Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best way to clean the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Best way to clean the engine?

The 7.3 is a messy eater.. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good SAFE way to clean the engine compartment.

The engine compartment on my F150 got sprayed down with water from the hose once and it caused all kinds of shorts (Honking the horn made the hi beams flash for example) I never found out if the problems self resolved because it was totaled later that night in an unrelated accident.

Anyway... wondering if there is a way to clean up the engine. Planning a foil delete and I have a CCV in right now, but I'm going to return it to stock after I get some IC boots from Clay.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 AM
slim613
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is kinda off subject but the ccv like wat collects in the vally and makes it look like u have a rear mail seal? privete messege if u need too but i have this problem along with my fuel bowl wen i go to drain it

Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Use a flash light ang look on top of the engine under the turbo. I'll bet you have oil in the valley back there. It is probably a HPOP line leaking or turbo pedestal seal. Almost never the rear main.

The CCV is a black dog house that is under the intake tube half way between filter and turbo. In a stock set up it is routed into the intake tube.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 AM
slim613
Elder User
well then iv deffentaly look while im under the hood fixing my battery cabels, and i dont think a leaking hpop is good for it,
riffraff have that hpop line?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 AM
slim613
Elder User
oh and to answer ur thread question, u daid ur f150 caused electral problems so do u think if u disconected ur batteries washed it and let it sit and dry for awhile would help? just a thought

Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a concentrated bottle of Simple Green and didn't cut it with water in a spray bottle. Covered the alternator and the power steering pump lid and sprayed liberally. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then used a garden hose with low water pressure to rinse. Does pretty well...

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power purple also works well I've found the best results on a hot engine, if you have your boost tubes off then easy off oven cleaner does a really good job in the valley on the thick crusty stuff but it etches any aluminum so if it's shiny take it off or it won't be and keep it out of the alternator but it cleans nice And the hotter the engine the better the clean!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
i soaked everything down with simple green mixed with some water....probably about 50/50 then hosed it down. after that i spray WD-40 on everything to protect it. there are a lot of other post-wash sprays but WD-40 is non-corrosive and is used in a lot of electrical panels etc that get exposed to water once in a while. learned that on a job site from one of our electricians that does our interconnection on the wind turbines.

for the nasty stuff i use carb cleaner or brake cleaner and a toilet brush. you'll probably need it for the area near the IC up pipe when you do your foil delete. i had a nice thick film of grime in there.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I also used Simple Green straight on mine and used a regular garden hose with a sprayer on it to rinse. Then I left the hood open all day to dry. I have done this twice with no ill effects. Be sure to dump the collected water out of your ps pump cap when you are done spraying.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by hotroddsl
Power purple also works well I've found the best results on a hot engine, if you have your boost tubes off then easy off oven cleaner does a really good job in the valley on the thick crusty stuff but it etches any aluminum so if it's shiny take it off or it won't be and keep it out of the alternator but it cleans nice And the hotter the engine the better the clean!
I've got purple power, but I have found that it eats away at rubber. :/ So I only use it in directed applications.

I've got some simple green. I love the stuff. What do I need to protect when spraying down the motor?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

I've used simple green also with good results. Why are you doing away with the CCV mod?
You will have a much dirter eng. if you get rid of the CCV Mod. I like the CCV mod!
Just my .02

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
I just keep it out of the alternator as it tends to make the bearings complain but with simple green I don't protect anything and have never had any problems

Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by rackhound
I've used simple green also with good results. Why are you doing away with the CCV mod?
You will have a much dirter eng. if you get rid of the CCV Mod. I like the CCV mod!
Just my .02
Yes, the CCV Mod does keep the engine clean, when using rubber IC boots. But Clay has some silicone ones, which, if I am not mistaken, should not be susceptible to degradation from oil residue. Also, the CCV Mod is not legal. At least here in CA. So come smog time (Granted I have 2 more years for that) I will have to remove it anyway.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

I don't think the ccv mod is legal in AZ too. I reconect the old system with a 2' piece of heater hose when it goes in for emissions (don't even turn the the dog house around).
Did it once and didn't have an issue, passed no prob.
Bob

Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
dont pressure wash it, i had crazy electrical problems i had to figure out

Quick Reply: Best way to clean the engine?