1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck
Old 11-12-2014, 04:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Is it time to replace my water pump? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
That is nasty...

Some 300-6s had a plastic gear to make the engine quieter. So if you had one of the plastic gears, it might be prudent to change them to all metal.
But I have to agree, very seldom do those gears cause problems.
I was thinking Ford may have done the dreaded "plastic gear" on the 300-6s as they did my 83 460, which is why I suggested it.

I was unaware, however, that it was a gear drive setup.

That's COOL!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I dunno when the plastic/fiber gears first started seeing use. They typically last around 200K or about 30 years, whichever comes first.
Replacing them is a pain, as mentioned. Best way to go, is with all metal replacements. Sure, they can make a little noise, but they seldom ever cause any other problems...

Water pump itself is a rather simple job on a 300. 4 bolts hold the pump on, IIRC. Sometimes, there's an alt bracket attached with 1 of those bolts, but not always. Typically, 2 hoses, lower radiator hose and heater return hose, along with the fan. That's about all there is to it.

I also agree that many shops may do a good job, but few will ever do a job that meets my expectations. Paint the pump? almost never at a shop, always when I do it myself. I don't like to see a rusty looking pump on the front of an engine. If the pump has paint on it after a shop replaces it, you can bet it was done by the supplier, not the guy that installed it. It also most likely won't be the same color as the rest of the engine......

I have the skill and knowledge to be a full time mechanic. I just don't like working on other people's crap. Most won't do anything until they don't have any choice, and then they want it done quick and cheap. They want to skimp when it comes to replacing stuff that should be replaced, and when that item later fails, they want to blame you for the failure when it was their own tight-wad nature that caused it. The "I told you so" line doesn't sit too well with them, no matter how right you are.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galendor
I really wish I knew a mechanic who was also a friend, it would be very valuable. My experiences with shop mechanics have not been good. For example, what do you think would happen if I dropped my truck off at the local Firestone and said "replace my water pump"? I shudder to think of it - the cheapest water pump and gasket would be installed, RTV goop oozing out everywhere, and do you think my belts would be properly tensioned afterwards? Proper torque on all fasteners, I think not. Do you think my radiator shroud retaining screws would all be put back in? Nope. Would my radiator fins be dented in? Yep. Maybe I'm just paranoid but that is my experience. And forget the local Ford dealership - they told me my truck was "too old" for them to work on.

I would pay someone like Wyowanderer TWICE what a shop mechanic would charge to work on my truck, plus buy him lunch and beer afterwards. Why? Because it would be done correctly and I could see how it is done.
That's just it, G. If you lived close, your money wouldn't be worth anything.
I wouldn't take payment, well, maybe a beer after we finished.
But this is an fairly easy job, and one you can do with a small investment of tools.
Seek out a good mechanic, and buy him a beer; as some questions. Mechanics are people, after all; they're friendly,amiable folks just like those on this board and they often make good friends.
And if you're ever in Casper, look me up. I'll buy the first beer.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by billt28
Not really. Most of these engines had the phenolic gear on the cam. Getting them off is a total PITA. IMHO, I would only change it out if I was going to rebuild it, or was having problems with it.
I was referring to the suggestion to replace a timing chain, I thought that was a good idea given the age of the vehicle.

Of course, it doesn't have one so the suggestion is moot, but I nevertheless agreed with the idea of replacing the chain.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyowanderer
That's just it, G. If you lived close, your money wouldn't be worth anything.
I wouldn't take payment, well, maybe a beer after we finished.
But this is an fairly easy job, and one you can do with a small investment of tools.
Seek out a good mechanic, and buy him a beer; as some questions. Mechanics are people, after all; they're friendly,amiable folks just like those on this board and they often make good friends.
And if you're ever in Casper, look me up. I'll buy the first beer.
It's a deal. I agree 100% - mechanics are good people, most of their hurried approach is due to the endless stream of unrealistic and even mean customers, as Rouge mentioned.

My grandfather owned his own Shell station full auto repair shop in upstate small-town NY, where I'm from. My uncle owns and runs it now, together with his sons (my cousins). They also build and race sprint cars. So I have family who are mechanics - but they are too far away. If I was still living up there I would have the best place to take any of my vehicles, anytime.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to close this thread out - I replaced my water pump and fan clutch. You guys were right of course, it is a do-able job for an amatuer. Just take your time and take care to do it all correctly. Lots of little steps required to reach the pump (remove hoses, radiator shroud, belts, fan clutch, fan, and pump pulley). The special fan clutch removal wrenches were a big help, it was hard to remove the fan clutch even with those wrenches, so I can't imagine doing it without them. I put a little copper anti-seize on the new fan clutch threads in case I ever have to remove it again.

The old pump was really worn out, the shaft could be moved side-to side and I coud feel that the bearings were pretty much shot. The new pump was an OEM Motorcraft. Motorcraft fan clutches don't seem available anymore, but the one I installed is USA manufacture and seemed to be high quality (Four Seasons Brand).

Thanks for all your help!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Job, Galendor.

You know, I read this thread, and walked away from it after Gal's last post, but it's been eating me alive to not post my experience...

I have never, EVER taken any vehicle I've owned to a mechanic that I was completely happy with the results. It's not that I'm hard to please, but it just seems that the shop mechanics I've had to trust my car/truck to just don't give a damn. Broken, stripped, and hidden is par for the course with these guys.

Buying my Bronco scared me to death because it's got all that electronic crap, which meant I was gonna have to trust a mechanic again. Turns out that I was wrong about that. These forums, and guys like you guys, have helped me along with being able to work on even EFI stuff.

Mechanics don't touch my stuff. I'm not sure what the heck I'm ever gonna do if my trans goes out, but for right now, it's all on me.