1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
yup
you got it

This is a great hobby!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Simple update... visor arms

My truck came with 2 visors. Only one cardboard visor remained (which is bent) but luckily, I have both visor arms.

One was pretty nasty looking so I decided to clean them up today. Whoopee, right? Well, at least I did something else to the truck...

I didn't take a before shot of the bad one, so I guess it wasn't really nasty after all... But it required two disc sander pads to clean it.

Here's a shot of the bad one on top after I cleaned it up, with the "good" one on the bottom for comparison.

Obviously, the good one didn't look too good anymore, so I cleaned it up too. I just used a green Scotch-Brite on it. It's still the bottom one in the pic.

Hey, one more thing off the list. Now I need to order some more parts. I'm going to wait on getting the visors until I decide what color I'm going to paint the interior. But I'd like for my next step in the project to be replacing the drivers side rear cab mount to get the cab off the frame.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 AM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those look great! I thought you would subject them to electrolysis, but they turned out very nice with just the abrasives.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Steve-V
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice Project!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by speedyweasel
Those look great! I thought you would subject them to electrolysis, but they turned out very nice with just the abrasives.
They were tarnished but I would not call it surface rust. I might have been able to clean up the good one with polish, but the bad one needed some elbow grease.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Steve-V
Very nice Project!
Thank you. And Welcome to FTE!

Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Today I decided to do something I've been putting off in honor of Bobbytnm, whose motto is "When I get around to it..."

I thought the new bed looks nice but that the script needed to be painted white. I'm not sure if that's the way they were stock, but that's the way I want it to look.

My plan was to make a paper template because my hands shake too much to be an artist. Here's what I started on...

But, that didn't work. When I started cutting it out, I tore it. I don't know if it would have worked anyway... but it was a thought.

I started trying to outline the script with tape like I saw Denny do on one of his trucks. I don't have that skill either.

So, I grabbed a brush and paint and started smearing it on the script.

This is the first coat... and it looks okay from 10 feet. Check out my granddaughter's photobomb...

But it needs more work, as you can see up closer.

Well, the pic looks better than real life. But I'm going to put a second coat on it after this one dries.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good to me Joe! A little at a time.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Looks good to me Joe! A little at a time.
Thanks Keith.

I should have said it needed touch-up, not a second coat. It's on there pretty thick since I brushed it.

Anyway, here's the final product. I'm happy with it.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow looking really good! I like the shorter bed myself. Good choice! The truck has came a LOOONG ways since last I seen it. Nice work!

Old 09-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dano78
Wow looking really good! I like the shorter bed myself. Good choice! The truck has came a LOOONG ways since last I seen it. Nice work!
Where you been Dano? Haven't seen you around for a while.

Thanks for the kind words. I like the way the truck is turning out. I said in a post on here about 4 years ago that it would probably not be stock when I'm finished with it (if that ever happens) but it will be the way I want it.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I really like the direction you've been taking it. It's really turning out nice! A long ways from where it started decorated with Christmas lights sitting outside.

Yeah, life has just been getting busier and busier. The kids are getting older (14 & 7) and their extra curricular activities and whatnot just chews away at most all my spare time. Just a dad with kids and a FT job.. time is valuable! But I have a girlfriend now and she's been a blessing and a great help when she can be around to pitch in. So yeah trying to show my face around a little more. Haven't done much to my truck either... just small stuff. But I do what I can.

Anyways, keep up the good work on that truck! I'm liking it!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Looks good Joe.

I tried several different things with mine; I tired a small foam roller pad, taping off the letters, etc... In the end I did it by hand with a small brush. From about 10' it looks alright

Once I redo my tailgate I'll try my hand at it again......someday......

Bobby

Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Looks good Joe.

I tried several different things with mine; I tired a small foam roller pad, taping off the letters, etc... In the end I did it by hand with a small brush. From about 10' it looks alright

Once I redo my tailgate I'll try my hand at it again......someday......

Bobby
Thanks Bobby.

Yes, mine isn't perfect by any means, but it also looks good from 10 feet. And that was the best I could hope for doing it the way I did.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Mine is also a 10-footer. If anyone starts getting any closer, I just tell them to get away!

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project