1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

"65 Cab Repair - Swiss Cheese version!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"65 Cab Repair - Swiss Cheese version!

Hey all. Been awhile since Ive posted any work. Ive been working away at the old girl, but Ive been a little limited on time. Finally got some real work done today though. I will let a few of the pics speak for themselves.

You can see the floor is in pretty rough shape.

3500 PSI power washer with a sand tip on it. Works well, and safer than a sandblaster. Doesnt get down to bare metal as fast as a sandblaster though.

You can see the full extent of the floor damage here.

Some cutting work started here. I just cut what I have to. Can always cut out more if need be.

Cab support mounting area cut out and ready for new steel.

New steel in place for cab support.

Clamped and prepped for welding.

New cab support in place.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Last pic was a shot of the drain area after some cutting of the panel and spotwelds.

And with the drain panel removed. Its screwed to say the least and will require major re-constructive surgery.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Last pic is a shot of the lower door pillar removed. I left about 1/4" extra metal in place so I can cut a little more to make everything fit.

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me. I have to sandblast again to get things cleaned up enough actually work on it. I have to fab alot of metal. I have a bunch of welding to do. In other words, I have a crap load of work to do...

I posted all the pics on my Facebook page here with comments: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=c7ac4bc01c

My Picasa/Google web album has every pic Ive taken since I started here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081911...0196/FailTruck

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow you guys back east have it rough, I'm throwing away a cab that's way better than that!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Actually bought the truck in NC in '94. It wasnt in perfect shape then. I drove it in WI for 2 winters. And then it sat for 13 years outside. I thought about junking it, but it has too much sentimental value, heh.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear that hooch when I see what the tin worms do to stuff back there. I just got a bumper off a 66 custome cab out a pull and save he would probably crap if he saw what kind of shape that cab is in. Hooch we got to get together and figure out a way to make some money getting cabs front clips and stuff from out here to back there.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Blasted the bad rust off today. Forgot my camera today because I was a little rushed. Ill get some pics up next weekend.

Other than the obvious, a real hurdle here is getting the lower inner door mounts in exactly the right spot when I rebuild the panel both up and down and in and out.

I thought I could possibly layer up some steel and use a piece of 16g as a place I can mount the hinge to. I also will need to go pull the lower hinges out of the doors and use them as a pattern to get the nuts in the right spot. Anyone have any ideas beyond that?

Buzz44, jhooch: Im in the market for a set of inner fenders and a battery box from a 65/66 if you know of any... I thought about trying to get some outer fenders from a donor, but after talking with my body guy he suggested just ordering repro's as in the end it will cost me more up front, but less body work, so it all will be about the same cost by the time the paint is on.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buzz44
I hear that hooch when I see what the tin worms do to stuff back there. I just got a bumper off a 66 custome cab out a pull and save he would probably crap if he saw what kind of shape that cab is in. Hooch we got to get together and figure out a way to make some money getting cabs front clips and stuff from out here to back there.
You ain't a kiddin there!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C G B
Last pic was a shot of the drain area after some cutting of the panel and spotwelds.

And with the drain panel removed. Its screwed to say the least and will require major re-constructive surgery.

looks like you could use replacment section's.

i have both sides (from an AZ truck) already cut out and you can HAVE them if you want.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Bill W shoot me an email at corwinbos@gmail.com about what panels you have that you want to get rid of.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
nonoodlez
Senior User
You win! Now that's some REAL rust issues. I officially retract any complaints I may have ever made in the past

Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM
99hosss
Senior User
I'm so thankful for my truck, keep up the good work

Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Thanks guys. I am always up for a challenge. And this definitely is one.

I hope to have the frame coated, and the body done by winter. Depending on what BillW has laying around, it could potentially cut at least 20 hours of fab work off this rebuild and be correct, instead of me playing a guessing game trying to piece stuff back together.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
From Swiss cheese to cream cheese... keep up the fine work!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here is what i have...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: "65 Cab Repair - Swiss Cheese version!