after the smog pump is gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:38 PM
rog_j
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Here's the scoop. I just bought an 85 F-250 2wd (460, automatic) and I couldn't be happier to have bought a ford.
The guy that owned it before me had taken the smog pump off, and also plugged the tubes that go to the exhaust manifolds. I didn't realize how many other vacumn lines he had plugged (with screws, nails, bolts, and even a piece of wood dowel) until I got the truck home....lol

Anyway, I would love nothing more than to just reach in there and grab a handful of those cheap plastic vacumn lines, and send them hurling over the fence. There's a quite a few of them that aren't hooked to anything. I'm assuming that all I need to have hooked up to vacumn is the vacumn advance, the auto trans, and the EGR valve. Am I mistaken?

Also, does the EGR vacumn come from a port on the carb?. or on the manifold?... You'll have to excuse my ignorance here. Every car I've owned up till now has been non-EGR.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 PM
airharley
Postmaster

The EGR vacum line should go to a thermo-switch mounted on the front of the intake manifold. It has a fitting with two vacum line connections on it (maybe more) made of black plastic. The vacum line should come from a ported vacum source on the carb and then route through the switch to the EGR diaphram. The engine should be fully warmed up before the EGR opens and it needs to only open after the throttle is opened. But you are right about the other lines. Just make sure the vac-advance for the distributor comes from a ported source also. Otherwise you will be running the engine advanced at idle.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:58 PM
rog_j
Freshman User

Airharley,
Thanks for the reply. I have one more question. My truck has dual fuel tanks, and there seems to be a vacumn line running along the frame rail to a spot near the fuel tanks. Is this for the tank selector switch?.... And if so, does it just hook to a manifold vacumn source?.....

thanks again.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:36 PM
airharley
Postmaster

The dual fuel question is a mystery to me. I will not try to blow smoke and tell you anything I don't know. Sorry man, but I can assume you are right. But without a picture I could never really know.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM
mchild
Senior User

The only vacuum lines running to the tanks would be for the vapor recovery system. There are two (or were at one time) charcol canisters that the line(s) ran to from the fule tanks to collect gas vapor. The canisters were operated by vaccum and thermo switches (I think they are switched) from the engine so if they are now gone make sure the vacumm supply lines have been plugged.

I have removed all emissions equipment from my truck and it now has two vaccum source "trees" on the intake manifold that have several nipples each and all are capped. There is also at least one thermo switch but it does not need to have the nipples capped since it no longer has a source vauum source. The only functioning vacuum line is from ported vacuum on the carb to the distributor advance. It is better to pull the entire line and cap at the nipple since the lines can dry rot and break allowing for vacuum leaks. Plus, it cleans up a mess in the enogine compartment by removing all the old vacuum lines.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 03-31-2003, 10:38 PM
rog_j
Freshman User

Thanks again guys. A friend also told me that the line to the tank was probably for the charcoal canister. Glad to get a second opinion tho.

I have also pulled all of the emissions lines off my truck, and plugged every port that they were hooked to. Like "mchild", the only one I have hooked up now, is for the vacumn advance. The truck seems to be running a lot better now. Probably because a couple of the old plastic lines were broke, or unhooked and not plugged.

The only problem I've had with this truck since I bought it (2 weeks ago) was a frozen parking brake. I got 2 new cables today and took care of it.

By the way, I don't know if any of you guys has ever been to the "rock auto" web site, but they seem to have some pretty good prices on parts. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but if I could've waited a couple days, I could've saved about $15 on the 2 parking brake cables alone.

<a href="http://www.rockauto.com">Rock auto</a>