1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Old Mans 55

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Very solid truck! If the Y-block just needs some cleaning and sprucing up, it would be just fine. Curious how the fan doesn't line up with the shroud at all??
Hi I believe that the water pump is probably for a car or a 56 pu. 55's had a water pump set up for a high mount fan. 56 pu's and cars had the fan on the water pump. The larger trucks all had high mount fans. To the best of my knowledge anyway. I firmly believe in having a full shroud on these trucks if kept original,very important for good cooling. I would either find a shroud off a 56 or change back to a high mount fan and the proper shroud if keeping with the 272.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytasch
Great looking project base.

IMO, keep the Y block. Just something about the sound of a solid lifter engine.

"did what looks like back yard mechanics version of dual exhaust on the funky y-block headers."

That header pipe was available as an aftermarket kit back when.
Hi again. I to have a spot in my heat for the Y-blocks, sweet sounding engines. That looks like a great solid truck to keep as original as possible but I can also agree with having more modern power and better brakes. As they say - different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM
CB77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I know I should be more interested in the 55 f100 but would like to see some more pics of your Lincoln, what year is it?
I'll throw more up, but I hope it doesn't upset the masses.

It's a 1964 and being that it's my project and my projects have a way of turning into garage ornaments. I have a rule that it can't be out of commission for more than a month when I do work on it.

I've done the following to it. Rebuilt engine, rebuilt front end with disc brake conversion, interior is 95% done just need to redo the dash and steering wheel, trans is rebuilt. The guy before me painted it flat black which I plan to leave but I'm going to have it repainted soon to fix his "friday afternoon with a 12 pack in him job". Paint and chrome is next.
After that the stereo needs to be taken care of and I'm going to put it on air bags. I don't really want to lower it much more just be able to drop it when I park it. I'm leaving the bags for last because I don't want to loose the ride quality and I hope I can valve some custom shocks properly to maintain it's smooth ride.

Here are the pics you requested.
These are shots of the engine I rebuilt this year. I'm not one for chrome so it's mostly powder coated and simple add on's. The black is wrinkle finish powder coat, the grey and black is a crackle powder coat and the grey is called black chrome
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jason/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.png[/IMG]
I took trunk eblems and had them powder coated black chrome and put them on the valve covers.

Lots of stainless allen head bolts too. I like simple and clean, not a huge fan of chrome. Except where needed like wheels.

Oh and this is what I started with.

This is out of order but this was the front end I did this last year.

Same powder coat on the lower arms I used on the engine.

One more shot of it together.

Ok anther shot

The interior was last year as well. Sorry I don't have better shots I need to get busy with my camera and take some proper ones.
[IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/Jfed77/Lincoln
/whatever379.jpg[/IMG]
Still need to paint the inside of the emblems.

Had the kids seats redone with their names in them.

Had the head liner done in swede.

Better shot of the kids seat.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
CB77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by old ugly
Hi I believe that the water pump is probably for a car or a 56 pu. 55's had a water pump set up for a high mount fan. 56 pu's and cars had the fan on the water pump. The larger trucks all had high mount fans. To the best of my knowledge anyway. I firmly believe in having a full shroud on these trucks if kept original,very important for good cooling. I would either find a shroud off a 56 or change back to a high mount fan and the proper shroud if keeping with the 272.
Originally Posted by old ugly
Hi again. I to have a spot in my heat for the Y-blocks, sweet sounding engines. That looks like a great solid truck to keep as original as possible but I can also agree with having more modern power and better brakes. As they say - different strokes for different folks.
This is good info, please keep it coming. I don't know much about these trucks and I'm trying to learn quick. The original plan was to keep the Y-block but after doing some digging I think I can swap out to the 302 and 4spd aod for cheaper than a rebuild on this engine. Plus it will give the owner a little more options down the road.

I should begin the tear down later today or tomorrow on the front end. Stay tunned for more pics.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Nice transformation to the engine bay and really nice touch with the childrens seats. I'm not used to seeing these Lincoln's in flat black, yours look really cool. Makes me want one. I really don't think anyone will mind you posting pics of it either so feel free to show more when they're available.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
great pics and looks like you have a fun project ahead of you. Welcome to the forum

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
CB77
Freshman User
Started the tear down yesterday.

Fenders coming off you can see the original color was a teal.

Gotta love SoCal trucks and their lack of rust. Just surface at this point.

Hmmm push pull steering, good to know. I was curious what it had on it. Reminds me of the old 79-85 toyota 4x4 steering systems.

I'm going to buy stainless allen bolts to replace most of these but it's good to know how many to buy so I package them all up so I know how many and where they go.

Nothing my pressure washer wont eat away.

Some stuff is going to go up on the shelf till were ready to sand the body panels and some stuff is going to powder coating. I think I will leave the V8 symbol chrome and the center section but simi gloss the rest of it, or maybe wrinkle finish, we will see.

Oh and looky here this purtty little thing showed up

Gotta admit your guys truck shopping drives me crazy, I could build this whole thing out of a catolog and not even beak a sweat!

For my Lincoln everything is so custom. Just to get a booster in my car I had to find one from a latter model out of a junk yard half way across the country. Pay to have it ship to me. Then I had to find the one guy in the country that actually knows the Lincoln and what the proper length shaft to put in it so it fits my car. Ship it to him to have it rebuilt.
Then ship it back to me, then I had to source the rest of the parts from the parts store, make custom brake lines, get a brake portioning valve (still haven't done that actually) then hope it all fits. You don't want to know how much all that cost.

To add disc brakes I did much of the same thing, plus rebuilt the front end with bushings, ball joints and tie rods. Just for the bushings, ball joints and tie rods for the front end I was 500.00 deep in it. The replacement disc brakes for my car run about 150.00 for each side too.

The F100 is so nice to have the aftermarket support, I simply go online and push (add to cart) and I'm done?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
CB77
Freshman User
Ok been gone a while, the heat has kept my lazy Ar$$ out of the shop. But making some progress again.

Engine is out.

One 1955 misc mess of a engine and 3 speed.

BTW for sale. MAKE ME AN OFFER

Oh and a friend talked me into going the extra half mile and doing a fuel injected 5.0 donor engine is from a lincoln.

Any input on doing fuel injection please pipe up, a friend of our shop has done a lot of the research for swapping in a fuel injected and it seems pretty straight forward. But would be interested in seeing any ones input on this.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
CB77
Freshman User
Oh and the goodies keep rolling in.

EZ wire harness.

PDL Disc brake kit, sorry I'm too lazy to take the parts out for a picture.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
CB77
Freshman User
Ok made a little more progress today, pulled the truck outside to pressure wash off 50 plus years of grime. Got the 5.0 cleaned up too removing all the extra stuff I won't be using.

Obviously that cross member needs cut so out came the plasma.

That's more like it.

Not sure on the height yet. (any input is welcome)

Steering box is really close, I wanted to run headers but not even sure I can if the box is going to be this close.

I'm also having second thoughts on the fuel injection, anyone want to offer their two cents I'm all ears. I like the idea of the EFI for fuel economy and the other benefits that come with it. But aesthetically speaking I think the old carb and clean manifold look better. Any opinions on this? It's not too late to get a carb, intake and distributor.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM
awsumdc
New User
So..... guess my surprise as I register for this forum, go on to it, get into this section, and then the very first thread I start to read has my truck in it. At first I was like, "hey, how did they get a picture of my Toyota on this forum???" Then I started reading and found out it was you. LOL

Originally Posted by CB77
I'm new to this forum and to F100's just thought I would post up my project and my plans for it. Feel free to comment on the plans and let me know if there is a better more efficient way of doing things.

A little back ground: This is my Good friends 55f100. It's been sitting un-moved at the back of this driveway in Whittier for at least 25 years. My friend Ron use to take me fishing when I was a kid and in-between our fishing trips we would hang out here at his parents house. This was his dads truck, I use to sit in the front seat and pretend to drive it when I was a kid. I even tried to surprise him one time with wash and wax job and learned that you were supposed to whip the wax off after waxing a car. His dad was confined to a bed most of the time that I knew him but we would spend hours talking about his truck and life. I guess he had restored it him self in the mid to late 70's but was unable to drive it due to his illnesses. He passed away in the early 90's and left the truck to his son where it sat un-touched till a few weeks ago when Ron called me and asked me if I would help restore it to a running driving condition. Ron has a limited budget but I accepted the offer given the sentimental value it holds for me, Ron also said the truck would go to me someday.

A little back ground on me. I started my own Off-Road company in 2001. We specialize in Toyota trucks and SUV's we have our own product line and build some cool off road trucks and Suv's from time to time. So this is not the first time I've turned a wrench on a project. Demello Offroad
This is one of custom solid axle trucks we built in early 05.

Being that I've had a steady diet of Off-Road trucks and SUV's for years when it came time to pick out my own classic car I went big low and slow. This is my family weekend car.

Back to the project at hand. When I got the truck back to my shot I took a number of pictures to document what I had to start with.

The body is pretty straight with years of drive way dirt that needs sanded off. The trucks original color was teal but was painted a dark red almost maroon sometime in the 70's.

Given the limited budget and scoop of this project, we may just be adding new door panels to the interior and maybe powder coat and spray paint parts of the dash to clean it up. The bench is with out tears and the headliner could be fixed fairly easy I believe.

Everything appears to be here, if you see something I don't please let me know.

The engine is original as far as I can tell. I believe he had it rebuilt at the time of the last rebuild and did what looks like back yard mechanics version of dual exhaust on the funky y-block headers.

The original plan was to try to get this engine running, do a carb rebuild and maybe a valve job if the bottom end sounded good. But after buying a rebuilt starter (for sale now) and trying to get this engine to turn over I believe something is broken eternally, the crank will spin and the starter will spin out side the truck but when we put it in we can't get it to engage. After doing some more research it seems that a 302 with AOD swap would not only be cheaper but more reliable and offer more options down the road so were going to pull this engine and go that route. (open to suggestions here)

I have already ordered the disc brake conversion booster swap out from this company.
Brake Parts for Classic cars and trucks
I hope that kit is pretty good, it was one of the better priced kits I found on line.

For the engine, I have been searching the criagslist adds waiting for a good running engine and trans to come up.

For engine management and controls i was going to do a painless wiring kit from Painless wiring.

Paint I believe were going to go with a dark metallic grey and powder coat most of the emblems on the truck gloss black leaving just the center part of the grill chrome and the bumpers.

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome, as I said this is my first f100 it seems pretty easy to work on compared to my Lincoln.

Thanks ahead for any help you can provide.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM
awsumdc
New User
Jason, since your going to go with an IFS front, you'll ditch that steering box anyway. You'll have a rack and pinion of some kind. Probably of the Mustang II type.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM
CB77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by awsumdc
Jason, since your going to go with an IFS front, you'll ditch that steering box anyway. You'll have a rack and pinion of some kind. Probably of the Mustang II type.
On yours Wyatt were going with the IFS, this one is staying old school with the solid axle. It's too costly a mod for this build. Plus I like the idea of the beam axle all powder coated and purty!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK...I'm subscribed...I'd like to follow your build.

Dan

Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
CB77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by old_dan
OK...I'm subscribed...I'd like to follow your build.

Dan

Thank you, I was starting to wonder if this thing was on..

Quick Reply: Project Old Mans 55