Aftermarket speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 11:01 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket speedometer

Hey,
I am in the process of making my own aluminum dash panel and using all aftermarket gauges. I have installed most every type of gauge at one time or another but never a speedometer. Do you use the stock cable from the truck or do the new speedo's come with cables and if so, how would you ever end up with the right end for the tranny.
Has anyone done this? Thanks.

I have a 77 F100 468 c.i., streetfighter C-6, 9" with Auburn pro series limited slip.L&L headers, motor mounts, brakets and pulleys, extreme 4x4 cam, roller rockers, eldebrock waterpump and performer intake, holley fuel pump, ford racing tall valve covers, speedpro coated pistons, head and block shaved. The frame painted dark mettalic grey, cab is in shop now getting total makeover, including welding of cowl holes for emblems, antenna hole welded up, cowl vent welded up, heater assembly removed and holes in firewall smoothed, glovebox shaved, ashtray and lighter shaved, and defroster holes and front speaker holes shaved. New floors, roof, cab corners, cab mounts .Getting painted hot lips red:-) Would love to show pictures, but can't seem to get them small enough for the gallery.

James

Old 08-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket speedometer

Having had both cable and electric speedometers, I would run a electric one. I am trying to decide between VDO, Stewart Warner, and ISSPRO.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Seabeetough
Junior User
Aftermarket speedometer

Can you post a picture of the dash your making? I was thinking of doing the same thing and could use a few ideas.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2003, 01:37 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Aftermarket speedometer

Sot, How would an electric speedo hook to the tranny on a C-6?

Seabee,
There's isn't much to see right now, all I have is the piece of aluminum cut out to fit the dash. I'm not going to cut the holes till I'm sure what size I am going to go with and what I am going to put where. I am going to have extra room for gauges because I wont have any heater controls. I used one of the dash bezel I had and made a template on the aluminum adding approx. 1/2 inch around to allow me to use stainless screws to mount to the dash.
James

Old 08-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Seabeetough
Junior User
Smile Aftermarket speedometer

Your not going to have heater controls? Are you going to drive it in the winter Can you keep us informed on some of the ideas you come up with?

Thanks and good luck

Last edited by Seabeetough; 08-23-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Seabeetough
Junior User
Talking Aftermarket speedometer

Can you tell me what kind of gauges will plug into the stock harness or would I have to cut and re-wire?

Thanks again

Old 08-23-2003, 10:20 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Aftermarket speedometer

Seebee,

I have the frame painted dark grey metallic, every bolt thus far on the truck is painted, I have a rolling chassis with approx. 8 grand in it thus far(I havent dared to add up the box of receipts yet). This baby will never see a flake of snow:-)

I have the vents in the cowl completely smoothed over, I have the inside dash piece behind the dash where the defroster vents and front speaker are, smoothed over, also the pass. side fire wall is completely smooth where the heater blower motor and the heater core mount smoothed over, so with out any heater assembly, I don't need the controls.
To maintain the smooth lines, I have completely welded over the ashtray, cigarette lighter and the complete right hand side of the dash where the glove box goes.
My bodyman is putting on a new roof tomorrow and he's going to finish removing the rest of the drip rails on the cab.
I have also had all the screw holes, windshield washer holes, and the holes where the front cowl seal goes welded over and smoothed along the inside of the firewall.
The antanna hole and all the emblem holes are welded up also...LOL
Anyways the list goes on, hard to remember all the spot that were smoothed over. Gonna look great though, something different. I could e-mail you a pic of the chassis if you would like sometime, the pictures didn't come out great but would give you an idea. Should have the cab back in a couple of weeks. Cant wait to drop that on the frame. All pieces of the truck are getting painted separately inside and out, with the exception of the bottom of the cab and floor of the cab being painted chassis black as opposed to the hot lips red, the rest of the truck is getting.
James

Old 08-23-2003, 10:25 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Aftermarket speedometer

Oops,
Most gauges, you have to run directly to what you reading, especially the ones with the idiot lights, then you have to decide whether you want mechanical or electric gauges, but it's not that bad of a job, usually the bigger problem is trying to route the wires to keep a clean engine bay(as I'm trying to do)
I'm also contemplating modifing the inner fender to come down at a smooth angle right from the top all the way down to the engine, like you see in alot of hot rod magazines.
Take Care
James

Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Aftermarket speedometer

Well,
Finally was able to get one pic to work in my gallery. Better than none I guess. Will give ya an idea of what I'm in the process of doing to the truck. Will post more pics in a couple of weeks when the cab comes back from the shop.
James