Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like i'm getting a F250 with a 460

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad meaning what? Its just a little wet on the plug I didnt take that as really bad, more or less just wore out I thought.

I didnt do the other 7 I didnt have time. I will do it , take pictures and post this weekend. I finally have a full day to myself saturday.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 AM
redmondjp
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ArrizX
Bad meaning what? Its just a little wet on the plug I didnt take that as really bad, more or less just wore out I thought.

I didnt do the other 7 I didnt have time. I will do it , take pictures and post this weekend. I finally have a full day to myself saturday.
Well I was just going off of what you said, I wrongly assumed that you had checked them all and just that one plug was wet (with gas? Oil? Coolant?).

Let us know what all of the readings are. Either disconnect the coil primary side (the low-voltage side) or use a jumper wire to ground the center wire (pull off at dist cap and short to ground using the jumper). Block open the throttle. You may want to have a battery charger hooked up the whole time to keep the battery from running down.

Oh, if you have fuel injection you will want to disable the injection so you are not washing down the cylinders with gasoline while you do the test. This is easily accomplished by disconnecting the fuel pump relay, or just leave the ignition switch off altogether and use a remote starter switch connected to your starter solenoid.

You can do a dry check first and then a wet check, for which you use an oil can with a flexible spout (or use a piece of vacuum hose on the nozzle of the oil can) to squirt a couple pumps of oil into the cylinder to better seal the rings. The difference between dry and wet readings will help determine how worn out your rings are.

It's the differences between the cylinders which is more important than the number that you come up with, so report all 16 numbers back here (8 dry, 8 wet) and we'll talk some more.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by redmondjp
Well I was just going off of what you said, I wrongly assumed that you had checked them all and just that one plug was wet (with gas? Oil? Coolant?).

Let us know what all of the readings are. Either disconnect the coil primary side (the low-voltage side) or use a jumper wire to ground the center wire (pull off at dist cap and short to ground using the jumper). Block open the throttle. You may want to have a battery charger hooked up the whole time to keep the battery from running down.

Oh, if you have fuel injection you will want to disable the injection so you are not washing down the cylinders with gasoline while you do the test. This is easily accomplished by disconnecting the fuel pump relay, or just leave the ignition switch off altogether and use a remote starter switch connected to your starter solenoid.

You can do a dry check first and then a wet check, for which you use an oil can with a flexible spout (or use a piece of vacuum hose on the nozzle of the oil can) to squirt a couple pumps of oil into the cylinder to better seal the rings. The difference between dry and wet readings will help determine how worn out your rings are.

It's the differences between the cylinders which is more important than the number that you come up with, so report all 16 numbers back here (8 dry, 8 wet) and we'll talk some more.

Interesting. This is the first I have heard of that wet test. Good idea about undoing the fuel pump, I wouldnt have done that

Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Well I havent been on top of this truck. Instead I have been shopping for a new one, but decided not to buy so here I am back to fixing this one! If I bought a newer Superduty then it would put a hamper on my 4 wheeling trips and I cant have that

Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
lupin398
Senior User
In all honesty, if you don't like Autolites, then put in some Motorcraft copper cores, these engines tend to like what they were designed to use.

That and the fact if there is a problem, that iridium or platinum plug won't melt down like a copper core will, and that's what you want rather than engine damage especially if you're getting her back on her feet

Also, with that spray-pattern and placement, I'd double-check to see if it wasn't your power steering, nasty little gremlin machine that it is loves to spray fluid EVERYWHERE out of the pinhole vent in the cap.

Other'n that I also agree that a PCV valve is in order, plus the fact it's dirt cheap; While you're picking up that PCV valve ask for a can of Seafoam and follow the directions on the back if anything will clean'er up and help it run better, that will.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by lupin398
In all honesty, if you don't like Autolites, then put in some Motorcraft copper cores, these engines tend to like what they were designed to use.

That and the fact if there is a problem, that iridium or platinum plug won't melt down like a copper core will, and that's what you want rather than engine damage especially if you're getting her back on her feet

Also, with that spray-pattern and placement, I'd double-check to see if it wasn't your power steering, nasty little gremlin machine that it is loves to spray fluid EVERYWHERE out of the pinhole vent in the cap.

Other'n that I also agree that a PCV valve is in order, plus the fact it's dirt cheap; While you're picking up that PCV valve ask for a can of Seafoam and follow the directions on the back if anything will clean'er up and help it run better, that will.
Thanks for all the into. Good advice on the spark plugs, I wish I knew that before I bought them. Ill buy new ones eventually but they all fire so thats what matters for now lol...

I will re check the power steering but I have a mechanical friend coming over that is going to fix the truck for me. He said its probably the intake gasket. Im not sure how/why but its what he thinks. So I gave him 300 bux and lets see what happens. Ill take the risk because thats still cheaper than one payment on the truck I was looking at buying