1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My brake booster is hitting my crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Hey Doc, here's how I set mine up with the cantalever idea you had. I fabbed the crossmember. I didn't use a booster because it really is not necessary. A booster is going your pedal very sensitive. When driving a "modern car" with a booster you have your heal on the floor and push gently. With the stock pedal on the truck, your foot is off the floor making a light touch difficult.Without the booster, the pedal works more like the original because you need more foot pressure. Mine stops just fine without the booster with disc in front and drums on the rear. You could weld a plate on the crossmember you have which would allow you to relocate the crossmember. The cantalever idea worked for me.
Thanks for the picture. That looks good. I'm just worried that my "cantilever" would have to really extend off the front of that thing probably 3 or 4 more inches to clear. I'll keep scratching my head on that one. Actually, the crossmember I have now would have definitely worked with yours considering you're not running a booster. I actually used it on this truck last summer when it had the stock MC. I just hadn't considered using a manual MC with front disc brakes.

Originally Posted by Old F1
Works for me,......................but KY is a long ways from here so I should be safe from the runaway truck with no brakes!!

Almost sounds like as much work as moving the cross-member which is a more uncluttered solution? (sorry).

So this did not come with a new petal and petal mount, right? The universal one does, but then the petal can end up in a new location, depending on interference issues.
LOL. It might be a runaway truck someday. Actually, it pretty much was indeed a runaway truck when I first bought it.

But to answer your question about the pedal, it only came with what's in the picture. I'm gonna have to use the original pedal assembly and mount. Oh no doubt moving the mount is the simplest, but the worry for me is how far I have to move it and what type of plate extension I have to put on it to reach back up to the tail piece of that transmission.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
The extension rod would go from the front of that booster assembly to the pedal assembly on the original crossmember. As a result, the pedal would be in the original location. What do you think?
I believe that's what I said, above.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10696843

Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I believe that's what I said, above.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10696843
Yep. It is. I just couldn't figure out what I could mount the front of that booster to until I thought about that other piece of that crossmember. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
But don't get me wrong. Im not totally convinced I even want to try that. I still worry it would just look like a cobbed up mess. I just wanted to throw that out and see what you guys thought.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you could weld a couple of gussets (triangular support plates) under the mounting plate. That would make it strong enough. Mine is a C4 tranny which is much smaller than your C6.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Yeah that's looking like what I'm gonna have to do. I have been measuring it, and I could definitely use that other part of the original crossmember like I described above, but the extension push bar would have to be a little over a foot long it looks like. I don't know how reasonable that would be. I dug out a piece of plate 1/4" steel and I'm gonna borrow a saw to cut it this weekend for an extension.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi I hope this isn't a dumb question but I have to ask. What will it be like to fill the m/c after the cab is on with the m/c moved back? Sorry for asking.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by old ugly
Hi I hope this isn't a dumb question but I have to ask. What will it be like to fill the m/c after the cab is on with the m/c moved back? Sorry for asking.
As you can imagine, it would be pretty tough with the m/c located directly under the drivers fanny and inches beneath the floor pan. A remote fill kit is available, which is basically an auxiliary reservoir with hoses leading to a special m/c cap. It can be mounted in a more convenient location, either under the hood or behind the seat, etc.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by old ugly
Its not a dumb question at all. Wayne pretty much covered it. I plan on getting everything filled and bled before the cab goes back on. There's room to fill it or check it if a remote fill system is not used. Its a tight fit however as you would imagine.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
................................................. like mine?

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Oh I will definitely be buying that remote fill kit soon.

So I think I've got my crossmember modified enough to work. I actually placed it all in as a mockup with the booster/MC installed. The crossmember (with the extension plate) fit perfectly between the booster and proportioning valve. But apparently my phone didn't save the final picture. But here's the crossmember top and bottom (I got a little drunk drilling the holes for the 4 bolts but I don't care). I also fabbed up a little gusset for the bottom of that thing to keep it from bending and welded the crap out of it. Don't laugh at my welding.

And by the way, I borrowed this saw to cut the steel. For those of you who cut steel all the time, you HAVE to have one of these. Unbelievable. Cuts just like a regular wood circular saw.