6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No low pressure oil on 06 F-350 Update W/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No low pressure oil on 06 F-350 Update W/ pics!

Hey guys, I am diagnosing an 06 F-350 with 56k on it.

It has no LPOP system pressure. I held down the filter bypass with the filter removed (when I removed the filter, the filter resovoir was empty) and it will not fill the resovoir while cranking on it.

I could use some advice as to what you guys think is the most likely cause of this. Bypass valve? LPOP?

I am working on trying to figure it out, But any advice would be appreciated, as I haven't dealt with this particular issue before.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think lpop gears, but there is some testing to do first. Have you verified no lpop? Just because the gauge doesn't read on dash doesnt mean there really isn't lpop. Also you said holding down the bypass in the bottom of the oil filter housing while cranking doesnt fill the housing? Is there any oil at all going into the housing?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
After cranking for 10 seconds(i had somebody else crank, and I watched the resovoir) there was no oil at all coming into the oil filter housing.

If I crank on the truck, the scanner shows 0 HPOP pressure, and the LPOP gauge on the dash never rises(I know the dash gauge is just a switched idiot light, practically speaking)

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
texans
Postmaster
Might be a stuck regulator, but my bet would be the gears.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by texans
Might be a stuck regulator, but my bet would be the gears.
There is a regulator on the LPOP side? What sre the odds that it would be the gears since it was running fine, and then all of a sudden, it just quit?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
texans
Postmaster
Pretty good. They are known to fail on these trucks. If you determine that you need to look at the gears check to see if it looks like something has gone through it.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by texans
Pretty good. They are known to fail on these trucks. If you determine that you need to look at the gears check to see if it looks like something has gone through it.
Thanks, I was just asking. Please bear with my questions, I am a 7.3L guy, and can do anything to them, and I am doing more and more to the 6.0L (due to the need there are very, very few people good at working on 6.0L {or 7.3L for that matter} near me.) and I am trying to get all the info I can.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Got a little carnage in here:

Any ideas as to what might have gone through it? Is there bound to be other subsequent issues? or will everything be ok with a new LPOP?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
nylyon
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the front cover look?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
I also noticed that the cover (for the geroter gears) is trashed, and the front cover has some scoring on the area where the outside edge of the gears ride.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Now, is where it's time to dig deeper. For what's it's worth, the oil pickup screen (if you could even call it that) is very crude on these engines. There are lots of items that WILL pass through the screen and take out the LPOP/front cover assembly like what you have. If this truck suffered a blown injector top, blown out STC fitting or even worse, failed roller lifter(s), you're going in DEEP. If the needle bearings on a roller lifter has let go, you may as well quote a long block because to change out a cam and lifters on these engines requires the cylinder heads to be removed, as well as all eight piston and rod assemblies to enable the crank to be removed. The cam is literally the very last part of the engine that can be removed, and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Thanks m-chan! As always very helpful! I did drain the oil, and then strain through nylon. I did not get anything obvious, FWIW.

I know have to get the right size allen socket for the Pressure reulator. Is it 12mm?

What usually causes roller failure?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by plgebbia
Thanks m-chan! As always very helpful! I did drain the oil, and then strain through nylon. I did not get anything obvious, FWIW.
The next step is to pull the oil pan, for further inspection.

I know have to get the right size allen socket for the Pressure reulator. Is it 12mm?
It's kind of pointless to pull the regulator at this point, since you've already pulled the pump apart and found damage.

What usually causes roller failure?
If I had to guess, I'd have to say lack of/poor maintenance. Trust me, if I knew, I'd be posting all over every 6.0L forum available to do everything I can to help prevent anyone from suffering this type of failure. I just recently had one come in about a month ago, needing a bedplate seal replacement. During the process of disassembly was when I noticed cylinder #8 cam lobe worn almost completely flat with the accompanying damage to the corresponding lifter. At that point was when I submitted a request to FoMoCo to authorize a long block replacement (vehicle was under diesel engine warranty). It didn't take one hour to hear back from them with the "go ahead" to replace it, no questions asked!!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by m-chan68
The next step is to pull the oil pan, for further inspection.

Agreed, Is it better to pull it in the truck, or just go ahead and pull the motor. I am not so worried about the time I spend on it, as I am making sure I fix it %100.

It's kind of pointless to pull the regulator at this point, since you've already pulled the pump apart and found damage.

I see your point. My thinking was that maybe there is some debris caught in the regulator.... Because just the wear to the gears that I found wouldn't keep it from building pressure, would it?

If I had to guess, I'd have to say lack of/poor maintenance. Trust me, if I knew, I'd be posting all over every 6.0L forum available to do everything I can to help prevent anyone from suffering this type of failure. I just recently had one come in about a month ago, needing a bedplate seal replacement. During the process of disassembly was when I noticed cylinder #8 cam lobe worn almost completely flat with the accompanying damage to the corresponding lifter. At that point was when I submitted a request to FoMoCo to authorize a long block replacement (vehicle was under diesel engine warranty). It didn't take one hour to hear back from them with the "go ahead" to replace it, no questions asked!!!!
I figured there is no 1 cause for it, just wondered if there was anything in particular that was a common cause. This truck only has 56,000 on it, It is a USDA (U.S. department of agriculture) that gets driven around by an older guy, easy life, no pulling, probably never had a WOT run in its entire life.

Thanks again for all your help, I'd rep you if I could.... but I'm still in rep jail

Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Unlike a 7.3L, pulling the oil pan on a 6.0L is relatively simple. You simply undo the engine mount nuts from the frame, and jack the engine up about a 1/2". Remove all those 8mm bolts that secure the lower oil pan. Once removed, slide the pan rearward just far enough that you can access the two 8mm bolts that secure the oil pickup. Once removed, slide the pan and oil pickup the rest of the way rearward.

Quick Reply: No low pressure oil on 06 F-350 Update W/ pics!