1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Very cool....congrats on your first drive!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Good show. A major milestone, indeed. And yes, it takes both feet and both arms to drive one of these old girls. They require a lot of action.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Joe,
It runs & Stops! Woohoo! Looks like you washed it for the video too!
What's with all the grinding of the gears? One might think you have forgotten how to drive stick after all this time.

It sounds great!

Ben in Austin

Thanks Ben. I have to relearn how to double clutch. I'm not used to non-synchronous gearing. I haven't had to do that since I drove a truck for WTC Airfreight back in the late '60s. It'll come back to me. WooHoo!

And I did wash it for the video. First time it's been washed since I got it.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tinman52
Very cool....congrats on your first drive!
Thanks Scott. I can't stop grinning. I know lots of others have waited much longer for their first drive in their truck, but this one was running when I got it. So it has been forever... 14 months... redid all the wiring and got rid of the widow makers in April. Started on the brakes in June... I'm not really fast.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
Good show. A major milestone, indeed. And yes, it takes both feet and both arms to drive one of these old girls. They require a lot of action.
Thanks Ray. There have been a lot of folks on FTE who helped me get this far, and you're one of them.

I will get the hang of driving her soon enough. Still have to make it legal... outside mirrors (at least a left one) and some minor fluid fills. But when those brakes worked right, I could hardly wait to take a short run up the street! The video is actually the second run. I went once before my wife got home to take the video. So I washed Betsy while I was waiting.

Cool thing is, there's a guy at the end of the block with a finished '50 F1 who heard me grinding my way down the street and came out to give me the thumbs up!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Here's what the primary cup looked like after I flipped half the rubber back to the correct side.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if it was because the parts were made in Mexico. But it works now, so I don't care.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Joe,

I had a grin on my face while watching the video. Your laugh and "vroom, vroom" at the end are priceless. I bet you can't wait to get the truck street legal and go for more runs around the block.

Congratulations!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Joe,

I had a grin on my face while watching the video. Your laugh and "vroom, vroom" at the end are priceless. I bet you can't wait to get the truck street legal and go for more runs around the block.

Congratulations!
Thanks Ilya. Yep, I'm still grinning. It won't be long now before I'll be driving her to the store (probably the auto parts store).

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Congrats on the first drive, Joe! I'm just glad the tie rod stayed in one piece for you. LOL!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Congrats on the first drive, Joe! I'm just glad the tie rod stayed in one piece for you. LOL!!!
Thanks Wayne. Yes she actually steers pretty well. And I'm sure most of that is because of the tie rod... he he he!

I mean, I went down the block and didn't run into anything. If I had, that bumper I got from Josh would have done the other guy more damage than to Betsy!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats Joe!! I hate to admit it but my truck makes the same grinding noises when I drive it!!

Its a big accomplishment!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Congrats Joe!! I hate to admit it but my truck makes the same grinding noises when I drive it!!

Its a big accomplishment!!!

Keep up the good work!!
Thanks Keith. I will learn to drive it again. As I told my wife tonight at our celebratory dinner of steak and lobster, I will eventually drive the truck with no grinding noises.

I have driven trucks in the past (long ago) that required double clutching, but have been driving automatics for over 40 years, so I am spoiled.

I guess I'll have to post another video when I can shift her silently.

And I ordered the outside mirrors for her today. That single little rear view mirror in the cab is pretty much worthless for backing up... probably okay for looking to see who's following you.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Joe. What a great video! Thanks for taking us along on your maiden voyage. I'm sure the grin on my face while watching was probably the same one I had a few years ago playing with my Tonka trucks in the sandbox. Driving old trucks sure is fun! I don't know if you've started the tradition of the "vroom vroom" video but I will now credit it to you. You'll see one from me one of these days for sure.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Joe! Very excited for you! Worth the wait wasn't it? Looking forward to that in-cab video!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rojak
Congrats Joe. What a great video! Thanks for taking us along on your maiden voyage. I'm sure the grin on my face while watching was probably the same one I had a few years ago playing with my Tonka trucks in the sandbox. Driving old trucks sure is fun! I don't know if you've started the tradition of the "vroom vroom" video but I will now credit it to you. You'll see one from me one of these days for sure.
Thanks Rob. I am still smiling, and it's after 1:00am! The vroom vroom came from the Through the Windshield thread, where some of the guys said I'd have to make those noises if I put up a video just sitting in the driveway (before Betsy was drivable). But sure, I'll take the credit!

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project