Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think Factory Tow Mirrors are Good? Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njneer1
You can not fold the mirrors back with c better can you?
Sure you can. You just can't pull them in that last inch.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
I would like to have a stainless steel housing instead of the cheap plastic that is doomed to fail at some point. just something for me to fabricate sometime

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,714 Likes on 2,631 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
thats when i just flip on my extra reverse lights, seems to get the point across.
That'll get you a ticket in Florida. In fact, just having a switch to those lights in the cab will get you another ticket for illegal equipment.

They must be switched from the outside of the vehicle or FOB.

But I like the way you think.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My problem is that the spot mirror on the factory right side mirror is way too small. The big flat mirror gives you tunnel vision. The little mirror is so small you can see if there is a vehicle there but you can't see it in the big mirror to figure how exactly how far away it is. The image is so small and so distorted you can't see where or how far away the other vehicle is. I am going to get a bigger spot mirror and put on there soon. I am not going to pay $50 for the CU better mirrors. I can figure something out as far as mounting. They put a bigger spot mirror on the newer truck mirrors for a reason. I have already had some idiot try to run me off the road because he thinks I cut him off. Obviously he did not look at my turn signal before trying to pass me on the right side while I was in the middle of changing lanes. So he then passes me on the left side and gets in front of me and slams on the brakes when I am with my family in a loaded down SUV pulling a trailer. This guy was crazy and I had to pull out my gun before he would leave us alone. I don't know if I had better mirrors if this incident could have been avoided but it sure would have helped. So yes I hate the frigging stock tow mirrors. I looked before I changed lanes but I can't see what is directly behind me when I am pulling a trailer so if he was tailgating and jackrabbiting in and out of lanes in blind spots I can't avoid that.

Perry

Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
mblaksley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Ex
I would give them a 7. They do very well and I do not feel like I have any blindspots under normal conditions. When towing though I wish they would extend a little further. I can not get enough angle to see behind the trailer. I added a camera to the back of the trailer so now I can see all. The mirrors on my 03 Dodge Dually were wider when flipped out and worked better for towing. I could see a little more behind the trailer. I would give the Dodge mirrors a 9. My dad's 03 Chevy Duramax came with the extendable factory tow mirrors and they were worthless with his fifth wheel - I would give them a 3. He then upgraded to some aftermarket - lost his turn signals - gained a lot larger mirror - rate a 8 for functionallity but do not look very good. So in comparison with the others of the same vintages, I would say they are not the best but they do work well.
What type of camera did you add to your trailer? I'm look to mount a good camera to my vintage airstream and am looking for info/advise. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Red Ex
Senior User
Look at the posts in this thread RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: cameras and mounts on your trailers

I post under the name Red Ramrod on this site. The thread has info on where I purchased as well as some pictures. Let me know or PM me if you have any questions. I really like the setup.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by FRANKINTRUCK
We love them on our Excursion. It was one of my wife's few demands when I was looking at buying my latest Ex The paddle mirrors just look like they belong on a car. Why would you want the biggest SUV on the road with tiny mirrors. I like them because the are very useful and extend out when you are pulling a trailer never noticed any blind spots all around happy with them
I also have the small mirrors and would like graduate to the two armed mirrors. They look so much better. Was the modification difficult to switch from the single arm to the double? I'm sure there was some drilling involved. Did you loose the turn signal in the mirror? I kinda like that option too

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by hd883chopper
I also have the small mirrors and would like graduate to the two armed mirrors. They look so much better. Was the modification difficult to switch from the single arm to the double? I'm sure there was some drilling involved. Did you loose the turn signal in the mirror? I kinda like that option too
Depends on what year truck you have, and the mirrors. None require drilling. My 04 was 15 minutes a side to swap them without losing any features(power, heat, signal, running lights).

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Depends on what year truck you have, and the mirrors. None require drilling. My 04 was 15 minutes a side to swap them without losing any features(power, heat, signal, running lights).
Really? Wow, I would think that having two arms connecting to the truck instead of just the one would require some sort of mod or drilling.
Mine is a 2001 Ex Limited 4x4.

So your 04 had just the single paddle on it right? Cool, that would be awesome if I could do a simple swap!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Both mount the same way, with 3 studs/nuts. The arms do not connect to the truck; they connect to the triangle trim that connects to the truck.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by jasoncw
Both mount the same way, with 3 studs/nuts. The arms do not connect to the truck; they connect to the triangle trim that connects to the truck.
Damn, that's cool. I'll be checking into these. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hd883chopper
Damn, that's cool. I'll be checking into these. Thanks!

If you look on the first page I have a picture up of the 08+ and up 07, you can kinda see the mount plate. It is the same on the paddle mirrors you have. I used to have.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
That'll get you a ticket in Florida. In fact, just having a switch to those lights in the cab will get you another ticket for illegal equipment.

They must be switched from the outside of the vehicle or FOB.

But I like the way you think.

glad we dont have stupid laws like that here

Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 AM
hd883chopper
Junior User
Originally Posted by wallz
If you look on the first page I have a picture up of the 08+ and up 07, you can kinda see the mount plate. It is the same on the paddle mirrors you have. I used to have.
Thx wallz. So the one on the left are your new one's correct? The 2008 version? Are these stock from the Ford Dealer?
And since they are power fold/extend, I wonder if they can be wired so they fold in when you kill the truck? I'm guessing an incab switch for the extension as well correct?

I see some sort of colored lens on the outside, is that the turn signal?

When they are extended, have you noticed excessive mirror shaking or vibration making it hard to see? The only thing I worry about is that any telescoping extension leaves room for the wind turbulence problems. Thoughts?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 AM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

I too would like a little bit of clarification on as to what I should purchase before I drop $300+ on tow mirrors. I have a 2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer and would like to have the tow mirrors instead of the dog ears currently installed. As to what I ask for would it be for an F250 or F350 stock replacement and if so decided if I go with the newer 2008 or newer, (which I like better), is there major modifications as to mounting, IE: dremmeling, drilling, etc. or is it a straight bolt up? The wiring was already explained earlier in this post so that does not worry me as much but if anyone would care to clarify on that it would be appreciated. I am looking to bite the bullet here real soon before a trip in November and if it is a straight bolt up/wire swap I am all about that.

Quick Reply: Think Factory Tow Mirrors are Good? Yes/No?