Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Fred C. Nelles property sold

From the Whittier Daily News. The city of Whittier has been working toward getting this property out of CA state hands since it closed in 2004. Looks like it will finally happen.

State sells Fred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility for $42.5 million to Brookfield Homes - Whittier Daily News

I love the photo below. They happened to shoot it in the spring while all the violet Jacaranda blooms were open.

The place has always been locked down, and even since it closed no one has been allowed to explore it. From the perimeter you can see many old building of architechural and historical interest. I'm expecting there to be battles over what to save and what to demolish.

They have been using it frequently for production filming since it closed. I often see the parking lot filled with production trailers.

As a teenager, my church basketball team was invited to play the bad boys school team. It was scary to play ball with the underage murderers and rapists. They weren't a very good team.

Merle Haggard escaped from Nelles in 1952.

Click the image to open in full size.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Good for Whittier. Hopefully it won't take forever to get the project moving. Might even drop the local cost of used brick when they start demolition

Not to drag this too far off topic Bill, but what facility was the bond issue for?

Quote:
The sale of the centralized property will not close until a nearly $2.8 million bond issue used to construct a vehicle repair and storage facility is paid off.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
Not to drag this too far off topic Bill, but what facility was the bond issue for?
I don't know, and was wondering the same thing. I probably didn't live in the city at the time that was done, so didn't get to vote on the issue. Assuming it was a city issue, which isn't clear. But 2.8MM is a tiny little bond, and doesn't sound like a state bond. Or maybe it is a very old bond and that is all that is left outstanding.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I'm wondering if it could be where the Public Storage facility is, on Whittier Blvd. just to the East...I think it's rear boundary is adjacent to the Nellis property. Seems like that was built in the late 80's/early 90's if memory serves.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter

Tags
c, correctional, facility, film, filmed, filming, fred, nelles, nellis, property, sale, shooting, sold, visit, youth