1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know about california diesel emission laws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 AM
patrick1989
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know about california diesel emission laws?

ive been reading alot about diesels and talking to buddies hwo have them and they all tell me about EGR delete kits and how it makes the truck run cleaner and all that and i also had a friend tell me she had to spend 2k just to get her truck to pass emissions in colorado where im stationed at and im going to be getting out of the amry in ayar and ahalf and move to california but im concerned about what i can and cant do to my truck so it will pass the strict emission laws out there! can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ive searched the threads and came up with nothing! i dont want to mod my truck then pay out the *** when i move to california cause i didnt know something!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
XB70
Elder User
Moving to California for any reason is a bad idea. When I left, the first two things I researched about Wyoming were:

Gun laws. The Brady Campaign rates Wyoming "F." Now that no-permit-required concealed carry went into effect July 1, I'm sure it is "F-."

Vehicle smog testing. "What do I need to do to register my cars?" "You need a VIN check." "Huh?" "A deputy sheriff checks the VIN on your vehicle against the VIN on your registration."

"What about smog checks?" "What's a smog check?"

California conducts a visual inspection. That means all factory emissions equipment must be present on your truck. I'm not going to argue with people here about whether the guy inspecting your truck knows what to look for, but the law requires any equipment that affects emissions must be present. That includes EGR, catalytic converters and even air filters and intakes.

Any non-stock items must have an EO mumber (Executive Order) indicating they have been approved by the California Air Resources Board. Just try to find a non-OEM approved catalyst.

An OBDII test is next. Evidently, the equipment to test CAN systems is not available (yet). SEE ATTACHED LINK.

A visual smoke test finishes up the current California test.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...4-09_Final.pdf

It's only going to get worse. Leave your truck stock.

Better yet, stay away from California. If your job is there, it's not worth it. If your girlfriend is there, she's not worth it. If your wife wants to live there, let her.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
dont come visit me xb70 out here in sunny Cal. Go/stay home.
He? is correct that it is all visual with no hookups to the obd port. Mine did not come with a cat (I have a sticker under hood saying non-catalyst)which is verified with vin# so I was good there. Make sure you are not throwing any codes, if you are then clear them beforehand. I have heard of a group of peeps who all removed the cats years ago and tossed them and now that they need them they all pitched in and bought one. What they did was cut and clamp on each truck when their time was up for smogging. Not saying it was right or wrong, just saying. Cats are expensive. That being said, a couple of counties out here do not require smog on gas or diesel such as Lake county. May have to smog because you are moving there, I dunno, not saying you are moving but you get the meaning.
long post, sorry

Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lake county doesn't require smog on gas engines? Are you 100% sure on that? I'm pretty sure that's a statewide deal. They may not require a smog check every two years like Los Angeles, but I'm pretty darn sure that to register and license it initially, you DO need a smog certificate on gas engines.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
BTW, an EGR delete will not make your truck run cleaner. You will see lower EGTs but not cleaner emissions.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by hanklin
dont come visit me xb70 out here in sunny Cal. Go/stay home.
I wouldn't dream of it. Well, unless...can you post a photo?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It took me 14 years to get out of that hell hole! why on earth would you want to move there?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
It took me 14 years to get out of that hell hole! why on earth would you want to move there?
Don't ask me. Ask hanklin. He seems to think everyone wants to come to California to visit him.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
patrick1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
BTW, an EGR delete will not make your truck run cleaner. You will see lower EGTs but not cleaner emissions.
ive been told with the egr delete it doenst recylce the exhaust gases right?

and the reason iwant to move ot claifornia is cause ive never been and im going to go to uti for diesel tech in sacramento.

plus i wanna party my *** off haha theres lots of cars out there and since im a mechanic i love being around them all the time

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by patrick1989
ive been told with the egr delete it doenst recylce the exhaust gases right?

and the reason iwant to move ot claifornia is cause ive never been and im going to go to uti for diesel tech in sacramento.

plus i wanna party my *** off haha theres lots of cars out there and since im a mechanic i love being around them all the time
Take the classes in Phoenix, Chicago, Houston or Philadelphia instead. You can get ****faced in all of these places, plus the women are nicer in Houston.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 AM
patrick1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by XB70
Take the classes in Phoenix, Chicago, Houston or Philadelphia instead. You can get ****faced in all of these places, plus the women are nicer in Houston.
hahah im actually looking for my new truck in houston know anyone sellin my dream truck hahah

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XB70

Better yet, stay away from California. If your job is there, it's not worth it. If your girlfriend is there, she's not worth it. If your wife wants to live there, let her.
Quote of the year....and SO true.
JL

Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
Right from the DMV themselves

Smog Information

Now the link says 1998 but my buddy has an 01 and it doesn't get smoged so idk

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by patrick1989
ive been reading alot about diesels and talking to buddies hwo have them and they all tell me about EGR delete kits and how it makes the truck run cleaner and all that and i also had a friend tell me she had to spend 2k just to get her truck to pass emissions in colorado where im stationed at and im going to be getting out of the amry in ayar and ahalf and move to california but im concerned about what i can and cant do to my truck so it will pass the strict emission laws out there! can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ive searched the threads and came up with nothing! i dont want to mod my truck then pay out the *** when i move to california cause i didnt know something!
You didn't ask whether moving here was a good idea, so we can ignore the off topic types who just have to hear themselves type.

CA has had diesel emission testing for about a year now. You will need to be tested before you can register the truck, and then every 2 years thereafter. The test is a simple one. It has to have all the factory emission equipment, and it must not smoke, and it cannot have any OBD fault codes. No sniffer test is used.

Many states have testing, and most that don't will eventually. You cannot keep running to the frontier to keep away from it. So you should keep your emission equipment in place and operational.

Don't delete the EGR if you want to pass emissions testing. BTW, it does make the engine run cleaner internally. That is not the same as cleaner emissions, which deleting won't do. But deleting does keep the soot out of the intake. Anyway, it is not necessary to delete to have a strong reliable truck. Deleting has fallen out of favor and is an old fashioned idea. I assume you have a 6.0, or we wouldn't be having an EGR delete discussion.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
XB70
Elder User
It's been a few years. I pay $138 per year here in Park County, Wyoming. No State income tax, and four percent sales tax.

How much time do you spend everyday translating English into Illegal Alien? God, I miss that. I've forgotten how to order en Espanol at McDonald's.

What are you going to do, Bill? Be the last tax paying citizen in California? By the way, I already provided complete California diesel testing information complete with a link to official State of California documentation.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know about california diesel emission laws?