6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tested her a bit yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tested her a bit yesterday!

As some of you may know, the central part of Texas is battling raging wildfires, and hundreds of peoples and animals - especially livestock - are being affected and displaced. So far I am not in any direct danger, but yesterday several of my friends were. So my boyfriend and I hooked up the horse trailer and headed out to help relocate those that we could.

We wound up transporting three huge warmbloods (poor things barely fit in my standard trailer, they usually ride in oversized ones) about 45 miles, heading north into a strong headwind with 30 - 40 mph gusts. It was rough. But I am proud to say that the truck acted as if the trailer and all that weight - and especially the wind - weren't even there. The strongest gusts we dealt with were barely even felt, and at no point did I ever think I was in danger of losing the slightest bit of control. I have never felt anything feel so solid! I had complete and total confidence in her ability the whole time, and under stressful circumstances, it was nice to have one less thing to worry about.

Plus, not only did she pull strong and true and get us all to our destination safely, she did it at 13 mpg!

Now, I know many of you pull heavier loads regularly, and my ~10k may not sound like a very big deal - but when you have someone else's prized living, breathing creatures under your care, it's not about how much they weigh or how heavy a load you can pull, it's about knowing your truck just flat can.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the troubles in Texas, but glad to hear you were able to help out. Wish we could send you some of the record rainfall we have had this year...

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Chase This!
Freshman User
Right on!!!

Terrible fire. Thoughts out to all affected.

Brandon

Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
That is really great you were able to help out. I am glad your truck did so well!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Awesome feeling; confidence. It's nice to hear about your experience. Hope it continues to build.

Very disheartening what's happening in Texas. Seeing it on the news daily. My prayers are with y'all!!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
It's just crazy down here, fires continue to pop up, either from careless drivers flinging lit cigarette butts or sparks from tow chains - it really isn't taking much of anything to set them off. We haven't had any measurable rain for over a year, and now a front has brought high winds and low humidity. I think if you just stare at the ground long enought it'll spark a flame.

More friends are being threatened - Evelyn and I may have to go help again. Glad to know my truck can handle it.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pam, I wish we could send you some of the rain that we have been seeing! We have received over 2.5" so far today and it continues to rain. We are looking at rain for the next 2 to 3 days. The farmers are complaining about the corn being down from the Hurricane 2 weeks ago, but at least they have corn to worry about. You guys can't have much of anything growing anywhere. I hope those hay burners can eat dust bunnies this winter!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
I was thinking I might put Evelyn to work this week hauling hay in from out of state - but what we were going to get got rained on. It's the definition of irony for me.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know what you feel like, I used my truck to drag an equipment trailer throug the wreckage in Birmingham after that huge tornado in march. Fields, driveways, yards, yanking large oak trees that had been twisted and snapped, made me proud to have my truck serve so well. Good luck, I think it goes without saying that any of us here would come and help you out if necessary, and possible.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Aw, thanks! I just hope something gives, and soon. No rain in the forecast for the next seven days, it's up to choppers and water-hauling airplanes to try and douse what's burning. At least I have the means to get my critters out if any of it heads this way.

Here's what we're facing:

Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow, that's intense.

I was thinking about these fires Saturday while I was in Colorado Springs when I awoke to wind howling around the hotel.
Fires you can't control are bad in many ways but as a land owner, it's a concern of mine.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
markiemark
Junior User
2Horses,

You and your wife are good peeps for helping others like that. I hope others will see that and do the same. God Bless, Mark

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markiemark
2Horses,

You and your wife are good peeps for helping others like that. I hope others will see that and do the same. God Bless, Mark
Congratulations Pam! I didn't know that you had taken on a wife.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM
markiemark
Junior User
Oops. Back up to "boyfriend and I". DUH. Sorry

Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Ha! No problem, I'm a girl in a boys club, I know.....

Quick Reply: Tested her a bit yesterday!