Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.9l gas mileage and power

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
neillogan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9l gas mileage and power

I just bought a '94 F150 short box reg cab 5 spd 2wd with only 121,000 kms, or about 74,000 miles. Great shape, but I'm not a Ford guy. I want the gas mileage and power I'm used to from my Dodges that I usually drive, and this 4.9l is terrible. It improved when I did the full tune up as other threads suggested, but only moderately. If I mercilessly abuse it on the highway I still just barely get enough power to pass with. All research shows I need to add $2000 worth of parts. I don't mind ditching the EFI and emissions, but how do I keep the module in the system? Or am I doomed? Or does someone want to buy this truck from me? Anybody want to trade for a Dodge? Your thoughts?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 AM
rangergirl94
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You prolly have 2:73 rear end gears that wouldd be your power problem but ive never honestly seen a dodge pickup get any kind of decent miliage

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 AM
neillogan
New User
I regrettably wrote off my Dakota last year. It used half the fuel than this does and was twice the truck.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 AM
neillogan
New User
But I think you're right, the gears seem really tall.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
easy with that D word!

4.9l is a gutless wonder and its not gonna be winning any races. That being said, it'l last 3 times as long as that dodge would have.....no matter how merciless you thrash it.

The 300/6 runs off of abuse, the more you abuse it, the happier it gets

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM
neillogan
New User
Sorry, I really am starting to dislike this truck. It has not shown me any reason to like it. Did Ford assume that if you bought a regular cab truck you were oriental? The seat needs to go back about 3 more inches. Only 1 of my beefs. A "D" I can't put the seat all the way back, I need to pull it up a couple of notches. 6 weeks in and I want to trade.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just givin you crap bud.

To each there own, everyone has there opinions, likes and dislikes.

you cant assume that ALL ford tucks are this way though. Find yourself an ext. cab f250 with a 5.8 and see if that dont change your opinion

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
What dakota did you have? If you're gettin 1/2 the mileage, regardless what dakota you had, your ford is broke.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
The I6 is a farm tractor motor so it's ain't never gonna get anywhere fast but it should get mid to high teens fuel milage no problem, if you're doesn't there's definitely something wrong. If you decide to keep this thing check for codes and the fuel transfer problem.. there is an issue where fuel is transferred from one tank to the other because of clogged/failing check valves in the fuel delivery modules in the tanks. The truck should get the same mpg on both tanks and if it doesn't this problem is likely. One peculiarity of the I6 trucks is the axle gearing, these trucks commonly got 3.08 or even 2.73 ratios for some reason which kills performance on most non flat road conditions and makes overdrive useless at any resonable speed. Bottom line is many of these trucks were crippled as delivered and not at all that great for use as a beast of burden, strange for sure but it's a sign of the times these things come from when the prevailing strategy to meet manufacturers emissions standards was to choke the live out of the engines. Many of these shorcommings can be fixed but you gotta be an enthusiast first I think and be preparred to get your hands dirty.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM
neillogan
New User
I had a 2006 Dakota with the 3.7 V6, but I didn't expect to get as good as that did. (I was getting 33-35 mpg on the highway in it.) But certainly thought it would't shock me. I had a carburated 360 Dodge that was much better. Interesting what you say about the fuel transfer valve. I do believe there to be a discrepancy between the tanks which last week I started to explore. I am checking each tank individually to see what it is. And, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. If I had mileage and less power, I would be fine. If I had power and less mileage, I would be fine. I have neither and that's what bugs me. I have a line on a 351C I may put in. I'd love to get away from that whiny, self-destruct power steering pump that you hear over all engine noise in this. Is that the best these things get is high teens for mileage? Even the old slant 6 dodge got 25-28 mpg. I thought it would be better in a 2wd 5 spd. My 4x4 360 Ramcharger got better than this. Maybe I'm just being picky.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM
bent-1
More Turbo
Received 166 Likes on 106 Posts
Is the 33-35 mpg figure Canadian Imperial gallons? Epa figures show 16/20 mpg on a3.7L 6spd reg cab Dakota. Regarding the slant 6, i've driven them but never saw 25 mpg. Worked for a painting contractor & we had them in early mid 80's 2wd D100's.

Any pictures of the truck?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
We understand about the dodge, but you have to look at it this way, you didnt get a race truck, nor a bad *** get up and go truck. You bought a daily driver that most people use to tow a house practically and not see much difference in fuel consumption. These were work horses and sometimes race motors but not many stay up to par. You keep thrashing dodge on a Ford forum, great u think dodges are so much better than go with them, either way suck it up and deal with what you have. You have a motor that would outlast the dodge you had and the one after. It is bullet proof and one hell of a great motor. But if you really want to get some get up and go put some 4.10's in it, than tell me your dodge is faster. and if you just want mild put 3.55 or something along those lines. Add an exhaust to let it breathe. Alot of these motors have clogged cats, just how it goes. Get bigger injectors. Advance your timing a bit. With just those few things your looking at one hell of a great motor that wont let you down pulling or getting off the line before your average 350 or 305. Good Luck though and hope you decide to keep the Ford. Wont let you down in the long run

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
neillogan
New User
Yeah, sorry, I forget to note imperial gallons. It is a difference. I had several slant 6's, good success. But a lot of guys make the mistake and load their trucks up with them. I got good mileage empty. 500 lbs would drop it significantly. I have a friend with this same Ford I have years ago, 2 bbl carb, he had low to mid 20's. That's why I bought this one. I know they're great motors, and the miles on this means it will last forever. I guess I put in a V8, or lose the EFI, or move up to what I'm used to, that "D" word again.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
neillogan
New User
Oh, and to answer Nitesaber, I haven't taken any pictures, I probably should. You guys would be impressed with the shape this thing is in. I'll upload some tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM
neillogan
New User
Or I mean Bent-1. Sorry.

Quick Reply: 4.9l gas mileage and power