Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior User

Dodge41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Grill Guard. What did I just buy?

I purchased a grill guard last week for a 48-50 ford truck. My intentions are to put in on the front of my 1949 f2 when I one day get to tear it down. I have seen pictures of guards before, both on this site and the web, but I have never seen one like this. It does not appear to be home made. If it is I have to give a hats off to whom ever made it as they did an excellent job. Either way I am happy with it as it follows the lines of the grill. It has been blasted and painted but they did not fill the pits from the surface rust. This is not an issue though I can easily re-do that part.

Click the image to open in full size.

So what do you fella's think? Does anyone have any idea as to manufacturer or any other info?
--Ignore the date btw, the camera is wrong!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
It would make a damn nice footboard for a bed!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
That cow catcher does look good. Craftsmanship was high-quality 60+ years ago and that piece could have very well been made by a professional blacksmith. I bet that grille guard weighs about 50-75 lbs.

I've had this 48-50 grille guard for a few years now. The bars were slightly bent and I had them straightened and the whole thing painted black. Don't know what to do with it.

I also recently picked up some parts from a 51 F3 and this was the grille guard attached to the top of the front bumper. Also have no idea what to do with it.

Just as an FYI, Ford made their own grille guards, too. This one's on my 52 Panel. I have another one just like it for the 51.

...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the replies! Whether it is bought or home made I am happy with it. Seeing how it follows the lines of the grill makes it move visually appealing for me. I am happy with my purchase and do hope to one day have it installed!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
I remember seeing reproduced adds from the late 40s for that grill guard. I don't remember the manufacturer.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Senior User

ct50f1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge41 View Post
So what do you fella's think? Does anyone have any idea as to manufacturer or any other info?
My truck came with a grill guard and a wrap around rear bumper with a trailer hitch on it. They had a tag attached which said, " Another Smash Hit Product - Grill Guards and Bumpers, The Perry Company, Waco, Texas".

It's a little more formal looking than yours but yours might have been a less expensive choice or an earlier model.

1950 F-1, 7HT
1931 A, 160B
Old 09-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Elder User

badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct50f1 View Post
My truck came with a grill guard and a wrap around rear bumper with a trailer hitch on it.
A little OT, but Dan, how did you mount your spare tire on the passenger side behind the cab?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Elder User

mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like the one on my buddies old farm truck. His dad bought it new but he left it in the field so long until it is now hopeless. I wish I had known about it before he took it out of the shed 10 yrs. ago. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior User

ct50f1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger_hound View Post
A little OT, but Dan, how did you mount your spare tire on the passenger side behind the cab?
I didn't do it - it was that way when I bought it. I'm still trying to decide if I want t keep it that way or put it back under the bed.

They did a fairly neat job of welding a mounting plate to the side of the box but, as you can see from the second photo, it looks like they used a rubber mallet to put the well in the fender.

1950 F-1, 7HT
1931 A, 160B
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Elder User

badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct50f1 View Post

They did a fairly neat job of welding a mounting plate to the side of the box but, as you can see from the second photo, it looks like they used a rubber mallet to put the well in the fender.

Ouch! The bracket looks solid, but the mallet work is a little uneven as you mentioned... still doesn't look bad from a distance in your earlier photo.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
I really like that grill guard. mytbtruck - too bad you aren't closer to Texas, I'd be interested in your friend's if he wanted to sell it, but I bet shipping would be a lot. Does anyone know of one in Texas that isn't bent up or rusted out?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I really like that grill guard. mytbtruck - too bad you aren't closer to Texas, I'd be interested in your friend's if he wanted to sell it, but I bet shipping would be a lot. Does anyone know of one in Texas that isn't bent up or rusted out?
You can have my black one for a good price, even after shipping.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbtruck View Post
Looks like the one on my buddies old farm truck. His dad bought it new but he left it in the field so long until it is now hopeless. I wish I had known about it before he took it out of the shed 10 yrs. ago. Click the image to open in full size.
The one as shown in this picture matches the one that I have. Thanks for the photo! I doubt two people would make the exact same one, therefore I suspect mine was made as an aftermarket piece. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge41 View Post
The one as shown in this picture matches the one that I have. Thanks for the photo! I doubt two people would make the exact same one, therefore I suspect mine was made as an aftermarket piece. Thanks for all the replies!
The two are similar, but they have thier differentes too. I can see three really fast; size of the Light gaurd, where the bottom of the light gaurd mounts, and also the mounting point of the top hoop. they both may be aftermarket grill gaurds... I like how tight and conformed yours is... Love to see how it looks on a Bonus Built.

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Senior User

John - NNY is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is the grill guard that came with my parts truck. Actually, it came with a second one just like it. Paid $350 for this F-7 and the guy delivered it for free. Came with complete 337 flathead core anD a complete original radio.
John
NNY
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1948, 56, 67, antique, bronco, brush, cattle, f100, ford, grill, guard, guards, homemade, ii, truck