Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Video works for me.
The link works. But I used to be able to add a video to a post, and it would look like a video in the post, instead of like a link to the video. I don't know if Photobucket changed, but I can't do that any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Video link worked for me, too. What a nice day and a fun looking parade. Ol' Betsy did her job very well, standing tall and proud. Congrats on getting all the problems fixed. But the Shriners in the midget cars is always fun.
Kathy took more video, and if the parade gets put up on YouTube, I'll post that link too. The parade was about an hour long and 1.2 miles. That's how slowly I was driving. The little midget cars were having a ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Smith View Post
I can't believe you put your truck in a parade , where dirty people and kids would touch it and get close to it, Then you had things tied on the back , what if something fell and scratched the truck , How can you enjoying using a truck like they where meant to be used. I also noticed some of the paint doesn't match, And where was the guy with the trailer, to take you home if it rained . I also didn't notice the big gold chain around your neck , where you out of uniform ? Your not one of those guy that would rather drive and use the truck as a old truck , are you . Trailer queens are like trophy Wives, Real pretty to look at, But your kind of afraid to take them out and ride them hard and put them away wet . I would rather have a driver with dents and scratches , and plenty of character over any show truck. Just having some fun you enjoy your truck and that's all that counts .
This cracked me up. Betsy will never be a trailer queen. I can't afford a trailer that heavy duty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Gee, Joe. You could have been scootin' around like all of the Shriner's guys. That would have gotten their attention!
What a great day. I'm glad that you made it.
Yeah, I never saw the Shriners in the parade this year. They were having a grand old time. But so was I. There were 2,600 participants this year and around 6,000 or 7,000 onlookers. This was the 9th year of the parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It's great to see your truck out strutting her stuff. It looks like it was a great day, thanks for sharing.
The one thing nice about driving slowly is the truck doesn't bounce all over the road from every little bump or hole in the pavement. Driving to downtown to line up for the parade is an adventure. I never notice the bad condition of our streets when I'm driving my car. But Betsy will keep you awake on those same streets. If I didn't have seat belts, I'd probably bounce off the seat.

On the way home, I kept it under 30 mph just to take it easy on myself and the truck.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
This is the only other old Ford truck I saw in the parade. There may have been others, but I checked this one out in the staging area before the parade started.

It's a '49 F1. I got the pic off the Internet.

Click the image to open in full size.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Henry got it right...

I need help!

I found a local auto machine shop capable of pressing and reaming my king pin bushings. So today, I started taking the spindles off Betsy.

I got the passenger side off with a lot of pounding. I measured that pin and the bushing. The pin does not appear to be worn at all, but the bushing was over tolerance. The book says 1.131 max ID and it was easily at 1.14. Don't know if this is my problem or not, but the wheels moved noticeably when I pushed on the tire while on jacks.

Anyway, here's my problem. I can't get the drivers side to budge. Not one bit. I beat on it with a hammer, then a 3 pound sledge and can't get it to move. I heated it top and bottom with a torch, and nothing.

I'm looking for suggestions.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Take off the zerk and squirt weasel **** in there, also in the lock pin hole. Repeat hourly. Then get your BFH and wail on it. Curse, drink, wail, spray with w.p., BFH, curse.....

Do you have an air chisel? You can put a dull, broad point in it and put a lot of pressure on the bottom of the pin while squeezing the trigger.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Senior User

Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Joe I don't have much to offer here because the pins came out of mine like they'd been waiting for someone to let them out, but maybe soak the pin for a while with something like PB Blaster (possibly with repeated applications). Then go back and warm up the top and bottom parts of the spindle, then use your old passenger side pin to try to drive them up from the bottom. If it's been in water there might be a thin scale of rust on the middle part of the pin that you might need to out-power. I don't need to ask if you already removed the lock pin, right?
2004 Mercury Marauder 32v DOHC - sold in June. Don't create a screen name after a car you might sell!
1969 Marquis convertible, 429
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Take off the zerk and squirt weasel **** in there, also in the lock pin hole. Repeat hourly. Then get your BFH and wail on it. Curse, drink, wail, spray with w.p., BFH, curse.....

Do you have an air chisel? You can put a dull, broad point in it and put a lot of pressure on the bottom of the pin while squeezing the trigger.
Thanks Ross. I tried the air chisel. No luck. I did squirt it with WP, but I didn't think about pulling the zerks for that. There are two for each side on the F4. I'll go do that now. Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2004 View Post
Joe I don't have much to offer here because the pins came out of mine like they'd been waiting for someone to let them out, but maybe soak the pin for a while with something like PB Blaster (possibly with repeated applications). Then go back and warm up the top and bottom parts of the spindle, then use your old passenger side pin to try to drive them up from the bottom. If it's been in water there might be a thin scale of rust on the middle part of the pin that you might need to out-power. I don't need to ask if you already removed the lock pin, right?
Hahaha. Yes I removed the lock pin, but I'm laughing because I checked it once when I couldn't budge the pin. I'm prone to do stuff like that...

And you must have been typing while Ross was advising me to blast it.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot... or several. :-)
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
I have two axles in similar condition where I can't get the driver's side pin to come out no matter what I do. Luckily, the axles are loose so I can take them to a shop and have the pin pressed out. It's possible that the pin wore a deep groove and is now stuck. If soaking doesn't work, then you may have to pull the axle.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Are you heating the axle end or the spindle? It's stuck in the axle, so direct your heat there, both front and back sides.
If you can put a jack under the kingpin while heating it might help push it out.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Henry got it right...

Thanks guys. I'll try everything suggested tomorrow. That sucker's coming out...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Good luck, Joe. The axle from the F6 that your tie rod came from never did release either king pin. The spindles are still stuck on the axle, no matter how much I hit it with heat or air hammer. Not that I'm trying to discourage you or anything.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Joe,
You might try rotating the pin to a different orientation, either to one side or the other. If its worn enough to have a groove worn into it then it could be catching in the lip of the groove. Rotating it to one side or the other might help.
I've had similar issues with leaf spring pins and bushings.

If that doesn't work, take Ross's suggestion but add a few more drinks into the series. It won't help the kingpin but it does wonders for your attitude

Good luck
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
Are you heating the axle end or the spindle? It's stuck in the axle, so direct your heat there, both front and back sides.
If you can put a jack under the kingpin while heating it might help push it out.
Exactly what he said. Use the weight of the truck as your assist and vibrate the axle part where the pin goes through. IMO and experience, the weight is more of an assist than the heat. And forget about the spindle, it is already free.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Joe,
You might try rotating the pin to a different orientation, either to one side or the other. If its worn enough to have a groove worn into it then it could be catching in the lip of the groove. Rotating it to one side or the other might help.
I've had similar issues with leaf spring pins and bushings.

If that doesn't work, take Ross's suggestion but add a few more drinks into the series. It won't help the kingpin but it does wonders for your attitude

Good luck
Bobby
Too early to be drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Exactly what he said. Use the weight of the truck as your assist and vibrate the axle part where the pin goes through. IMO and experience, the weight is more of an assist than the heat. And forget about the spindle, it is already free.
OK fellas. I got it out. I used a combination of your suggestions. I started squirting it with "weasel ****" last night and repeated first thing this morning. I heated the axle on front and back with my torch. I used my bottle jack to push up on the pin. The head of the jack was just the right diameter. I beat on the top of the spindle with my hand sledge until the pin broke loose. Once it started moving, I could jack it up a little and tap down using the truck's weight to push the pin out. I was able to pull it out the last couple of inches with vice grips.

Thanks for all your suggestions. As always, you guys rock!

I still don't have the driver side spindle off... the spindle arm won't come loose from the drag link? The nut is off, but it will not drop. As per the instructions, I'm trying to "disconnect the drag link at the spindle arm". What am I missing? Looks like I have to disassemble the drag link to disconnect it from the spindle arm.

Would it be better to remove the spindle arm from the spindle?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Would it be better to remove the spindle arm from the spindle?
NO!

The drag link goes back to the steering box, is that what's stuck? Or is it the connecting rod between tie rod ends?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire