Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks Power elbow and Banks Big head wastegate actuator

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
hick51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Power elbow and Banks Big head wastegate actuator

Hey yall im about to install the banks power elbow and the banks big head waste gate actuator on my 7.3 L. I would like to hear from yall who have done this and would like some pointers. yes banks has sent me a very detailed instruction list with both products however i have had my fare share of instructions that dont get the job done easily. Also the reason im installing the larger wastegate is because i have "Turbo flutter". This is what i have come to deterimine only by reading other posts in this forum. Any advice would be apprectiated. thanks. 7.3L Superduty lariat 4'' turbo back exhaust cold air intake throttle body spacer juice with attitude programer 6" lift 37" km2's

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When you put the BH WG on dont forget to tighten up the rod that it sits on 7 turns. Turbo flutter... Do u mean surge? A Wicked Wheel will take care of that but I dont recommend it because it cures turbo surge by reducing air flow to the engine. Im assuming your gonna try to do this with out pulling the turbo, so, take a piece of dental floss and tie it to the C-clip that your gonna need to take off on the actuated line to get it out and tie it some where close I can promise you if you dont and you pop that thing off its gonna go flying and youll never find it... Experience talking lol. Have fun aif you have any other questions bring them on.... have fun and let us know how it goes

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Gave away all my banks stuff. WW,turbo,BH wg,trans command,six gun,big hoss chip,gauges(boost&egt),and intake. Over priced merchandise and I didn't care to support them at all.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM
hick51
Freshman User
Got the job done, installed the banks big head waste gate and the banks power elbow. Not a FUN job to say the least. ended up replacing the y exhaust pipe and the two exhaust inlet pipes becuse of a bad exhaust leak. had to pull the whole turbo out, also replaced all four of the orings under the turbo and pedistool. over all very happy with the banks power elbow. waste gate didn't do a thing for performance or the turbo surge. after all that i have been reading here that what i need is the wicked wheel.............Wish i would have known that while the turbo was out of the truck!!!! now the wicked wheel calls for 5 hours of install time that i could have already been done with. and its half the price of the waste gate! turbo surge sucks

Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You may want to read my first post before you tear into it. Did you tighten the rod the 7 turns?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey Johnny, tightening up the w.g. wont help surge, bud. To the OP, I just installed a w.w, atmost, 1 hour tops. Removethe charge-side tube, and intake tubes, then you got access to the turbo. Remove the 5-bolts securing compressor housing to turbo and removethe "clip" that the w.g. rod attaches to, then snorkel out the housing. Exposed is the compressor wheel. Get/have an impact gun, and twist that thing off. Install the w.w. same way, with the gun, and walah, all done.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wastegate has NOTHING to do with surge...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Knowing what I know now, I would go with the ATS compressor housing.
Riffraff Diesel: ATS Ported Compressor Housing

Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
Knowing what I know now, I would go with the ATS compressor housing.
Riffraff Diesel: ATS Ported Compressor Housing
I agree!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM
hick51
Freshman User
hd rider; your saying to replace the housing instead of the wheel?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:04 PM
hick51
Freshman User
timmy, they specificaly say in the instructions for the ww to not use an impact becuase it can cause damage to the rod. Thoughts?

I just got my ww intoday, having never seen one before i have some strage Machined marks on the front and the rear of the wheel? almost looks like they shouldn't be there??? any body have any clue what im looking at?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hick51
hd rider; your saying to replace the housing instead of the wheel?
Yes, USA has a ported housing that is a little cheaper.
Riffraff Diesel: USA Ported Compressor Housing
Those machined marks on your wheel are from balancing.
When you remove the old wheel you can reach in from the exhaust side and grab the center of the turbine with a needle nose visegrip, then remove the intake wheel with a 5/8 wrench. You can just spin the new wheel on hand tight. It will self tighten.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
hick51
Freshman User
ok i installed the wicked wheel and now i have a howl. still the whistle like usual with straight pipe but at about 30mph and 2k rpm a howl.......any clue. one guy at ford today said he replace his wheel and then heard a similar howl and had to rebuild the whole turbo???? any clue? did i miss something? could be something not tight or maybe its just this wicked wheel sound? runs great! took care of the SURGE COMPLETLY.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You seem to be throwing parts at it without reading first what to do. One thing I will recommend is to read these forums very carefully and take notes. Most of your pains or problems have most likely been felt by someone else. This forum is great for learning what others have done so you can either follow their path, or stray away from it.

The WW is known to be louder and the howl, could very well be normal, or it could be something wrong with the turbo shaft. Free play should have been checked when you had the housing off, did you notice any? The other issue is the housing could have bent the blades if it was not installed correctly. Take a look at the inlet side of the turbo and see if you notice anything out of normal looking. If nothing is found, it may just be the sound of the WW.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
hick51
Freshman User
Thank you for the advice i really do appreciate it and it has helped me alot. However i enjoy the problems that i have encountered becasue they have become lessons that I wont forget. "young N dumb" "But not forever"

I did check for free spin of the wheel before installation of the compressor houseing and after and the wheel was as smooth as a whistle. i Guess my question is "has any one installed the ww and noticed a SIGNIFICANT sound change? Or is it possible that after using an impact on the wheel i might have tweeked the shaft or the bearing is beginning to fail?
Thanks again yall!

Quick Reply: Banks Power elbow and Banks Big head wastegate actuator