Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting it go...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turnkyle
Most of the newer trucks aren't even made to be put to serious work hauling stuff in the bed. I worked for a place that installed alot of flat beds on trucks and the stock beds don't hold up to hardly anything. They all have thinner sheet metal on them than our trucks do so they get dented and "trashed" looking alot easier and faster. I love having an older truck that I can just throw what ever I want in the bed and not care!
well I just loaded my truck down to near full weight capacity and a friends "all show and no go" F250 and his did worse then mine...heck one point we nearly had to tow his behind mine (that woulda been a PITA) but he managed to make it to his place and we unloaded the cement and other materials he needed for his driveway and deck projects he had...my truck still looks good his has a few big dings in the bed now...oops...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitramjr
Update....

I got off my a$$ yesterday and got under the truck. The exhaust leak turned out to be the tail of the catalytic converter being rusted away, allowing the rest of the exhaust to fall off. Also found that every hanger was rusted down to nothing. Since I don't have a welder or a lift, I brought it to a local muffler show that sounds like MinorKey, and got an estimate of about $250. I had them do it. New pipe welded to the cat and new from there back. He did a bunch of hangers that he fabricated and did a very nice job. Only thing is I lost the dual exhaust pipe...big deal.

Then, I got under it and tackled the leaky oil pan. Found a pin hole at a very easily accessed location. Cleaned it up, sanded it and epoxied it and so far no leak apparent.

Either going to keep it now or ask a lot more for it.
Good to hear you got some stuff fixed. These trucks really are easy to maintain compared to the newer truck.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update....

I got off my a$$ yesterday and got under the truck. The exhaust leak turned out to be the tail of the catalytic converter being rusted away, allowing the rest of the exhaust to fall off. Also found that every hanger was rusted down to nothing. Since I don't have a welder or a lift, I brought it to a local muffler show that sounds like MinorKey, and got an estimate of about $250. I had them do it. New pipe welded to the cat and new from there back. He did a bunch of hangers that he fabricated and did a very nice job. Only thing is I lost the dual exhaust pipe...big deal.

Then, I got under it and tackled the leaky oil pan. Found a pin hole at a very easily accessed location. Cleaned it up, sanded it and epoxied it and so far no leak apparent.

Either going to keep it now or ask a lot more for it.
Gald you took it out of my price range and took the temptation away to add to the fleet lol ...

I told you I have a lift, 2 to be exact... If you ever need it on a weekend hit me up! Worst I can say is- its in use or my buddy is using the shop for painting. Every tool is there for fords and more (all the specialty stuff). If your like me, you are to proud to ask- BUT- it can be a good time wrenching. I enjoy it, and love to help a guy out.. Im not asking for money also. Wont say no to lunch or a beer... I'll PM my cell to you. Store it and if needed use it ...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
Glad you took it out of my price range and took the temptation away to add to the fleet lol ...

I told you I have a lift, 2 to be exact...
You never know if it is in your price range or not unless you ask.

Truck is for sale on craigslist. I am looking to replace it with a newer model F150 with an extra cab so I can take the wife, kids and dog along if I need to. And right now I have more money to buy stuff than time to fix stuff.

And Bankrupter - thanks for the offer of the lift. I may take you up on it sometime, you never know. I am in the Chicopee area for a few days at the beginning of each month. If you are in that area, I'd definitely meet up with you for a beverage or two.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
You never know if it is in your price range or not unless you ask.

Truck is for sale on craigslist.

And Bankrupter - thanks for the offer of the lift. I may take you up on it sometime, you never know. I am in the Chicopee area for a few days at the beginning of each month. If you are in that area, I'd definitely meet up with you for a beverage or two.
Ill be in Prinston/central MA for the next month of Sundays. Job after that is in westminster. If I have to go that way,I'll look you up.

Boston C-L ? Going to look now.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Here it is:

1997 Ford F250HD 4x4

It is also listed in the marketplace forum.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 PM
PartsPaul62
Senior User
I see the reason nobody will give you any decent money for your truck, it's missing the left front hubcap!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Here it is:

1997 Ford F250HD 4x4

It is also listed in the marketplace forum.
That is a reasonable price 4 sure...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Unless the frame is real bad I would just do the hangers. With bolts/shackles and all its usually 40-50 a corner so about 200 bucks maybe 250 in parts. When I did mine I ended up putting a pair of new rear shocks in anyways, along with sanding down the frame and putting a few coats of paint on it. For me it was an easy choice between that and a new truck.

If yours is just the rear it's not too bad. I had to do both front coil spring buckets (at $110 a piece) as well.

Either way, the price isnt bad for a 4wd f250. It's about what I see most people selling ones in need of a few things going for. These trucks are getting less and less desireable though, and from my experience attract the lowballing SOB's. Good luck with it in whatever you decide, at least you're looking for another ford for the future.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the price is decent for sure! If you were about 1000 miles closer i would be handing you the cash right now!