1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

5.0 Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Jeff, what year is your F150? The guy who has this engine/trans that I am looking at is driving a 2012 and says that he averages over 20 mpg with the Ti-VCT 5.0 and 6-spd auto setup.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I did find this instruction sheet for the crate version harness...I am hoping that it will also apply to the stock vehicle harness. http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...6017-A504V.pdf

Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obviously not running yet...........but it fits. I have to move the firewall back a bit, and use a remote oil filter, but no major problems otherwise. Looks like the exhaust will clear, and the steering looks as if it should line up without too much fiddling around. I used a TCI Mustang II IFS.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is a 2012 also. I have not seen 20 MPG but I do mostly (90%) city driving very little highway and only have alittle over 5000 miles on motor. I am getting 14 MPG right now.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rusted56
Obviously not running yet...........but it fits. I have to move the firewall back a bit, and use a remote oil filter, but no major problems otherwise. Looks like the exhaust will clear, and the steering looks as if it should line up without too much fiddling around. I used a TCI Mustang II IFS.
That really looks sweet! I was interested in the top cover...does it cover the intake manifold runners or are they painted silver from the factory? I see that the Ford Racing Products site offers that cover and the valvecover trims as a package...makes the engine look even cleaner.

Another question...did you use the OEM stock motor mounts? The engine that I am looking at still has the stock motor mounts, they appear to have a flat mounting surface that is parallel to the ground. Looks like they could be easily adapted to most any application.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Hey Charlie,

The intake runners are aluminum colored from the factory. I had the cover on there because I was measuring clearance to cut the firewall, and want enough room to get my
hands or a tool up top and in behind. The cover kit really does dress it up nicely, but I haven't had the valve cover trim on yet, still in the plastic......

Motor mounts on the engine side are the 4.6 modular mounts, they weren't terribly expensive, 80 or 100 bucks for the pair, I think. We fabbed the mounts on the frame, just had some metal bent at a local shop, then measured the angles for the frame, cut them and welded them on.

Here's the engine without the cover.

Last edited by Rusted56; 02-18-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
56fromm
Freshman User
Finished bolting my coyote and tranny in this afternoon. Steering rack clears, headers clear firewall clears. All I have to cut is space for the transmission.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Looks good! I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when it's on the road.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
I'm not that familiar with these older trucks, but I would be really surprised if one of you guys have not put a 4.6 and a 4r70w out of tbird in one of these yet.

nice looking motor 56fromm !

Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 AM
rzns60
Senior User
I believer there are 3 (Rusted56, 56fromm) of us at about the same stage doing Coyote installs. I spoke with an enginer at Ford on the Truck version and they have not tested the wiring harness with it, but he guessed it would work. I purchased a salvage motor and transmission. As you can see by the photo below the stock manual trans will not work due to the length and must be changed for a T56 or similar. The auto trans is an option, but requires a computer to run it. Apperantly the engine fits better in the No Limit IFS with no interference with the firewall, and the TCI one does have interference. That could be for other reasons, like motor mount placement and where the cross-member was placed.

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
56fromm
Freshman User
Ihave a no limit ifs with shockwaves moved forward 1 1/4 inch from the stock axle centerline to center the front wheels in the fender. Doing this allowed me about 1 inch of total clearance that I split between the oil pan to suspension cross member and the back of the engine to the firewall. I've got a 4r75 bolted to it and I will have to do some clearancing at the trans tunnel but that is all. The stock tubular headers work out. Steering linkage is simple and lines up nicely. I think I'll buy the epas steering rack so the I can retain the stock belt and pulley setup. I had to build custom motor mounts and standoffs so that I could use aftermarket urethane motor mounts for the mustang (I got the bullet ones and they look nice). Right now I'm working on the reared. I bought two explorer rear 8.8s and am taking them apart to half two long sides on one setup. Ill be running 20x10 wheels with virtually no offset and 295 tires. Once it's in there I'll bolt the bed down and section my fenders so that when its laid out (air ride) I've got the clearance I need. I'm guessing 2-3 inches will be needed.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
McMatty
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Currently having a '53 built and my Coyote is sitting at the shop now.
It's great to see that others had the same idea to drop this beauty into their trucks.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 56fromm,
I'm always trying to learn... I've got an Explorer 8.8 in the back - What's gained by buying 2 Explorer 8.8's & using axles off of both? We didn't do this one - just wondering....

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
56fromm
Freshman User
I wanted to run 10 inch wide wheels so it was either have no backspace and run a close to stock width or go wider and run less backspace. For me it came down to appearance I like the 5 inch dish on wheels and thought more was excessive. The other thing is the explorer is approximately the same width as the original but has an offset center section due to the transfer case offset in the explorer.

A rear end is $150 where I'm at with discs and 3L73, a nice perk is that a lot of classic mustang guys also like the explorer rear end but need two short side axles. I'm going to reassemble both and sell the short one at a swap meet for hopefully what my investment was.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
48prerunner
Senior User
Originally Posted by rzns60
I believer there are 3 (Rusted56, 56fromm) of us at about the same stage doing Coyote installs. I spoke with an enginer at Ford on the Truck version and they have not tested the wiring harness with it, but he guessed it would work. I purchased a salvage motor and transmission. As you can see by the photo below the stock manual trans will not work due to the length and must be changed for a T56 or similar. The auto trans is an option, but requires a computer to run it. Apperantly the engine fits better in the No Limit IFS with no interference with the firewall, and the TCI one does have interference. That could be for other reasons, like motor mount placement and where the cross-member was placed.
I'm working on swapping a coyote in my 69. Have you looked into either the canton or moroso oil pans to gain more clearance. On trans other than most people not liking the new 6 speed. why is it too long?

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote