N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

New guy to FTE with new (to me) truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New guy to FTE with new (to me) truck

Just a few words to say Hi and introduce myself.

My name is Darrell, I'm 43 and if you haven't guessed it from my log-on I'm in Ceres ( between Modesto and Turlock). I've been a Ford owner my whole life, mostly full size Broncos. I just built a 66 Thunderbird Town Hardtop with a 428 for my wife so I had a green light to get me a new truck.
I picked up a real clean 99 F250 Super Duty, Super Cab, V10, 4X4. I had been looking around for a truck for a while just nothing that I wanted in my price range until I found this one. And I'm truly in love with this truck.
Its got 253K on it but whoever had it before me took really good care of it.

I'm an Industrial Electrical Technician. I do electrical system integration and upgrades on manufacturing equipment in the cannery business. I design the new systems, write the programs, and install them in the machines and production lines. In my previous life I was a European Automotive Mechanic working on fuel injection and ignition systems before I went back to school.

Presently I'm working on fixing my truck up for a trip through Yellowstone to Wisconsin to visit my mom next month and of course personalize it a little. I've been a member of the fordfe forum for a while. I know and appreciate all of the knowledge as well as the been there done that from those that are here and am looking forward to the information and hopefully I can add a thing or two.

Right now my projects are adding a transmission cooler and temp gauge and finishing up all services so I know where everything is. Installing my radios (UHF on GMRS and CB). Adding more light to the front (ordered a set of Hella driving lights to put in the grill). And I need a set of Nerf Bars for the wife so she can get up into this rig. I installed 285/75R16 BFG A/T KO which on the stock leaf springs sure make it sit nice. The wife almost has to jump to get in so I told her I'd get a set. Been keeping my eyes open for a nice used set. I found a V10 transmission cooler at one of the loal wreckers out of a newer superduty. $40.00 well spent. I also have a 5-star tuner coming this week. I'm looking forward to waking up this V10.

My hobby is Gold Dredging. I have a couple of claims up on Northfork Merced. This is the real reason for getting the truck. Can't mine in Cali now so I'm going to have to load up my equipment and go to Oregon or somewhere to dredge.

I can't post any pictures right now, I'm at work, but I have posted some in the super duty show off your truck tread but will try and post some over here tonight.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did u get ur truck in clovis i rember i saw one on cl with 253k i wouldnt go to crazy with the mods 99 v10 had 2 vavule heads u want power swap out ur heads the v10 can be picky about what spark plugs u us trq the plugs to 15 foot pounds or u risks striping out the alluim heads

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
San Leandro, Bay City Motors.

I don't plan on doing any major mods any time soon. The 5-star I feel actually helps the motor. It came with a K&N filter already. I'm going to have my grill off installing trans cooler and driving lights this weekend I'll probably do the zoodad "?" while I got it out. Who the hell came up with that for a fresh air hole. And if I have time I'll tape off the grill and black it out. No headers or anything like that for now. Now when I rebuild the motor No but really we are in California and this truck is pretty nice aleardy.

Thanks for the heads up on the plugs. I had heard about that before I bought it. I think this truck was fleet serviced during it's life. You know how they stick a label on the instrument cluster with the service mileage on it, well someone pealed one of but didn't clean it off. And it's real clean underneath lots of new front steering and suspension parts. Front end is real nice and tight. I'm pretty sure transmission has been R&R'd. Well taken care of. I'd like to find out who owned to see if I could locate the service records.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
yea if u take care of them the v10 is a good motor but gets bad mpg hope u have a second job to feed it lol i love my 6.9 i live in the frenso area so ur not to far form me

Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
MPG

Not much different then my bronco was unloaded. I took the family up to Yosemite and got about 12.5MPG. And I had taken it out of OD for most of the trip up the hill so it didn't keep downshifting until I can get the cooler on and get it flushed. I did a partial change and a filter. I don't own a big trailer so I don't plan on hualing anything heavier then my 800 Sportsman X2 and my Dredge equipment.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
i feel u i have a 93 bronco 5.8 e4od it avgs 10 mpg lol y cant u mine in cali any more

Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
I traded in a 93 5.0 E4OD Bronco on this truck. I got about 850.00 for it. Not bad considering the condition. 188K, water pump leaking, mismatched front and rear tires, needed tires,plug in the spare, plastic dash parts breaking, needed complete front brake job, seats shot, and for the last year or so I just neglected it. I had an older one (87) I liked much better but I wrecked it in the back country.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
yea i like my bronco im gona lift it someday and swap in a diesel when i get the time and money

Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Big welcome.
Those V10s sound great with the right pipes. I wouldnt feel so bad about that mpg. My 6 cyl gets at BEST of 13.2 mpg.
Last I remember, there's some decent mining up past Quartzville in OR, not far from where I grew up. There's also some good fishing at Green Peter reservoir. There used to be some great 4 wheelin up in the logging roads above Green Pete, but those are all closed down now.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE, and welcome to Northern Cal Chapter!
Sounds like a nice truck you found. The V10 is a good engine. Lots of torque.
See ya on the boards, Tim

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Thanks Dale & Tim for the welcome.
I could imaging what a good sounding set of pipe would sound like on this V10. And I'm not worried about the mileage on it. After all I knew what I was buying. If I wanted good mileage I'd bought an F150. I wanted a cruiser and a hauler. In this truck I got both.

Quartzville isn't that up by Sweet Home north of Eugene? I've been doing some research trying to make a plan. I'm going to have to make a trip just to figure out the area before I haul my equipment up. Hopefully next year. Although we may be able to mine sooner then they think in California. There are some federal regulations that supersede the state and so the forestry and BLM may not be able to enforce the state moratorium being they are federal entities. It's going to end up in federal court if they do which is where we want it.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes indeed, the thriving metropolis of Sweet Home.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Welcome aboard! Good luck with the new rig!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Thanks Pete

I guess here you can't just put n/m in the subject line and nothing more in the message.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
u gona lift it or keep it stock

Quick Reply: New guy to FTE with new (to me) truck