1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Whats The Best Kind Of Tuner For A 1996 F350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryGirl3294
Thank you guys for all your help. Yes I am replacing the stock down pipe with a 3 inch then from the 3 inch going to a 4 inch straight pipe. I have been looking at gauges but haven't found a decent site, so thank you for a great site! I will look into a DP tuner because more of you guys recommended that one over the others.
Just keep in mind that MOST of the tuners (Power Hungry Performance, TW, Tyrant, Gearhead, etc.) use the same exact kind of chip (TS Style with rotary ****).
That means that if you don't like the tunes you get, or you want to try a different tuner later you can send the chip to one of the others and try their tunes and it will cost less because you already have the chip.

With DP Tuner they use a different style of chip so you are basically stuck with their tunes unless you buy a whole new chip from a different tuner if you want to try something different later on.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Thank you guys for all your help. Yes I am replacing the stock down pipe with a 3 inch then from the 3 inch going to a 4 inch straight pipe. I have been looking at gauges but haven't found a decent site, so thank you for a great site! I will look into a DP tuner because more of you guys recommended that one over the others.
Honestly I would pass on the glowshift gauges and get a set of Autometers or Isspros from Clay at Riffraff Diesel. The glowshift gauges seem to be getting better, but there have been plenty of threads about problems with them. I've had 3 different sets of Isspros (well the third set is on the way now) and never had an issue with them. Plus their customer service (Clay's as well) is top notch. EV1 gauges are better on a budget, EV2's are a little nicer and simpler to install.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
CountryGirl3294
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking for a Trans Temp gauge, Boost gauge, and a Pyrometer gauge.
Whats a good site for them?

So you wouldn't recommend going with a DP tuner? What exactly would you recommend me trying first? I heard some tuners are hard on the tranny, and having my tranny go out would put me in a huge hole right now.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
CountryGirl3294
New User
Any reviews on a TS Performance Chip - 6 Position?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I have been looking for a Trans Temp gauge, Boost gauge, and a Pyrometer gauge.
Whats a good site for them?

So you wouldn't recommend going with a DP tuner? What exactly would you recommend me trying first? I heard some tuners are hard on the tranny, and having my tranny go out would put me in a huge hole right now.
I would recommend Riffraff Diesel for your gauges. He stocks Autometer and Isspro and he can definitely get the 3 you listed.
I can't say anything bad about DP Tuner, I had their tunes in my 99 and loved them, and Jody was great to work with. I went a different route with this truck (will be going with Tyrant Diesel tunes) because I got a good deal on a blank chip.
TS tunes are okay but not great. All the tuners mentioned in this thread with the exception of DP Tuner can burn tunes onto a TS chip for you though.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:58 PM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not been on here a lot either, and have the highest regard for the many people that have helped me, however (the other shoe drops) The guys at Swamps have been great to work with as well.

Ashley you should check the fuel pressure and maybe upgrade the IDM as well. The 120v in my '95 was an improvement-replaced the 100V- which I did after the 3" pipe and 6637. Not having access to a dyno I have done each mod as individual, and watched results. People riding in the 12' bed '95 have been impressed with the budget mods.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Well, she'll probably end up getting a three-pod A-pillar fitting to put the gauges in, so unless she goes for a two-in-one gauge, she'll need to choose three. If she has an auto, then trans temp will be important. I run a 5-speed, so I did get a fuel pressure gauge. I think she'll be good with the ones she has mentioned.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Ford Powerstroke Gauges | 7.3L Powerstroke Gauges | Diesel Gauges & Accessories - Gauges & Mounts

As mentioned, Clay treats customers well and is a supporter of the forums. Give it a whirl.

Best of luck and ask anything whenever.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Any reviews on a TS Performance Chip - 6 Position?
Yes, if you can find a really great deal on a used TS chip, buy it and then send it to one of the good tuning guys already listed to get it burned with better tunes.

DP-Tuner has up and down buttons you push to change tunes. The rest of them use the TS style chip with a rotary **** that you turn and can feel click as it goes into each setting.

I'd also suggest you either give us a general area you live in, or check all the tuners mentioned and see if you're lucky enough to live near one. I ALWAYS recommend the local guy if he's on the good list. Having them close by for any re-burns, adjustments, or the option of live tuning is priceless.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I have a tony wildman 4 position chip and love it but lately I'm not too happy. The switch broke a couple months ago and he will not return my calls or emails about it. I've sent SEVERAL. I understand problems and hear he is going through something but unless you can talk to him on the phone I'd hold off ordering from him. I was able to fix my switch thankfully. FWIW, I only use the tow setting and stock setting. They all suck except the stock setting in traffic because the throttle is really touchy but tow setting really will tow! It also gets my best gas mileage. I've gained 5 mpg easy since getting it and that alone keeps me happy with it.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RRranch
I have a tony wildman 4 position chip and love it but lately I'm not too happy. The switch broke a couple months ago and he will not return my calls or emails about it. I've sent SEVERAL. I understand problems and hear he is going through something but unless you can talk to him on the phone I'd hold off ordering from him. I was able to fix my switch thankfully. FWIW, I only use the tow setting and stock setting. They all suck except the stock setting in traffic because the throttle is really touchy but tow setting really will tow! It also gets my best gas mileage. I've gained 5 mpg easy since getting it and that alone keeps me happy with it.
Send another email. That's the best way to get a hold of someone. Randall is also helping him out so email response should be better now.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
My only "touchy" tune from PHP is the 140hp tune, and it isn't bad at all. I don't have a problem driving it daily in any settings.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Scangauge is good also, I got one and have it set up to scan several things at once. It doesn't do EGT's though, that one is #1 to have. Did I say that EGT's is the number one gauge to have??

Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Scangauge is good also, I got one and have it set up to scan several things at once. It doesn't do EGT's though, that one is #1 to have. Did I say that EGT's is the number one gauge to have??
Yeah, but what about EGT's Glenn???

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by deadsenator
Yeah, but what about EGT's Glenn???

Oh ya, don't forget the EGT gauge! Thanks for reminding me of that!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I believe its possible to setup the scangauge to get EGT numbers with an extra sensor, but there are far more important things for that gauge to monitor while your running.

Get a separate EGT gage. That's my opinion.

Quick Reply: Whats The Best Kind Of Tuner For A 1996 F350?