New guy, 5.4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Chris91LX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy, 5.4 questions

Looking to improve the intake and exhaust on my '00 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside. The truck is bone stock right now and I'm interested in what I can do to improve the performance a bit, (more for better gas mileage and efficiency than for horsepower right now).

I've heard mixed reviews on the FIPK. I don't want to open my intake to the engine bay heat and I've heard you can just insulate the stock filterbox somehow and add a K&N and get better results. Is there a link or tech article that would show how this insulating the airbox would be done?

Also wanted to improve the exhaust a bit, not sure that I want to run anything as loud as Flowmasters, but was wondering what info there is on converting my truck to a true dual exhaust, or if it wouldn't be worthwile and I should just swap the muffler.

Lastly, looking for resources on truck parts and tech articles. I've been working on my Mustang for a few years now, but this is my first truck so I feel like I'm starting over with a whole new animal. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

Chris

Old 04-27-2003, 10:15 PM
mystiquewarrior
New User
Lightbulb New guy, 5.4 questions

Have you tried www.fordracing.com there might be some ideas for you there?

Old 04-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Chipster
Senior User
New guy, 5.4 questions

Just installed K&N E-0945 and love it. $54. You can feel the difference, which surprised the skeptic in me. Gibson makes a header for this engine.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:26 AM
warmdye
Elder User
New guy, 5.4 questions

Why do you want quiet dual exhaust? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Old 04-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Chris91LX
New User
New guy, 5.4 questions

Originally posted by warmdye
Why do you want quiet dual exhaust? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
Didn't say I wanted it quiet, I like a good rumble, I just don't want to set off car alarms everytime I drive by a parking lot. I like the sound of the Borla, but don't want to take out a second mortgage to put exhaust on my truck either.

Thanks Chipster, I'll look at that part #, maybe that'll work for me.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:07 AM
ssKable
Senior User
New guy, 5.4 questions

I have a 99 f150 5.4L v8 and originally I was doing the same thing you where, just wanted to do exhaust and air intake to make the mileage go up. I would deffinatly recommend 3inch dual exhaust with a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler. That is the first thing I did to my truck and it sounds very nice. Not loud and unclean sounding like glass packs or magnaflows. It has an extremely nice purr to it especially when you accelorate. I just had my converters cut off and put gibson headers on and it just got a little louder and kept the same purr that it has and its still not too loud.

As for the intake bought an airaid intake withought doing any research. Its nice but it sucks the warm air from the engine, I just found out about a volant intake its the only intake that accually uses a sealed off box similar to the stock one and it sucks cool air from the outside. I am deffinatly replacing my airraid with the volant.

After putting the exhaust on I noticed I got about 2 more miles to the gallon, didnt really notice a difference with the intake but i think my truck was having some other problems when i had that installed. Another thing that will improve your mileage is a throttle bodie spacer. I put a Helix throttle body spacer in and I got a little better miles to the gallon plus a noticable increase in hp. Only downside to that is that it would make an annoying whistling noise when accelorating. The noise went away after I put my new 75 mm BBK throttle bodie on but then my mileage dropped 2 miles to the gallon when I did that. Not sure if it was supposed to or not because I thought more air to the engine was supposed to help gas mileage. The throttle bodie didn't say anything about mileage on it. Hope this info helps.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:47 AM
ExNavyInHouston
New User
New guy, 5.4 questions

I am also a new guy and I just bought a 2003 F250 with the 5.4L. From experience from my last two 5.4s (97 and 2001 F150), I immediately put a Magnaflow Muffler and a Cat-Back setup on.

I was like you, I didn't want the teenager rumble, but more a low rumble that wakes up if you really get on it. Also, I didn't want the noise so loud if would affect in-cab noise at highway cruising speeds.

I do have the Diablo Delta Chip on the way and will report back this weekend when I get it.

As far as an air intake system, I would wait a week or so (Ken the Webmaster) told me he had just finished evaluating the MAC Cold Air Intake and was so impressed he is adding it to his line-up this week. He said it costs about half what the FIPK costs and even more important -- it looks twice as good -- hehehe!

I plan to add that after I get the chip ... I think with the Dualed Exhaust, Chip and Cold Air Intake I should be where I want for a while. I say that but I am starting to see modifications are like Tatoos -- you get one and you start planning your next.

Navy

Old 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM
RowdyRed94
New User
New guy, 5.4 questions

Hey, guys, troll here. I drive a Mustang and put the Borla cat-back on it. Woah, is that sweet. Here's the deal: find the best price you can online, then go to carparts.com and ask for their 10% price guarantee. I got mine for just over 5 bills delivered.

I wouldn't put anything on my vehicles that isn't at least as good as the stock part (stainless).

Enjoy.