1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Please help!!! 2.3 won't stay running.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM
70truck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!!! 2.3 won't stay running.

I just bought an '89 Ranger XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 2.3 (Twin plug w/o distributor) for a DD. It has been parked for 6 months (they said). To begin it wouldn't get fuel to the fuel rail because the pump wasn't working, so I pulled the bed and replaced the pump/sending unit and the fuel filter. Now it will run but only if you work the throttle back and forth. If you try to hold it at a steady RPM or let it idle it will cut off. If you squirt carb cleaner in the TB while holding the throttle half way it runs fine. I haven't checked the pressure yet but if you push in the valve on the fuel rail it seems to have great pressure. I also tried unplugging all injectors but one and can get it to run off just one injector (tried that with each injector). I have also replaced the plugs and wires, and the TPS. I checekd the compression and all 4 ranged from 198-205 psi. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Checked the fuel pressure, 38 psi with the switch on and 45 psi while running.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I used a transfer pump and removed all the old gas from the tank and put 6 gallons of 93 octane in when I replace the pump.

EDIT: FIXED..... Turned out to be the MAP sensor.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 70truck
I just bought an '89 Ranger XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 2.3 (Twin plug w/o distributor) for a DD. It has been parked for 6 months (they said). To begin it wouldn't get fuel to the fuel rail because the pump wasn't working, so I pulled the bed and replaced the pump/sending unit and the fuel filter. Now it will run but only if you work the throttle back and forth. If you try to hold it at a steady RPM or let it idle it will cut off. If you squirt carb cleaner in the TB while holding the throttle half way it runs fine. I haven't checked the pressure yet but if you push in the valve on the fuel rail it seems to have great pressure. I also tried unplugging all injectors but one and can get it to run off just one injector (tried that with each injector). I have also replaced the plugs and wires, and the TPS. I checekd the compression and all 4 ranged from 198-205 psi. Thanks for your help.
thats sounds very weird.......I am not sure what the issue is but I would probably make sure the air filter and intake is all clear. I would pull the IACV off and clean it out good, as well as clean the TB.............also pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if you are getting gas in it..........and if none of that works you might do a fuel pressure test as well as a fuel volume test.....I assume you put the fuel filter in the correct way........do you have 2 filters and do you have 2 fuel pumps or just the one in the tank

Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM
70truck
Junior User
Originally Posted by powersmoked
thats sounds very weird.......I am not sure what the issue is but I would probably make sure the air filter and intake is all clear. Most of the time I have the air intake pipe off which would exclude the filter. I would pull the IACV off and clean it out good, as well as clean the TB..... I had the throttle body off when I changed the tps and it didn't look too dirty and the iacv moved freely .......also pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if you are getting gas in it.... the vacuum line was off and i put it back on with no change. how would I tell if its getting gas just by pulling the vacuum off ......and if none of that works you might do a fuel pressure test gonna pick up a fuel pressure guage on the way home today as well as a fuel volume test. don't know how to do that, but would give it a try if someone can tell me how ....I assume you put the fuel filter in the correct way. lol, yes .......do you have 2 filters only seen the one on the frame rail and do you have 2 fuel pumps or just the one in the tank just the one in the tank.
Replied in red. Thanks!!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:47 AM
70truck
Junior User
Fixed: Turned out to be the MAP sensor.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Figuring you mean the MAF-mass air flow, sensor. They can be a headache.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by customstringer
Figuring you mean the MAF-mass air flow, sensor. They can be a headache.
He meant MAP older vehicles used a MAP. Then they switched to MAF's

Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM
customstringer
Elder User
Here I thought it was a typo, nice to learn something new, er, old. Thanks.