6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

She got Keyed....fix worse than the problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 924 Likes on 331 Posts
Cool She got Keyed....fix worse than the problem

Ok, so at some point a month or so ago, my truck got scratched. Looks like it got keyed, about 12-16" long on the passenger door. I cant tell you how PO'd I was.

So, I take it in to a body shop that had done body work on my 2005 SD, since that work looked as good as factory I had no qualms about having them do this work.

I picked the truck up today on my lunch hour, and didn't do a close examination since it was raining, but this evening it cleared up and was sunny, so I went outside to check it out. Looking at the fixed area in the bright sunlight.

Seems the fix isnt much better than the original problem. Finish is smooth, color match looks good, but they definitely didn't match the metallic look. You can clearly see where they painted/blended the new to old as the new metallic flakes are much finer than the factory finish.

Sad thing is, when I brought it in, I specifically asked about this, and if they could match the factory finish. I was told "no problem". I may have thought twice about the fix if their answer was any different, as the scratch might have been covered up by adding the factory option door moulding instead.

I am headed back there first thing tomorrow morning. I am just sick about this. Truck is only 4 months old.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear. I feel your pain from past episodes. I hope this does not happen to my new ride as I can't imagine how pissed I would be.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very sorry to hear about this. What color? Some colors are very hard to blend, especially the flake. My truck was key punched after having it only two weeks and they damaged the door but because of the black paint issues, I haven't got it fixed yet (really have to look close to see it). Color match/ blend is a huge issue but a good paintshop can do it. Make them do it right. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
It is Sterling Gray metallic. I am planning on running by the Ford dealership bodyshop first, and getting a second opinion before heading back to the fixing bodyshop. I know the fixing bodyshop is going to resist this because fixing means doing it all over again..... I'm not a body shop guy, but I noticed that they took the VIN number when doing the estimate. I assumed they use that to get the "formula" for the paint mix needed. Maybe not.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 AM
bondo7
Freshman User
SOME COLORS HAVE 2 TO 3 VARIATIONS ON SAME CODE,GRAY MET IS A HARD COLOR TO GET GOOD MATCH.A GOOD PAINTER CAN GET IT RIGHT.AIR PREASURE &DISTANCE OF GUN CAN ALSO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.PAINT CODE COMES OFF INFO PLATE ON LT DOOR.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bondo7
SOME COLORS HAVE 2 TO 3 VARIATIONS ON SAME CODE,GRAY MET IS A HARD COLOR TO GET GOOD MATCH.A GOOD PAINTER CAN GET IT RIGHT.AIR PREASURE &DISTANCE OF GUN CAN ALSO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.PAINT CODE COMES OFF INFO PLATE ON LT DOOR.
Thanks Bondo... Honestly the color looks good. It is the size of the metallic flakes that are way off. I know I am not using the right terminology. How does metalflake work? does the painter choose a type?

The whole thing is not so noticable in overcast conditions, but when the sun is out, the mismatch really stands out.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I had my flares painted to match the truck and the finish is perfect so a good paint shop can do it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 AM
bondo7
Freshman User
the pearl flakes are not laying right,might be air preasure.if the color is right the mix is correct.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

I ran into this same thing several years ago with a car that had a flake in the factory paint ("Black Magic Pearl-coat"). I had the shop repaint the hood THREE times before they finally matched the original paint.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
bondo7
Freshman User
I've seen the best painters in this area have this problem,the more pearls there is the harder it gets,don't always blame the painter.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Took the truck back to the body shop. After talking with them and looking at it together in the bright sun, they agreed to re-do it.

I had also gotten a second opinion from a different body shop, just to make sure it wasnt ME that was being too picky. They agreed that it wasnt right.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
bondo7
Freshman User
any good b/s would do this.good luck.my truck & wife's focus are gray met hope I never have to paint on them.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
fixdent
Senior User
Yep, it could be one of the different variations of the same color. I am an autobody repairer and painter. Sometimes I pull out my hair.....LOL, not lots left after 37 years of this profession.

Sometimes the problem is trying to keep the repair small. Therefore, not using the required distance and air pressure.

There are some colors that have 10 or 12 variants of the same color.

Up here in Canada, we have had to switch over to waterborne paints and doing a small blends have become very difficult. The paint is so thick that you can't keep it small. Mostly a repair involves blending into adjacent panels so the blend can be big.

If they are going to repaint, now they have to go bigger than the blend that they already did, so they will likely go into the adjacent panels....

I usually do this, and when the customer comes in, they are looking at the panel that was repaired and think the color is a perfect match, because they are comparing the repaired panel to the adjacent panel.......it is a bit more work but works out for the best, and saves doing it over again.

--
Gordon

Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
bondo7
Freshman User
I was in the paint & body repair for 52 years,from cleaning up cars & sanding to owning my own bodyshop.retired after 25 years as a b/s manager in ford dealership.
GLAD TO BE OUT OF IT!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fixdent
(snip)
If they are going to repaint, now they have to go bigger than the blend that they already did, so they will likely go into the adjacent panels....

(snip)
--
Gordon
Yea, the blend already went into the front quarter, since the repair was close to the front edge of the door. Like I mentioned earlier, the color match was actually good. It was lacking metalflake. Noticably dull when compared to the untouched parts of the truck around it.

I think the painter must have had a bad day anyway, because there was also what appeared to be specs of buffing compound UNDER the clearcoat.

I'm sure he wont be getting paid to do the same job twice.

Quick Reply: She got Keyed....fix worse than the problem