Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
perryg114
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like none were wearing seat belts if all 5 of them were ejected from the vehicle.

Perry

Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Terrible... My brother's family rolled their Ex on the PA turnpike last month when they lost control of their TT. In their case, fortunately, a miracle occurred and all 6 passengers were ok. Five of them were discharged the same night, and the other a few days later. In their case, the only ones wearing their seat belts were the driver (who ended up trapped in the vehicle) and my son, who walked away with a tiny cut and a bloody nose. Two of them were thrown from the vehicle... Needless to say, they all now wear their seat belts. Too bad it took this for it to happen.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
jesus! i dont get WHY anyone would not wear there seatbelts! we have had a rash of deadly accidents in alaska where the people died. in all the cases the seat belts could have saved my life.

i know in my head on crash with my old excursion my seat belt saved me from alot worse injurys!

i and all my passengers allways wear there seatbelts. if they refuse they can walk.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by perryg114
Sounds like none were wearing seat belts if all 5 of them were ejected from the vehicle.

Perry
If you google it you can find a crash test video of an Excursion rollover with all occupants not wearing belts...I believe there were 7 dummies in the truck, all but one were ejected.

I have a few friends that like to object to any law around, and like to use the 'seat belts kill you by pinning you in' argument. I tell them this story...

I had a belt on driving an Geo Tracker into a herd of cattle (long story). I was ejected (seat belt internal plastics were cracked). My ejection left me with 12 broken bones, a skull fracture and a collapsed lung. Even though the driver side A pillar of the Tracker was flattened (meaning had I stayed in the truck I could have been killed)...I still wear my belt.

I figure the odds of being pinned inside and the number of people "killed" by belts are nowhere near the amount of lives saved by them. If it's your time, it's your time, but why use the 1% to justify ignoring the 99%?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This accident is exactly why I caution people here about driving fast in an Excursion. They're not stable at high speed. Once you do lose control, here's what happens.......

‪1998 Ford Expedition Sled-Rollover Crash Test‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
This accident is exactly why I caution people here about driving fast in an Excursion. They're not stable at high speed. Once you do lose control, here's what happens.......

That was the video I saw...thought it was an Excursion, but the same ejection priniciples apply.

You can't fight physics...centrifugal force will win every time.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
That's a scary vid, Sheriff. That is similar to what happened to my brother's Ex. Here is an overhead view of how theirs ended up.

‪Turnpike Crash Slows Holiday Weekend Traffic‬‏ - YouTube

And a couple of the pics afterwards (top was flattened more due to the jaws of life):

Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok.....now I want a full roll cage front to rear and 5 point harnesses for everyone !

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoncw
That's a scary vid, Sheriff. That is similar to what happened to my brother's Ex. Here is an overhead view of how theirs ended up.

‪Turnpike Crash Slows Holiday Weekend Traffic‬‏ - YouTube

And a couple of the pics afterwards (top was flattened more due to the jaws of life):
Did your brother and family fair OK? What was their opinion of the crash survivability of the Excursion.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Only time I ever wear my seatbelt is when I am at the track or I get pulled over and told to put it on. Sure I may get ejected if ever the time comes that I roll a vehicle but I still would rather not wear it. I am a very competent driver, I don't talk on a phone while driving, put on makeup, change clothes, or anything like that. I pay attention to where my vehicle is going, what is ahead of me, what everyone around me is doing, and what the vehicles on the cross roads are doing. If something is going to happen to me it is going to be because of another driver, not my driving. Even then it will take quite a bit of luck for the other driver to get to me. I have been in 3 accidents in my life, every one of them was me getting hit from behind and I saw every one of them coming and knew what was going to happen.

If everyone took driving as serious as holding a gun and actually payed attention I bet more then half of all accidents would be avoided.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Only time I ever wear my seatbelt is when I am at the track or I get pulled over and told to put it on. Sure I may get ejected if ever the time comes that I roll a vehicle but I still would rather not wear it. I am a very competent driver, I don't talk on a phone while driving, put on makeup, change clothes, or anything like that. I pay attention to where my vehicle is going, what is ahead of me, what everyone around me is doing, and what the vehicles on the cross roads are doing. If something is going to happen to me it is going to be because of another driver, not my driving. Even then it will take quite a bit of luck for the other driver to get to me. I have been in 3 accidents in my life, every one of them was me getting hit from behind and I saw every one of them coming and knew what was going to happen.

If everyone took driving as serious as holding a gun and actually payed attention I bet more then half of all accidents would be avoided.
Problem is it's the ones you dont see coming that will kill you. I got clipped in the rear of my car by a guy running a red light. If I went throught that intersection a 10th of a second later I would have been a lot worse off. Seatbelts are like insurance, you hate to pay it every month, but your glad you did when you need it.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by VaSheriff

None of the dummies in that video were wearing their seatbelt. Yeah had they been wearing it, they would have been thrown around, and been bruised; but they would have survived the rollover and not been ejected from the vehicle.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
jasoncw
Tuned
Originally Posted by jasonodsky
Did your brother and family fair OK? What was their opinion of the crash survivability of the Excursion.
Yes, they did (see earlier post in this thread). The only one with serious injuries was one of his daughters. She had a couple pelvis and skull fractures, and yes, she was one of them that was not wearing her seat belt. I think they thanked God more than the Excursion's safety that day.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

...the 1%...

Quick Reply: Tragic Excursion accident