some others. I would suspect that if you had bad hub bearings in the rear axle (Sterling 10.5 with single rear wheel) that you might see a grease seal leak also...but maybe not. What has changed since you noticed the wandering issue? Check tire pressures lately? If you are talkng about the slop in the rear axle while "rotating" the rear tires you are probably experiencing "gear lash" and some is normal. Just the right amount of lash is magnified at the tires, so it may feel like a lot. If you can place your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock ( or 3 and 9 o'clock) position on the tire and pull the wheel in and out (or otherwise move it) you might have a bearing/hub problem...possibly the hub bearing locknut is not tensioned properly...so the bearing preload is off. Hope this helps...let us know what you find out.

Thank you! Hay-soos, it's a relatively common issue with rear ends, and relatively easy to diagnose. Pretty much exactly as you, and I a few posts back, described. No need, at this point, to turn it into anything more complex.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
tgreening
Elder User
he would be able to see if there is exessive play in the axles. does everything have to be a pissing match?

Excessive play in the diff, which at this point has not been determined. At. All. But it will tell him nothing about the wobbley wheel issue he posted about which is NOT normal. At. All. Some play in the diff IS normal on the other hand and without a bit more precise info from the OP, or more likely a mechanic he would have to hire, not really able to be definitively diagnosed on line by you, or me.

With some people, yes,yes it does. How about we agree to disagree on how to proceed with an initial troubleshoot procedure of his axle and leave it at that?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
tgreening
Elder User
seems to be where ever he post it is....just do a search.

You've got to be kidding......

Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
spinella
Postmaster
whatever...not looking to argue, you just come across abrasive for no reason. no prob here.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whatever...not looking to argue, you just come across abrasive for no reason. no prob here.
Mildly abrasive, but also correct. There is absolutely no reason to pull the diff cover since there would have to be side play of the axle shaft at the differential to produce the wheel movements the OP described. That would indicate either a severely damaged carrier or worn out carrier bearings. With the weight of the axle and carrier though, you would never feel carrier bearing slop at the wheel when moving it by hand.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
spinella
Postmaster
OP said he pulled on the top of the tire and felt movement in and out....just seemed real easy to remove the cover and check inside the diff. his description of what was going on was vauge to say the least. so i just recommended he do a visual check. heck he thought it was a dana 80, so i figured start off basic. in all honesty the truck wandering could be low tire pressure....who knows. we are all kinda guessing with limited info. no harm no foul,right. point taken. thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Mildly abrasive, but also correct.

Abrasive? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Hehe, just kidding. You know I'm not surprised to hear you say that, although I usually am surprised that I sometimes come across that way. It's probably worse in person, and if I know you. I know sometimes I shut up about one sentence juuust too late and over step my bounds, especially with my friends/family.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by tgreening
Thank you! Hay-soos, it's a relatively common issue with rear ends, and relatively easy to diagnose. Pretty much exactly as you, and I a few posts back, described. No need, at this point, to turn it into anything more complex.
Well no, is isn't a common problem at all. That may be the point of contention, the 10.5 Sterling is a pretty stout and trouble free differential (with the exception of the fairly weak factory limited slip).

Also, to add fuel to the fire , I have seen a differential cause wandering and handling issues, BUT it was due to a bad limited slip unit, the differential was not on a Ford and it was during acceleration and deceleration only.

Quick Reply: Differential problem 05 F-350 Diesel