Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Whats The Best Kind Of Tuner For A 1996 F350? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1077245-whats-the-best-kind-of-tuner-for-a-1996-f350.html)

CountryGirl3294 06-22-2011 01:10 PM

Whats The Best Kind Of Tuner For A 1996 F350?

I have a 1996 F350 7.3L with 240,000 miles on it and I want to place a tuner in it for better performance but not trash the truck itself. This is basically a daily driver but also a farm truck where I pull trailers and whatnot. I want the truck to have better towing, power, mpg, and etc. I have been looking at several different truck tuners but I am not the most experienced with tuners. What would you guys recommend for my year and purpose?

Thanks,
Ashley

bad12jr 06-22-2011 01:14 PM

A six position chip from any of the following.
Swamps
Beans
Gearhead Performance
Total Diesel Performance( Tony Wildman )
Power Hungry Performance
Just to name a few. All these companys use the same chip and can reburn them. Get a hold of each tuner and talk to them about what you want. I will say Gearhead has great customer service.

pjwoolw 06-22-2011 01:33 PM

Dp-Tuner and Tyrant Diesel are a couple of more.

Midwest Dually 06-22-2011 02:18 PM

I have heard many good things about those as well! The DP one I have heard often!

Tom S 06-22-2011 03:46 PM

I have DP-Tuner in mine and am happy.

Brown Falcon 06-22-2011 07:33 PM

I love mine from Power Hungry Performance.

Just keep in mind that you won't be gaining much from the chip without a better intake (6637 from RiffRaff Diesel is good) and a bigger downpipe (3").

It is also highly reccommended that you install gauges to keep an eye on your Exhaust Gas temps, Transmission Temps, and Boost

F350-6 06-22-2011 08:21 PM

Welcome to FTE Ashley. While you've seen many suggestions here, you'll notice the ones who advertise in all those magazines are not mentioned. There's a good reason for that. The custom chips with switch on the fly capability are MUCH better than anything you can buy off the shelf at a local store. The custom chips aren't really much more expensive, but offer much better benefits.

If you're going to be using the truck for towing or playing, you really need to install a set of gauges so you can monitor a couple of things to help protect the motor. Auto or Stick? For an auto you should add a temp gauge, and maybe a shift kit and auxillary cooler.

Talyn 06-22-2011 10:18 PM

Ease of use, I always recommend DP tuner.

I'd stay away from beans or swamps. Just my .02 on that though.

PwerStroke99 06-23-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by pjwoolw (Post 10490582)
Dp-Tuner and Tyrant Diesel are a couple of more.

I agree with Pete. I have ran both of these tuners and both are great. Currently running Tyrant Tunes and Cale is great to deal with. Kinda difficult to get a hold of because he is a busy guy just getting his business off the ground.

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 10492404)
Ease of use, I always recommend DP tuner.

I'd stay away from beans or swamps. Just my .02 on that though.

Talyn, if you are going to NOT recommend these two companies, you should give your reasons. Both companies have a pretty good reputation and have done well with their tunes.

To the OP, any of the above Tuners will do great. Like one person said, call all them and talk to them and go from there. GOod luck with your decision

Talyn 06-23-2011 08:13 AM

Ken, seeing as you don't visit our site here that much, You'd not understand that lots of people on here have problems with swamps and beans.

I don't have to explain myself on that.

Jeff was just pretty much naming everyone off.

PwerStroke99 06-23-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 10493481)
Ken, seeing as you don't visit our site here that much, You'd not understand that lots of people on here have problems with swamps and beans.

I don't have to explain myself on that.

Jeff was just pretty much naming everyone off.

I dont visit this site much? obviously u dont pay much attention to me then, which i am glad for. just because i dont have 14,000 posts, doesnt mean i dont visit this site

Anyway, what i highlighted is what im talkming about. maybe explain some of those problems as to why u dont recommend them. just makes things a little easier. I have been around these forums a long time, i know all about all of the tuners out there, the pros and cons to all of them. Dont act like i have not a clue about any of them

Awitte58 06-23-2011 10:25 AM

Welcome Ashley! :-X25

Definately the TS 6 position chip and any of the custom tuners they previously mentioned are good. My friends and I have experience with Tony Wildman and he does good tunes, but he has some stuff going on so his service takes longer.. Wont elaborate more.

What I would recommend to get the best performance out of your chip is like they recommend. If it is BONE STOCK then you should get a larger DownPipe for your exhaust installed(I would straight pipe too to get rid of the kitty). I would then recommend getting gauges too like f350-6 said so you dont burn up the inside parts of the motor. Trans temp, pyro, and boost are good if you have an Auto.

I like this package at glowshift. close to $200 for everything you need...they change colors and bunch of cool stuff to match your dash or whatever.
92-97 Ford F-Series Truck Custom Diesel Gauges Package

Those two add-ons with your chip will make it perform great. IMHO. :-drink

Oh and Ken and Keith.. you make a song pop into my head.. "Why cant weee be friends. Why cant weee be friends."
:-X14
:-duel1

superduty4x4 06-23-2011 10:39 AM

Talyn I'm curious how a rotary knob is any harder to use than an Ex switcher from DP? I don't smell what you're stepping in there.

RÖENTGEEP 06-23-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by CountryGirl3294 (Post 10490508)
I have a 1996 F350 7.3L with 240,000 miles on it and I want to place a tuner in it for better performance but not trash the truck itself. This is basically a daily driver but also a farm truck where I pull trailers and whatnot. I want the truck to have better towing, power, mpg, and etc. I have been looking at several different truck tuners but I am not the most experienced with tuners. What would you guys recommend for my year and purpose?

Thanks,
Ashley

X2 in the WELCOME a board to the best forum ever.
I think almost every thing has been exposed above about the tuners so you can make a decision. I have the TW chip (Tony Wildman) and Im happy with it. :-drink
ps: DONT hear thouse fights between members here, are very rare. :-X19

CountryGirl3294 06-23-2011 11:25 AM

Thank you guys for all your help. Yes I am replacing the stock down pipe with a 3 inch then from the 3 inch going to a 4 inch straight pipe. I have been looking at gauges but haven't found a decent site, so thank you for a great site! I will look into a DP tuner because more of you guys recommended that one over the others.