Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD questions...

I have E4OD with 117k miles on it. I'm not sure with how a transmission truly works, never worked on one and had the urge to. But for some reason when i shift from park to reverse it goes straight to neutral than i have to shift back up to reverse. Also likes to go into 2nd gear before drive so i have to shift back up again, Any ideas? goes to neutral NO problem though. Is a little jerky when it shifts into gear, VERY SMOOTH on the road, but thought that was normal for this truck and transmission.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
No.....No, no, no.....

There is something wrong....Obviously....If it isn't going into the correct gear.....

Could be the gear selector worn.....There'll be someone else along with more info....But that is DEFINANTLY not a correctly working tranny...

Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Im hoping. The problem is progressively getting worse. And now i noticed that it takes a second or to to shift reverse to drive. Its like a delay.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Uh oh....That could denote a much larger issue....

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Could you elaborate a little more? lol, i need to know how much im looking at spending. Also nice ride, was looking at your pics, is that the cervini's hood?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks a lot man....And yes, it is....$$$.....

I'm not a big tranny guy......But I know a little bit from having one....

Mine would take a 1/2 to 1 second longer to go from Park to 1st...And would randomly pop out of gear into Neutral driving down the interstate....

Could be a MLPS sensor? IIRC what they were....That controls the tranny going in/out of gears....

Has the tranny filter/fluid been changed lately?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be willing to bet that something is wrong with the valve body in the tranny or a solenoid. Unless you know what you are doing, I think these will be pretty involved because they are both in the tranny.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
I have never worked on a tranny. So ill pass on doing the inners. Maybe a day when i have time ill pop open my learning motor tranny lol. But i can say that going from reverse to drive it takes a second, with park to reverse it goes to neutral first, than from reverse to drive it wants to go into 2nd generally but not always. Dad said it could be bad vacuum lines but i didnt know these had vacuum lines and if so where would they be at?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test Here is a link on how to check for any trouble codes. Might be worth doing. There are no vacuum lines to an E4OD.
SW may br right about the MLPS, also known as the transmission range sensor (TRS) also known as the neutral safety switch (NSS). Might be worth fitting an updated one. It is on the drivers side of the trans and the manual shift linkage connects to it.
However check for trouble codes first.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
I already did the home made test where you do neg battery and a terminal on ECU hookup with the paper clip and all that and only code i got was the one for my air bag. Can i replace the sensor myself? and does it require any special tools?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nitesaber
I already did the home made test where you do neg battery and a terminal on ECU hookup with the paper clip and all that and only code i got was the one for my air bag. Can i replace the sensor myself? and does it require any special tools?
the sensor he is talking about is a bolt on to the outside of the tranny and you should see it where the linkage goes from the shifter into the tranny. It should look similar (not exact) to this - http://cobratransmission.com/images/...ch%20410EA.JPG

I think it might be an electrical problem like a fuse being burnt out or a connection not right. Have you checked the fuses? There is a fusebox in the cab and one in the engine compartment.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Nothing came up for MLPS or TRS but it said the E4OD has the NSS at autozone so i ordered it and waiting to pick it up from store. All fuses looked good, Is there a place from fuse to tranny that the wire splits at or is known for wearing out? Cant hurt to replace part for $30 anyway. Especially if it ends up fixin it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
no places that I know of other than the fuse boxes to check. I will see if I can find a wiring diagram of the two connectors on the tranny. The OD wire goes to there and if you can find it there and then find it in the cab, maybe you can test to see if the wire is disconnected.

I think it is +3v that goes into the OD wire so when the tranny detects that voltage, it turns on the OD. If you can find the wire and then (maybe) test it by giving it what it needs (+3v or maybe grounding the wire) then you should be able to drive the truck and see if it goes in to OD or not.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by Nitesaber
I have E4OD with 117k miles on it. I'm not sure with how a transmission truly works, never worked on one and had the urge to. But for some reason when i shift from park to reverse it goes straight to neutral than i have to shift back up to reverse. Also likes to go into 2nd gear before drive so i have to shift back up again, Any ideas? goes to neutral NO problem though. Is a little jerky when it shifts into gear, VERY SMOOTH on the road, but thought that was normal for this truck and transmission.
Mine does the exact same thing. The shift selector is very "sloppy" and often I have to go to neutral then back to reverse. This happened after someone tried to steal it and most likely tried to force it out of park without the key switch on. It feels like something is bent or loose in the column but I haven't had the time or need to tear it apart to figure it out. Although mine doesn't jerk into gear like you described.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Worth trying the TRS. When you have it bolted up with linkage all connected, shift the trans to Neutral, loosen the bolts and line up the two marks on the TRS then tighten the bolts.

Quick Reply: E4OD questions...