1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - Big Changes on the Horizon AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
OT - Big Changes on the Horizon AGAIN!

I've been lurking daily, but I really haven't posted much for the last 8 or 9 months. I haven't felt like doing a whole lot of anything really. I've been working for my company for 5 1/2 years now. I didn't realize it when I took the job, but it is a dying industry and they've really taken it on the chin in this economy. In the last 2 1/2 years, I've survived 5 rounds of layoffs, taken 4 weeks of unpaid furlough, and had my pay frozen twice. They're already looking at another round of layoffs in December, more furloughs in the first quarter, and wage reductions after that if the economy is still floundering. All this while our CEO has been pulling down record 7-figure bonuses for all the money he has "saved" the company.

All this doom, gloom, and uncertainty has really sucked the life out of me. I've got a wife, 3 kids, 2 car payments, and a mortgage to worry about. It's affected my general attitude and my marriage and friendships have started to suffer as a result. As much as I HATE changing jobs, it was time to do something about this before I found myself unemployed or it ended up costing me a wife and family. With so many others completely unemployed, I'm nervous about making a change and dealing with all the risk and newness that comes with it, but sometimes it's just worth it.

I blasted off a series of resumes early last week and got a call within two days from a small local plant just up the street from where I'm at. It is the only US site in a much larger european company. They are an automotive supplier and their business is booming - so much so that they are expanding the plant and adding new equipment and employees. I interviewed with them on Thursday last week and the supervisor called this morning and offered me the job. It's a little less money to start, but their pay scale is much better overall than where I'm at and they also offer a lot more opportunities for growth and advancement. I won't have to worry anymore about still having a job in 6 months, either.

So other than just needing to vent my excitement, I'm really hoping that this new gig will snap me out of my funk and get me back into living, loving, and enjoying life again so I can get back to posting here and enjoying my hobby. It's funny how unhappiness with your job can have such a profound effect on the rest of your life. Thanks for listening and keep truckin!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Its weird reading this,
My wife lost here job three weeks ago...unexpectedly...she just got a new job thats better for her and us. a little more money better hours.

We live from paycheck to paycheck, barely make it, no vacation in 3 yrs. and it DOES take its toll...my truck project has been sitting all summer with very little progress...I started to take a "happy pill" to maybe help me.(yes it's a prescription!) I feel for ya and have had a similar lifestyle in the last few months.

Hang in there BlueOvalRage, and good luck with the new job!

My wife doesn't understand why I feel so much pressure over financial issues. I don't understand how she can just keep goin like theres nothing to worry about...!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Good for you, BOR, you don't want to be the last one out the door!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wondered where you've been. Good luck on the new job! I am, however, worried about your scary new avitar.

Dan

Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the wife some flowers, the kids an ice cream cone and tell them thank you for hanging in there with you.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Blue, nice post, thank you for sharing.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like 4tl8ford says...
Buy flowers for the wife but also take her out for Sushi or something fancy like that... As for the kids, BR31 is always a great place to visit, especially in this heat!
Congratulations on your new endeavors1
Paul

Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
with all the gloom out there it is great to hear good news !! congrat's on the new job..an auto supply company you say,,how long befor we can order through you..and what kinda parts can you supply ?? I really need to paint my truck soon ...the rust is winning...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
My wife doesn't understand why I feel so much pressure over financial issues. I don't understand how she can just keep goin like theres nothing to worry about...!
Amen brother. Men and women are wired differently I guess.

BlueOvalRage glad to hear you found a more secure job.
Financial and Job worries can really bog you down and effect everything else around you.

Good luck with the new job.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, I’d like to say I am truly happy for you. It’s great to hear that there still are Americans who earnestly want to contribute, can tighten their belt, show initiative and perseverance, and don’t feel they are entitled to free government handouts indefinitely.

For many years at work my mind would wander as I thought about the day I would retire and the “life of Riley” that awaits me. I saved, lived modestly, and am proud to say I never asked or received anything from the government.

Now I’m there but the road ahead is filled with new challenges. Your health becomes your number one priority. Next, because you are on a fixed income, your ability to absorb risk, makes financial decisions even more difficult. The stock market crash of recent events can put a major dent in your nest egg and you don’t have too many remaining to recuperate. My computer skills have eroded and I don’t think I would make a good Wal-Mart greeter.

But you can’t take it with so you make adjustments and plod another course. Then you get busy living again; the reverse will occur outside of your control.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Good for you!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
BOR,
I'm glad you took the time to "vent". I've been in a similar funk all year as well. While my industry isn't going away there's been several changes to my company.
My boss retired at the end of last year, he had been grooming me to take his position. The new year rolled around and nothing was said, I stepped in and kept thing moving along. I've successfully brought my department through 3 major audits without getting gigged at all, Ive kept the workflow moving along, kept the personnel in my department moving along and happy, paid the bills, dealt with the contractors etc. Months went by with constant putting me off by the powers that be upstairs. The company's CEO was retiring and I think they were waiting for the new CEO to make some kind of decision.
Then one day I find out that they advertised for the position in the newspaper. I was pissed, I went upstairs and let them know I was pissed. I asked them -what the heck, if nothing better comes along then you might consider me? (I was very tactful though) but I wanted them to know I was really mad.
That was several months ago. Finally, last month, they let me interview for the job that I am doing. Still no word yet, but, oh yea, you're doing a great job, keep it up, we appreciate it, we might know something by the end of the month.

I'm getting tired of the rumors around the place, tired of worrying if I'll get passed over, tired of stressing about it. I've been alternately resigned, grumpy, depressed, irate, etc. I too am wondering if its time to change jobs and/or industries. I'm ready for it to be over, its affected work, home, family, and hobbies.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm glad your situation has turned around for you. Show your family how much you appreciate them hanging in there.

Good luck with being the "new guy"
Bobby

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Bobby, about 3 years ago, our CEO and manufacturing manager were leaving to start a different company. Our machine shop supervisor has been there since day one. We all petitioned to have him become the new manufacturing manager. But, instead, they hired a guy from our direct competitor. Talk about a kick in the shorts.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Yup.

I guess if they bring someone new in over me I'll get real forgetful real fast...and start looking for other work

ugh

Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
it is the same here ..BC hired an american(sorry but we have 30 million to chose from in canada) and he had our equipment (Ferry's) built in germany...what idiots are we electing that do this on so many levels..but then you pay your president 150,000 a year ..and a football player 2 million..I'm gonna go pick at the rust in my truck ...

Quick Reply: OT - Big Changes on the Horizon AGAIN!