1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Powder Coating Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Powder Coating Bumper

A friend thinks he can get my new front bumper powder coated for like $75 to a $100.... Is that a good price? Also has anyone Powder Coated their running boards? Wondering how they hold up?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I had my bumper done for $90 including the bolts to hold it on (just the heads). Looks great, can't say I've got a ton of miles on it to see how it last with the stones and sand around here.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

I powder coated my bumpers on my old 4x4 and that was atleast 10 years ago and it's held up great. Done a lot of offroading, towed with chain wrapped around the bumper.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Moe,
We weren't sure how to handle the running boards - worried about paint staying looking somewhat decent. We went with a bedliner product from a company called "Toff" similar to rhino-liner - it came out looking so good we did the bed & cab floor with it. It's not powdercoating but it's another alternative. Not sure it shows up well in a pic..

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Moe,
We weren't sure how to handle the running boards - worried about paint staying looking somewhat decent. We went with a bedliner product from a company called "Toff" similar to rhino-liner - it came out looking so good we did the bed & cab floor with it. It's not powdercoating but it's another alternative. Not sure it shows up well in a pic..

Ben in Austin
Ben, I think it looks great... kind of like a wrinkle finish... I will keep this in mind too... I'm just doing a lot of planning right now as cash is really tight... But have to make plans...

Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I'm just doing a lot of planning right now as cash is really tight... But have to make plans...

Moe, I do that a lot. It seems like money is always tight, but I can always find time to sit in the seat and do some planning/dreaming etc. Heck, back before my truck was driveable I spent many an afternoon sitting behind the wheel with a frosty cold one making silly vroom vroom noises while I drove it all over (at least inside my head)

I like the look of the rhino liner type stuff on the running boards, I'll have to keep that in mind also

Bobby

Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 290 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
...I spent many an afternoon sitting behind the wheel with a frosty cold one making silly vroom vroom noises while I drove it all over (at least inside my head)
Bobby,care to re-enact that touching scene for the viewing-entertainment of your fellow FTE'rs?LOL!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 617 Likes on 553 Posts
A friend of mine is redoing a 66 Nova, he dosen't have very much done yet. I was able to find a seat for him and he thru it in there just so he could sit in it and have a smoke and dream. There's not any glass, doors, interior, column or hood, but it is all there in his mind!
Hey, if you can't enjoy them, why have them!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Dropped off a bumper today to be powder coated

Well I found someone that will do it for anywhere from $50 to $125 for my front bumper. I dropped it off today to a company that gave me a good bid. He offered me that I could use the primer and it would double the price of the powder coating... I just went with no primer powder coated gloss black... That's the bumper and lower brackets... What has others paid for media blasting and powder coating of a bumper? If you don't want to post it on here please send me a PM so I can see how he is charging me.... Thanks!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Moe,

Ben in Austin
Ben I agree with the others, those running boards look great! Looks like they would have non-slip properties as well! good for covering small imperfections too!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Moe, that price is right in line. Never heard of using a "primer" with powder?

That finish on Ben's is used on a Cherokee I'm watching on eBay; Jeep : Cherokee Jeep : Cherokee | eBay Look close, they used it all the way up to the beltline, all around the car.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
I, too, have never heard of a primer used with powder coating. The parts are sandblasted, then the powder is applied electrostatically and baked in an oven where the powder melts and adheres to the metal directly. My experience is if it's done correctly, it only comes off with a grinder. That sounds a little fishy to me.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

I opt for not using primer but have read about it tonight and their are some that swear by it...

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We powder coat all our fuel tanks on our highway tractors. It's less than half the cost of painting them, and they're more resiliant. I'll be coating both bumpers and running boards for sure.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Moe, I do that a lot. It seems like money is always tight, but I can always find time to sit in the seat and do some planning/dreaming etc. Heck, back before my truck was driveable I spent many an afternoon sitting behind the wheel with a frosty cold one making silly vroom vroom noises while I drove it all over (at least inside my head)

I like the look of the rhino liner type stuff on the running boards, I'll have to keep that in mind also

Bobby

Kind of reminds me of this one:

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Bumper