Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

L.P., I.P., Air, Injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 AM
SMS888
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.P., I.P., Air, Injectors??

My truck has beenacting kinda crazy lately. '94 F350 7.3 Turbo E4OD. So I recently replaced all the return lines and caps, and all lines from the L.P. up. I added an electric pump between the L.P. and the filter for bleeding, etc.. Now there are no visible leaks and my trouble started at over 3/4 tank. So when I start the truck, she shutters, pops, runs real rough. Sometimes she'l die without some throttle toying. If I run the E.P. for a while before she starts and let the truck run for 30+ sec. with the pump running it'll even out and idle fine. When I drive it, sometimes she'll surge as if there is air in there. Also when I drive the truck under maybe 1/4 throttle, it acts like there is a dead spot like on a carb. If I press the pedal, it feels like it isn't getting the fuel it needs, and sometimes it will have bursts like the throttle got stuck, but it didn't. I know it has about 200k on original injectors/i.p.. I replaced the lift pump 5k ago, and the return lines with it. Glow plug system is all new. Fires right up normally, although the timing is definitely retared(currently staticly timed), and I can smell fuel in my exhaust. So is it time for an i.p. and injectors, or did I just miss a leak somewhere? Thanks all for your help!

Steve

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
At 200K on your IP and injectors , I would say you are past due for a new set. Getting it timed correctly may help, but I would still bet the IP is in need of a rebuild.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
SMS888
Junior User
Oh yeah, and the idle randomly rises to about 900 and just sits there.. I'm guessing this is all i.p.? So, I've been reading all the forums and I'm trying to pick the best place for pumps/injectors. Can anybody recommend a place? I like the prices at Pensicola, anybody ever had trouble there? Also, injectors? BB? I have the stock(G) injectors but how will BB's affect my emmisions, my state kinda sucks with all that crap.. I figured I would also pick up a new return line kit just cuz. Suggestions, ideas, comments? Thanks all!!

Steve

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SMS888
Oh yeah, and the idle randomly rises to about 900 and just sits there.. I'm guessing this is all i.p.? So, I've been reading all the forums and I'm trying to pick the best place for pumps/injectors. Can anybody recommend a place? I like the prices at Pensicola, anybody ever had trouble there? Also, injectors? BB? I have the stock(G) injectors but how will BB's affect my emmisions, my state kinda sucks with all that crap.. I figured I would also pick up a new return line kit just cuz. Suggestions, ideas, comments? Thanks all!!

Steve
I doubt the injectors will effect the emmisions enough on these trucks. you will be happier with the BB's. anyways, how could they prove that you don't have G codes?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a tune up with these fuel prices is cheaper than running detuned for sure no matter what,so that's always a good idea.
your problem sounds like a fuel/air leak back at the tank or the lines.
the fuel line was metal stock and rusts out especially around the clips that hold it to the frame rail.a rusted out sending unit can cause the trouble as well.
my rear tanks sending unit has rusted out pinholes.............still lol.
and runs exactly like your describing if i try that tank.i obviously don't need dual tanks,so i why i even bothered with that is beyond me haha.one day i will get around to having my sending unit repaired with new lines back there.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
SMS888
Junior User
Well, it is time for a fill up, so I'll switch tanks and see how it reacts until I can get my hands on the tune-up parts. Maybe I do have a leak but I havent stuck my head up under the cab yet. Well, thanks all as always! If anybody knows of a recommended purchasing location for the pump and injectors, feel free to shout it out, money is always tight and diesel aint getting any cheaper..

Steve

Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Uhaul trucks is selling rebuilt pumps on Ebay for $270. Several members have purchased one and most have had good results. The last one I had rebuilt cost me around $475 at my pump guy that I use.