Sponsored by:

Snowseekers 03-05 front-end update and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Snowseekers 03-05 front-end update and stuff

EDIT: The actual front-end update starts with post #67.

Well I went at the excursion front end today and came to a stand still right off the bat. I remember reading about having to change the header panel to have the headlights fit without cutting anything but I don't remember reading anything about the grill. All I remember reading was everyone was cutting the bottom of their grills off to make them fit, I just assumed the newer grills still attached to the factory locations. NOT SO, After seeing everything on the bottom side of the grill wasn't right I came in the house and did some searching and found out the header panel is different for the 05 grill as well. So until I get the header panel I'll have to wait on this project. But in the mean time I have a couple questions and pics. When I get the header panel I will update this thread.

First question, I wanted to get a paintable grill and I ended up getting a 05 F450 grill. Is the 450 grill the same as the F250's? Just seems extra big to me.

Second question comes with pics. Does it look as thought the 05 grill sticks out to far forward of the truck by the headlights? I thought the 05 grills sat near flush where they meet the headlights like the 03's?

And why the lower mounting is all wrong:

Yes I will be getting 05 headlights as well. I am going to check with the local yards today to see if any good head panels are around and how many limbs they want for one.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-02-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: To add info per OP's request
Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Once again another priority popped up, seems I can never get any fun work done.

While putting the bumper back on I saw a puddle, inspected it, diesel fuel. Fuel bowl valve O-rings are shot. I've been putting off this endeavor but now it looks as though I am gonna have to do the work.

I've been planning to reseal the whole top end one of these summers now it looks like I'm forced to. I want to do everything at once, injector O-rings, check and replace any bad glow plugs, retorque rockers, fuel bowl rebuild, oil and fuel X-overs, and possibly get into turbo stuff. On the fence about doing a turbo rebuild because it is fine and feels (finger check) good (better then most I check). But might want to replace pedestal O-rings. Is it worth the effort to do anything with the EBPV actuator thingy?

Here goes all my truck fun money for awhile.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I've been planning to reseal the whole top end one of these summers now it looks like I'm forced to. I want to do everything at once, injector O-rings, check and replace any bad glow plugs, retorque rockers, fuel bowl rebuild, oil and fuel X-overs, and possibly get into turbo stuff. On the fence about doing a turbo rebuild because it is fine and feels (finger check) good (better then most I check). But might want to replace pedestal O-rings. Is it worth the effort to do anything with the EBPV actuator thingy?
Not to hijack, but I just did all that AND the HPOP last April. Trust me, you'll have plenty of "fun".....

You might even make up/learn a new curseword or two...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Did you get your O-rings from guzzle? Looking at his site it looks like I can get everything I need plus the fuel filter from him.

Did you do the turbo rebuild and anything with the EBPV activator?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
So does that look right how far the 05 grill sticks out?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Did you get your O-rings from guzzle? Looking at his site it looks like I can get everything I need plus the fuel filter from him.

Did you do the turbo rebuild and anything with the EBPV activator?
I got everything from Clay as a package deal...but you can get the o-rings you need, you can get them from Bob.

I didn't do the turbo rebuild as mine was in great shape considering it's age.

I rebuilt the fuel bowl with new Viton o-rings, installed a Terminator T500 Hpop, new IPR, installed the high flow non-ebpv turbo outlet, also installed the non-ebpv turbo pedal along with viton o-rings.

Doing this eliminated alot of the common leak points and essentially gave me a new motor.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
On guzzles site the only place I seen an option for the viton (the blue ones correct?) o-rings was for the fuel bowl valve.

On clays site I could only find o-rings for the fuel bowl. Looking around I couldn't find any other o-rings for the top end.

Now that you mention it I do remember a thread (probably yours) talking about the ebpv-less pedestal and turbo outlet. Not sure I wanna spend that kind of money, if I can just replace some o-rings in the actuator I'll go that route. The ebpv doesn't bother me at all so long as it doesn't start spraying oil all over. lol

You happen to have the link to your rebuild handy?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 AM
labman1014
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So does that look right how far the 05 grill sticks out?
I think it looks normal. I get I a pic of mine here in a lil bit.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
On guzzles site the only place I seen an option for the viton (the blue ones correct?) o-rings was for the fuel bowl valve.

On clays site I could only find o-rings for the fuel bowl. Looking around I couldn't find any other o-rings for the top end.

Now that you mention it I do remember a thread (probably yours) talking about the ebpv-less pedestal and turbo outlet. Not sure I wanna spend that kind of money, if I can just replace some o-rings in the actuator I'll go that route. The ebpv doesn't bother me at all so long as it doesn't start spraying oil all over. lol

You happen to have the link to your rebuild handy?
I meant to start a thread about he rebuild, but never got around to it, entirely too busy. I still have the pics from it, so I may go ahead and do it even though it's 5 months after the fact...

Here are the Viton o-rings for the Turbo pedestal: Riffraff Diesel: Turbo / Pedestal O-rings

The fuel bowl, turbo pedestal, and HPOP (if I remember correctly) are the only things top side that require o-rings.

To me, the pedestal and Garrett high flow outlet were worth it because I eliminated two points of concern. I also gained some airflow, reduced EGTs, and the turbo spools noticable faster with no more flat spot.

I'll build the thread as soon as time allows with some detailed instructions...

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
labman1014
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thanks for the info Toreador and the pic Labman!

Today I pulled the fuel bowl valve off just to see what is going on. Turns out the yellow coating (I assume teflon) on the upper and lower O-rings was coming off and actually balled up between the ball valve and the O-ring causing the slight fuel leak. I pulled them out, cleaned them up and put them back in and put the valve back in. No leaks for now, at least I can use the X now for a little while. I am going to order all the O-rings for the top end and injectors this week. I am going to check into o-rings for the ebpv actuator and rebuild that as well if I can.

I pulled the fuel filter cap off and the bowl doesn't look super ugly inside but it does need a cleaning. I am running 2 cycle oil but it seams I see some brown in the filter more then the blue of the oil I thought I would see. The hard line on the passenger side from the fuel bowl to the back of the head is rusty and looks as though it is leaking way at the back end. Anyone have stainless replacements for all those hard lines coming and going from the fuel bowl?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Ordered the o-rings today, also orders 2 glow plugs in case I find a dead one or 2 when I have it apart. If not I'll have a couple spares. I didn't realize everything that comes with the ebpv actuator kit. I see for around $100 more then the rebuild I can get the ebpv elimination deal that Toreador mentioned. I will wait till I have it apart to make the decision.

I'm gonna be making all kinds of hard lines it looks.

*edit*
Forgot to add that I have been checking on a head panel and headlights. Every salvage yard tells me "No, ain't gott'em, those are hard to find.". I would love to get the front end pieces and do that the same time as o-rings.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Used it to haul a car to the junk, took it out to eat with the fam, when I got home I started tear down for new o-rings. I only put 40 minutes in and got the spider off, all the wiring unhooked and pushed aside, ready to pull drivers valve cover to do the injector o-rings, torque everything down, and check for bad glow plugs.

All my o-rings came in today!

How do you get the evac hose off the valve cover? The short L shaped one from the intake tube to valve cover.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Got all the injector o-rings done today, my fingers hurt. Went smoothly! Front two passenger side injectors had bad lower o-rings. There isn't anywhere for the oil to go if it gets past the bottom o-ring is there? Wouldn't it just get trapped in the cup with nowhere to go? You can see the bad o-rings in the pics. Did the 50 cent mod and replaced two glow plugs (since I bough two just in case), they weren't really bad I don't think but I had the extras. All of the glow plugs ohm'ed between .5-.7, the two I replaced ohm'ed at .3-.4 and .2-.3. I read they should be between .5-1.5.

Turbo looks good for 170K miles.

Pedestal gut?

Do you clean the reminents of the old o-rings out before installing the new ones? How do you get it out without having it fall in the oil holes?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Do you clean the reminents of the old o-rings out before installing the new ones?

Didn't really have to, all they leave behind is the layer of paint that almost serves as a way of marking where the o-rings go.

How do you get it out without having it fall in the oil holes?

They can't really fall into the oil holes, unless you force them in, but to get them out, I used these: 4 Piece Pick and Hook Set

But you could also use these: 7 Piece Pick and Hook Set

Pedestal gut?

Possibly, but rather than go though the trouble and have it leak again sometime down the road, I went with this: Riffraff Diesel: Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal

And this: Riffraff Diesel: Garrett High Flow Outlet

If funds allow, go with the parts above....if not, I know there's a way to gut it, just need to find the write up...

Btw, with those bad o-rings, did you notice any performance loss?

Quick Reply: Snowseekers 03-05 front-end update and stuff