Possible 300 I6 supercharger setup-Planning Stage with 6Cyl Bill

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Possible 300 I6 supercharger setup-Planning Stage with 6Cyl Bill

Ok guys...I'm sick of this anemic, asthmatic lil 300...Period

Now with that being said, I have been looking into what setups are comparably close to the 300....And it seems that the Eaton Roots style Supercharger from a Mid-80's T-Bird, with the 3.8l V6 fits the bill NICELY...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
As to the Throttle Body clearance, bolt pattern, inlet shapes, etc...
The trucks utilize a 2 pc setup; The Intake Manifold side, and then the Throttle Body its' self.....

After removing the Throttle Body is removed, I see no reason I couldn't simply use a Die-Grinder, and round/enlarge the hole, etc to a larger, smoother bore.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the T-Bird setup, BBK actually sells a Throttle Body that utilizes a twin blade/inlet setup just like the truck TB....1989-1995 is the year selection for that particular item.

As they also seem to make a single inlet setup, like a MAF system, 1989-1995 year models.

65mm Single Inlet System

70mm Single Inlet System

Twin Blade/Dual Inlet System

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my plan, GIVEN that I could easily enough adapt a throttle body from the 3.8l v6, that'd simply things, and allow for easier addition of the Supercharger.

And GIVEN that I could easily adapt, and successfully add the M90 SC to the Inline 6 Intake Manifold (Utilizing a custom fabbed support brace), it looks as if there's different types of pulleys available, so I am sure I could find one to fit the factory serpentine belt system.

-Note-
Given all this goes THUS far without much of a hitch, from all the info I have gleaned, it seems as if an Idler pully may have to be adapted/added into the system.

It should look something along the lines of this, (With the T-Bird Throttle Body adapted to the 300 I6 Intake Manifold)

As for the computer, fuel pump, etc....That is where the info pretty much runs out....

But in my searches it seems that larger injectors (14lbs?) are necessary, along with an upgraded fuel pump, (Which I assume you'll need a Fuel Pressure Regulator for either a 5.0l/5.8l at this point)...

As to the computer, what's the difference in a 3.8l v6 computer, and the 300 I6 computer? aside from different values assigned for the injectors, etc...

Then if we can get to this point (Throttle body swapped and adapted from a 3.8l engine to the 4.9l, the S/C mated up, the Intercooler swapped in and adapted to fit, along with the correct pulley to mate up to the Serpentine Belt system, and the possible needed extra Idler Pulley.....

Then its down to the fuel system, which will most likely need to be a Megasquirt system, with a Wideband O2 sensor.

-Side Note-
It will need a oil line ran to the oil pan for the impellar cooling......As to how, I'm not fully sure, but it seems to be an easy thing, especially if one adapted a Oil Pressure gauge using a T fitting....Would be nice and tidy that way....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As to Pistons, Camshafts, etc....I'd assume a set of 390ci pistons will do nicely (Pins, etc are the correct size) and will allow for a higher compression ratio.....

A set of 1.7 Chrevrolet Roller Rockers will definantly be a necessity, as the Forced Induction will put a LOT more stress on the engine, therefore stress and friction will be greatly reduced utilizing the RR setup.

As to a Camshaft, a SD friendly camshaft of your choice will be fine..

Any comments, thoughts, etc is greatly appreciated.....I want this to be more of a box set type deal, that if anyone wants to know how to S/C an Inline EFI engine, its' easily found, especially needs to be a sticky...

Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 AM
jem44357
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I would like to say to you and 6Cyl Bill! I will definitely be following this thread. I have looked at all aspects of pumping up the 300 and really would love to SC my C3H8/C8H18 fueled nazTEEruck!

Jim

Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
subscribing! I got an m112 waiting to go onto my capri!

with the megasquirt you can make an adapter to plug it into your factory harness

Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Well guys, this is definantly off the beaten path....Definantly...

But as Bill an I discussed the other night on the phone, E85 Ethanol fuel is PERFECT for this; Higher octane rating (TECHNICALLY), and utilizing the alkyhol content, it'll run cooler engine/combustion temps, therefore helping curb pre-detonation....And a possible meltdown of the pistons...

As I said earlier, I'm working from text, not actual parts in front of me right....

So yeah...This thread will definantly have a long way to go, but I hope that maybe in the end, others can use a streamlined version of it, to successfully add forced induction to their 300's....

And from the numbers, a simple Roots style blower will ALONE pep these lil boogers up to approx. 225-ish hp, and arounf 340-360-islh lbs-ft of tq...

Not counting a fully P & P'ed head, aftermarket camshaft, Roller rockers, bigger bore pistons, etc.....So in all honesty, with every lil tip and trick done to a 300, plus a Roots style charger on it....300hp really isn't all THAT far away....

Oh yeah, this isn't meant for some lil ***** to go get daddy to buy all the parts, have it done then come crying back to us saying we were the cause...

Bill and I envision a 250-ish Hp engine, that is just as reliable as it were PRE S/C......I know, someone'll say that F/I reduces that lifespan....NOT TRUE, if that were the case, the FACTORY would not have used the damned things on a SMALLER ENGINE....
But the general jist of this experiment, is for RELIABLE hp, and tq...ALL THROUGH THE 300's NATURAL RPM BAND, and along with the appropriate rear gears, etc, and driving technique....I'd safely say the MPG numbers would IMPROVE....

More power, at the same rpm is the general thought process here, along with the driving habits of a 100yr old man, with eggs under the throttle pedal....THAT'S what'll prolong the lifespan of the engine....Not holding it at WOT EVERY FREAKING DAY....Although....I will admit, it'd be a pretty damned hard thing NOT to do.....Especially with the young lil ****** in mommy and daddys' new car.....

Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

these blowers also don't build any boost/make any sound until you stand on the skinny. also helping reliability! kinda like a turbo without having to wait for it to spool.

my brother has been keeping an eye out for an m90 for his Cherokee's 4.0. keeps telling me that if i don't get out of this sandbox my m112 is gonna end up on it

with my heads and cam, DD estimates my little 5.0 at over 600 with a pulley change (granted thats with a decent sized cam and aftermarket heads) and yeah its Desktop dyno, but its neat for bench racing. If you care to help me find some airflow and cam data I can post some estimates on an M90 300!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Maybe this'll help your bro out...
Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Supercharger

I'll get back to you on the flow #'s thing....Right now, reality has set in....And it says I'm gonna go mow.....lol..

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I'll get back to you on the flow #'s thing....Right now, reality has set in....And it says I'm gonna go mow.....lol..
ha, I hate it when that happens... but thanks for the link! a twin screws efficiency would be sweet,especially the liquid cooled ones. (i intend on running alcohol injection) the but i love the ribs on the eatons...

Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I'm back...Had to call it quits...
And yeah, a twin screw would give a LOT more power per lb of boost..BUT, they're freakin insane to buy....

So yeah, again, this is more or less based on a M90....Simple, and reliable...And readily available...

Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I was telling Wes last night, the 300 is SO CLOSE to being the perfect truck engine. A super (or even a turbo, really) would send it over the age as being the perfect truck engine in my opinion.

A little smarts, some fab skills.. and I don't see why the 300 can't be fitted with this super, making it the perfect gasoline fed truck engine.

220 horse, 350 ft lbs right off idle. This would be making more power than the initial diesels.

It's been done. Videos are on YouTube. The 300 is held back.. but the potential is there to increase the power output by twice and barely touch the fuel mileage and still be realiable.

Ford should have equiped the 300 with a turbo right off the bat - just like the Eco Boost.

The Eco Boost is a 200 cubic inch truck engine. The 300 is a better balanced (inline form) truck engine and a hundred inches larger.

I just hate to see all these 300's going by the wayside. I'm tired of hearing "Put a V8 in it!"

I think a 300 making enough low end torque to match an older diesel - and still pass on the highway with ease - would be so cool if we could make it reaiable and still fuel concious.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure would be nice if someone made an affordable crossflow head for it to.
So why a Super and not a Turbo?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by kedwinh
Sure would be nice if someone made an affordable crossflow head for it to.
So why a Super and not a Turbo?
Tehnically, you can have 3 351 C heads cut, and furnace brazed back together....You'll be needing the centers of them....After all is said and done, if the cuts were correct, etc...It'll literally bolt right on....VOILA!

Better flowing head....That or ship an Aussie CF head over here...Either one is gonna be expensive....Around $1-3k easy.....

As to why the S/C instead of a T/C....Well...TECHNICALLY they are the exact same thing, save for one difference..

-Supercharger-Belt driven Impellar-Idle+ power band

-Turbocharger-Exhaust gas driven Impellar-Has to spool up before power can be made....

Both work in the EXACT same way; Compacting air into a more dense area....Which the act in its' self creates heat from the friction of the Oxygen molecules compacting and rubbing one another.....Hence the need for a Intercooler.....Otherwise, you'd be pumping EXTREMELY hot air into the engine....

And as we all know, thats a no-no...Otherwise a perfect situation to have Pre-Detonation rip the thing apart and melt the pistons to the block.....

And given a lower 3.55/3.73 gear, the S/C makes its power in the same RPM band that the 300 does....Idle-Up.....

So it's MECHANICALLY better suited.....

Either way, with either system, you'll need the Megasquirt system to regulate the fuel flow, and to be able to custom tune the injectors, etc so Pre-detonation isn't an issue....

Also, either way...A 300 I6 in all factory dressings can only hold about 8 psi of boost before the head gasket becomes confetti....

So that lends to the idea of making a metal head gasket...Which will allow higher boost levels (More power) and higher compression ratio's without having to worry about popping one everytime you mash the skinny pedal...

Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just another source of info for you is fordsix.com if you haven't already been there. I don't believe there is anything they haven't tried. Whole section on forced induction.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're going to run Megasquirt anyway just ditch the stock intake, get a Clifford or Offy C plumbed with injector bungs to match the stock fuel rail, and use a 1,000 cfm 4-bbl throttle body/blowthrough hat with a Paxton blower. Plenty of room right above the alternator once you lose the smog pump...

I love these farcical exotic build threads.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Whats so exotic? Making a 4.9l I6 S/C?

If thats exotic, then the 3.8L v6 it comes off of must be ferrari-ish sexy....

And this is for a EFI engine, not a carb.....

This is the jist of my idea for placement...
Supercharged Ford 300 Inline 6 - YouTube

And although this is a carbed truck, still the jit of how it'll run...
supercharged ford 300-6 cylinder part # 2 - YouTube
Ford F100 Blown Straight Six Burnout - YouTube

Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well considering how many 300 I6 engines have been sold and how many supercharged 300 I6 engines I've seen (on-line, never in person...) that 2,000,000:1 ratio strikes me as pretty exotic.

What I was saying is if you're going to do it to use an aftermarket intake machined for injector bungs and a 4-bbl throttle body with a blow through hat. When (if?) I ever decide to play with Megasquirt I've got an old Holley Pro-Jection throttle body to use. No worries to lose the injector pod and then it's plug and play with the TPS, IAC, etc. connections.

The discharge on that blower is on the top? In that top video the plumbing from the top of the blower is going to the TB, right? A 4-bbl TB and hat would be a much easier plumbing job than adapting that thing to the stock intake.

And think about the Paxton blower. The factory A/C mounting bracket could probably be cut to mount one. My $0.02.

Quick Reply: Possible 300 I6 supercharger setup-Planning Stage with 6Cyl Bill